Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
this season he will be a bit stronger , he won't hit a wall that soon and he will see more PP time .

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if he'll reach that weight. He has a narrow frame, he's not gonna be a really big guy imo. Could be wrong, he might have a spur of growth widening his shoulders.
But I see him staying around the 190-195 mark, slim, being agile.
He doesn't need to bulk up to 210.

Between my 18th and 20th birthday I went from like 34-36 in my shoulders to a 42. Kotkaniemi is built like I was, except I'm 5'10. This kid will be over 200Lbs easily.

Reactions: Fixxer

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Between my 18th and 20th birthday I went from like 34-36 in my shoulders to a 42. Kotkaniemi is built like I was, except I'm 5'10. This kid will be over 200Lbs easily.
Not everyone responds the same way, not to mention, your training is likely different.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Not everyone responds the same way, not to mention, your training is likely different.

I worked construction one summer and was a university student the rest of the time going to the gym maybe twice a week. Kotkaniemi will likely have a much more intense training regime than I did, that being said I have little doubt in my mind he is not going to fill out to be a tank, his father looks significantly bigger in terms of chest/shoulder and is shorter.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It is more important that Kotkaniemi gets quicker for now, strength will come in his 20s, not now. Strength is acquired through time.

won't hurt. I'm really surprised at how well he moved around though for an 18 y/o who was supposed to have 'skating issues'.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Mostly overblown by people who didnt watch him.

He made gigantic strides from september 2017 to june 2018.

yeah if he can get significantly stronger and faster he'll really be something. He's not the flashiest but man his skill set is so solid. I mean he could cap out as a really good #2 but the potential is really there for something much much more. His last 2 years of production puts him with some very good company.

The lowered expectations are obviously a safe bet but I truly think the upside is there with a lot of our kids.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
yeah if he can get significantly stronger and faster he'll really be something. He's not the flashiest but man his skill set is so solid. I mean he could cap out as a really good #2 but the potential is really there for something much much more. His last 2 years of production puts him with some very good company.

The lowered expectations are obviously a safe bet but I truly think the upside is there with a lot of our kids.

Lowered expectations just come with the 18 years old season he had. People cant look at thing relatively. Its all in a bubble for them. If you dont tear it up youre never going to. People talk about Pettersson but Pettersson at the same age had just put up 40 points in the Allsvenskan. Go up several level for 30 points in the NHL by Kotkaniemi.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
100% agree

If you think the contrary, them you just focused on points. Armia and Lehkonen 200 ft game help KK a lot and that really doesn’t appear on a scoresheet

You want Kotka to become a franchise C, not a defensive 2nd/3rd line C.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
You want Kotka to become a franchise C, not a defensive 2nd/3rd line C.

Yes, and that’s the goal, nobody said the contrary

He will gradually get there but playing with two guys that plays a 200ft game help him last year cover mistakes the fans like you don’t even see

He’ll be 19, unless you’re a generational talent, can you just watch him grow into the player he’s projected to be?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Just rewatched his u18 highlights even if i watched it like 30times, i realy hope he starts playing with the confidence he had in that tournament!! Keeping puck possession, not being afraid to make creative play, driving the play etc. This kid is special.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just rewatched his u18 highlights even if i watched it like 30times, i realy hope he starts playing with the confidence he had in that tournament!! Keeping puck possession, not being afraid to make creative play, driving the play etc. This kid is special.

If he struggles like he did at the end of last year, I hope they give him time in Laval. It did wonders for Mete. Let him play with confidence in all situations. There's no rush. His long term development is most important.

And with Poehling in the mix, we have a few options at 3c, including weal and cousins.

Reactions: angusyoung

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Good thing we have Lehkonen to show KK the ropes. Lehkonen is a notorious gym rat, he's an insanely hard worker.

Reactions: Jaska

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, and that’s the goal, nobody said the contrary

He will gradually get there but playing with two guys that plays a 200ft game help him last year cover mistakes the fans like you don’t even see

He’ll be 19, unless you’re a generational talent, can you just watch him grow into the player he’s projected to be?

Lol, "fans like you".

How about you look around the league and realize most stars didnt get 3rd line minutes with fourth line scrubs?

Not with Clod around.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He was physically dominant in that tourney- but in the NHL he was dominated physically. That's the difference. And that's why his physical development is so important. Looks like he's bulking up, and for me that's great news. He's got to win with strength and length- he's got the length, just needs the strength. Last year he was just knocked off the puck with ease, the guy was knocked to the ice almost every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad