Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Seeing people bicker about Danault and Kotkaniemi on the wing is laughable.

Why the **** are you slotting Poehling as a center in the NHL anyway?

Jesus Christ, if the kid can't crack top 9 send him to AHL. What's the big ****ing deal.

Roll Domi, Kotkaniemi and Danault and let Poehling force your hand.

Will it really be THAT bad to have Poehling, Suzuki and Brook in AHL at same time, even for half a season?

We took it slow with Subban.
We only let Price play 2 years after he was drafted and he killed every level, even won AHL cup and AHL MVP. There was nothing left. He won WJC gold, mvp. CHL goalie of the year. Nothing and we still let him play that AHL stint anyway.

Keep the top 3 as is, let Poehling push one out or get big minutes in AHL. Problem solved.
I agree. Except that I see Poehling as a viable option for the fourth line. We are deep on wings, so he'll be able to play with relatively skilled linemates and he's the kind of player who can climb himself up from the #4 center spot, as Danault did.

Reactions: Saku K

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The obsession around Danault needs to stop. He's a good player, but not that good. He should be candidate number 1 by a mile as far as who should play on the wing.
Don't agree at all. i don't think he's a number 1, but do think he can slot in as a number 2 proving you have a reasonably strong 3, but realistically he's at worst our 3rd best center for the next few seasons at least.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Jesus Christ, if the kid can't crack top 9 send him to AHL. What's the big ****ing deal.

Will it really be THAT bad to have Poehling, Suzuki and Brook in AHL at same time, even for half a season?

We only let Price play 2 years after he was drafted and he killed every level, even won AHL cup and AHL MVP. There was nothing left. He won WJC gold, mvp. CHL goalie of the year. Nothing and we still let him play that AHL stint anyway.

Keep the top 3 as is, let Poehling push one out or get big minutes in AHL. Problem solved.
This, i think, would make too much sense, but complaining is more fun. I don't see any reason anyone needs to switch to wing ATM.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Actually at Cancun. Take a long rest. Dont abuse with it. Right. Stalkers gonna stalk.

Been playing a huge numbers of game on his D and D+1 year. Whether with Assat. His Finland NT. The Draft June 2018 period (exercises,etc). The rookies development camp. The official camp. And officially with the Habs into the NHL. Been busely busy. I don't even need to calculate the total. We already know it approximately how much it was.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Why were Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Ryan Poehling tried at left wing at season end when they were drafted as centermen?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The obsession around Danault needs to stop. He's a good player, but not that good. He should be candidate number 1 by a mile as far as who should play on the wing.

What? Literally no one here is obsessed with Danault in a positive way. All I've seen are people attacking him.

He was by far the most important centerman on the team this year, however, just from a defensive standpoint. I would eventually like to see him in a 3c role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archijerej

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I agree. Except that I see Poehling as a viable option for the fourth line. We are deep on wings, so he'll be able to play with relatively skilled linemates and he's the kind of player who can climb himself up from the #4 center spot, as Danault did.

If Domi stays at C, Montreal isn't all that deep on the wing, actually. Not deep enough to supply quality wingers for Poehling, not if suzuki plays in the AHL, as he perhaps should.

LW is much deeper than RW, but it is not that deep. IMO, Armia is a 4th line RW, not a 3rd line RW. Beyond Gallagher, there is no real quality top-6 right winger; not Shaw, not Byron, not Armia, not Weal.

Montreal needs at least two more scoring wingers to have a strong top-9 and have a solid 4th line because other players like Byron and Shaw have been bumped down as a result.

IMO, here's the short term depth chart for the Habs with players needed to fill the holes identified by Xs:

Drouin - Domi - XXX
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - XXX (eventually, Suzuki, IMO)
Byron - Poehling - Shaw (eventually, Ylonen will replace Byron)
Weal, Armia

Even then, IMO, we need a better 3rd line LW to have real depth in two or three years:

Drouin - Domi - Sizeable, scoring RW?
Anders Lee (Sizeable scoring LW) - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Ylonen
Weal, Armia

Ideally, management manages to land a scoring winger like Anders Lee this offseason for zero assets lost and adds a LHD via the trade route, on top of drafting more of those. Who is traceable for a LHD? Byron, Shaw,Lehkonen, plus Ikonen and one of our 2nd round picks and 5th round picks.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Beyond Gallagher, there is no real quality top-6 right winger; not Shaw, not Byron, not Armia, not Weal.

Why do people on this board always undervalue their own players???

Andrew Shaw had the 32nd most points for a right winger this season. That would put him at almost first liner status.

However, he did this in 63 games!! In points per game, he was 19th among RW.

And you think he is not a top 6?

Jeezus Price.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019

Poehling is the prototypical center.. he has everything. He’s twice as NHL ready as Kotkaniemi. He’s way better than Danault. Poehling won’t be running out of steam a la Kotkaniemi. Poehling would destroy Kotka in 2.2 seconds if they fought to put it all in perspective. Poehling #1 and Kotka #2 will be dynamite in the future. We have two real #1 centerman on our hands. Pittsburgh “lite” problems. I never thought I would live to witness this in the makings.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
What? Literally no one here is obsessed with Danault in a positive way. All I've seen are people attacking him.

He was by far the most important centerman on the team this year however, just from ad efensive standpoint. I would eventually like to see him in a 3c role.

Danault can be Carbo (20g-50p at 3c). We just need to upgrade the top 6 centers so they are bigger offensive threats than Danault.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Not sure I understand the Poehling vs. Danault discussions, these 2 are meant to play together for a few years to form one of the best 3rd line in the league. But for that to happen, KK needs to be more of a constant threat upfront or we need Danault on the top lines. In others words, KK is after Danault offensively and Poehling is after Danault head-on for the whole role occupied by Danault (that will take a while). And then potentially if KK is so good, maybe he'll go after Domi offensively and we can gain Domi at LW. If that happens at the same time as Poehling surpasses Danault, we'll have KK - Poehling - Danault in the middle and this while not the most talented group will be annoying as hell for others teams (and very much like that 1993 team...)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Poehling is the prototypical center.. he has everything. He’s twice as NHL ready as Kotkaniemi. He’s way better than Danault. Poehling won’t be running out of steam a la Kotkaniemi. Poehling would destroy Kotka in 2.2 seconds if they fought to put it all in perspective. Poehling #1 and Kotka #2 will be dynamite in the future. We have two real #1 centerman on our hands. Pittsburgh “lite” problems. I never thought I would live to witness this in the makings.

Go top 3 centers then. That simple. Whoever wins gets it.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Because Claude Julien likes "safe" players like Weal, Thompson and Danault more than mere rookies. (Do not mind the fact that Jesperi had the best defensive numbers on the team, as a C.)
Though from what we saw from weal is a lot of offensive flair, not a defensive player. he created more offense then many since the trade.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Why do people on this board always undervalue their own players???

Andrew Shaw had the 32nd most points for a right winger this season. That would put him at almost first liner status.

However, he did this in 63 games!! In points per game, he was 19th among RW.

And you think he is not a top 6?

Jeezus Price.
Andrew Shaw is a 1st liner then.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Andrew Shaw is a 1st liner then.

The way he played this year, and even with slight regression, I am comfortable with him as a 2nd line RW behind Gallagher.

Of course, there were people here just last year telling us Gallagher is a third line forward.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The way he played this year, and even with slight regression, I am comfortable with him as a 2nd line RW behind Gallagher.

Of course, there were people here just last year telling us Gallagher is a third line forward.
2nd line... yet you posted numbers showing he's a first liner.

so 1st line it is.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
2nd line... yet you posted numbers showing he's a first liner.

so 1st line it is.

Gallagher gets the nod over him. But the numbers I quoted were real. If he were to repeat his ppg from this year for another year or two over 82 games, getting 60 points each year, he would likely be considered a first liner (lower half).

I was merely taking issue with a poster who said that no one other than Gallagher was even a possible top 6 RW. Clearly Shaw is possible.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Gallagher gets the nod over him. But the numbers I quoted were real. If he were to repeat his ppg from this year for another year or two over 82 games, getting 60 points each year, he would likely be considered a first liner (lower half).

I was merely taking issue with a poster who said that no one other than Gallagher was even a possible top 6 RW. Clearly Shaw is possible.
of course he is, you showed it, he's a 1st liner.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sure I understand the Poehling vs. Danault discussions, these 2 are meant to play together for a few years to form one of the best 3rd line in the league. But for that to happen, KK needs to be more of a constant threat upfront or we need Danault on the top lines. In others words, KK is after Danault offensively and Poehling is after Danault head-on for the whole role occupied by Danault (that will take a while). And then potentially if KK is so good, maybe he'll go after Domi offensively and we can gain Domi at LW. If that happens at the same time as Poehling surpasses Danault, we'll have KK - Poehling - Danault in the middle and this while not the most talented group will be annoying as hell for others teams (and very much like that 1993 team...)

If we have enough good centers to make Domi expendable, we will get more for him by trading a 72 point center than by moving him internally to LW.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why were Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Ryan Poehling tried at left wing at season end when they were drafted as centermen?
Kotkaniemi is one of the youngest players ever to play in the NHL and it was Poehling's 1st NHL game. Combine this with the fact that center is the most demanding position and the answer should be crystal clear to anyone with half a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad