Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Hes not though. Kotkaniemi clearly is the better potential "two-way" player, Id also say his IQ is on the same off the charts level. Where he loses steam is his hands and his aggressiveness offensively.

Pretty much. Pettersson is more like Marner/Kane/Gaudreau and KK is pretty unique in terms of tools/size/reach etc. Thinking of a comparable for KK is hard.. i think maybe like a bigger Hischier? They bring different qualities to the table.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pretty much. Pettersson is more like Marner/Kane/Gaudreau and KK is pretty unique in terms of tools/size/reach etc. Thinking of a comparable for KK is hard.. i think maybe like a bigger Hischier? They bring different qualities to the table.
RyJo... but RyJo is so lazy and such a head case that it's not a good one.

Kopitar is the only one that really fits IMO.

Reactions: jiboy and Weber Fan

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

No, those three wingers aren't comparables for Pettersson. Comparables don't end at skill level and bottom line point production.

Playstyle and positionally, his comparable would be Datsyuk. KK would be Kopitar.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I see Nick Backstrom
Thats the problem here too, Backstrom never was a good shooter. Well, not as good as Kotkaniemi could be. I see puck protection as being similar, but there's some strengths in Kotkaniemis game that Backstrom doesn't have, mainly the shooting.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Thats the problem here too, Backstrom never was a good shooter. Well, not as good as Kotkaniemi could be. I see puck protection as being similar, but there's some strengths in Kotkaniemis game that Backstrom doesn't have, mainly the shooting.

Backstrom has an excellent shot, as evidenced by regularly being between 10-15% accuracy and never under league average. He just doesnt use his excellent wrister enough.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Backstrom has an excellent shot, as evidenced by regularly being between 10-15% accuracy and never under league average. He just doesnt use his excellent wrister enough.
Not sure I agree. His shot isn't near as good as what I think Kotkaniemi could have. His wrister is similar to Galchenyuk, kinda heavy, kinda all over the place and kinda slow to wind up, at least from what Ive seen.

Has he ever taken a clapper, too ? No doubt, he would've been a better goalscorer had he not played with the GOAT, but still.

One thing that I'd love Kotkaniemi to steal from Backstrom is the reverse hits in the corners, he's not the most physical but whenever someone tries to hit him they always end up on their butt, I don't know how he does it every time but it's beautiful.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
KK's shot reminds me of William Nylander's and Galchenyuk's. Since it is a heavy almost slap shot like wrister; basically the big Bertha, maybe he should try shooting from further away and more often. In soccer video games picking corners from a distance type of thing.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure I agree. His shot isn't near as good as what I think Kotkaniemi could have. His wrister is similar to Galchenyuk, kinda heavy, kinda all over the place and kinda slow to wind up, at least from what Ive seen.

Has he ever taken a clapper, too ? No doubt, he would've been a better goalscorer had he not played with the GOAT, but still.

One thing that I'd love Kotkaniemi to steal from Backstrom is the reverse hits in the corners, he's not the most physical but whenever someone tries to hit him they always end up on their butt, I don't know how he does it every time but it's beautiful.

That would be the least accurate description of Backstroms shot, imo. His wrister's quick and accurate, nothing like Galchenyuk. He can snipe it, but he's always been a low volume shooter.

Reactions: Apeironic

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
No, those three wingers aren't comparables for Pettersson. Comparables don't end at skill level and bottom line point production.

Playstyle and positionally, his comparable would be Datsyuk. KK would be Kopitar.

ok

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Hes not though. Kotkaniemi clearly is the better potential "two-way" player, Id also say his IQ is on the same off the charts level. Where he loses steam is his hands and his aggressiveness offensively.
Kotkaniemi is closer to Danault, I’ll give you that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Barkov
Kopitar
RoR
Backstrom
Bergeron
Getzlaf

If he can become like any of the above, we’re set for a long time.

Last edited:

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I agree about Backstrom shot : its very quick and accurate he has a sick wrist shot but he really prefers to pass it.

Kotka as of now is a bit slow on the release stick seems too long but the potential is there for something similar to Kopitar shot.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What can we expect from him this year? 50-60 pts?
If CJ gives the kid some real PP time, he could get 50-60 pts....

I know the kid hit a wall last year, but don't think that will happen this year, let's hope Clod gives this kid some ice time and the chance to rack up some points...he should be the 2nd line centre, not Danault.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Hischier is far more dynamic than KK and probably always will be but they both have terrific IQ and an underrated, very complete skillset to go with it. KK has more potential physically though, looked like a twig last year but the frame is certainly there.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I know the kid hit a wall last year, but don't think that will happen this year, let's hope Clod gives this kid some ice time and the chance to rack up some points...he should be the 2nd line centre, not Danault.
Its not PP time he needs, its ES icetime and better wingers

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

A wall called Chu-Rien

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Its not PP time he needs, its ES icetime and better wingers
It's both really...........my thinking was, our PP was kinda decent when he did get a chance. We were so awful on the pp last year, he was one of the few guys who actually skills, and felt he should be on the pp alot more, but Clod gonna Clod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad