Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As in you would have preferred if he played in Laval this year?

Or you want him to develop further next year in Laval?

I want us to build up assets, mainly for the future. IF, I know it's a big if, but IF UFA's want to come here, I wouldn't hesitate to sign a center like Duchene or Hayes even if it meant KK and/or Poehling developing in Laval next year.

Same with Mete and Juulsen if we were to get Karelesson and/or Gardiner.

This way, the young guys still develop. And, when they're really ready, we could trade a vet either for a current position of need or for future 1sts and 2nds or prospects. It's one way of just making us better without taking a step back. If no ufa LD's sign here, I think the best strategy is to stock up on wingers and make a trade during the year. It would have worked with Skinner and Perron last summer. I think we could have gotten a good left D for Skinner, had we picked him up last summer.

But to answer your question about what's best for their development, I think it's impossible to answer. What I can say is I think it would be fine for any of them to have a year in Laval. KK and Mete took big steps this year. But I still think they could take very big steps in their games next year in Laval. When I see how much Mete learned in a couple weeks in Laval, I do wish he had more time there. But I definitely think he'll be at least fine in Montreal next year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If there was a dislike button, I think you'd be the all time leader

Dismissing the fact he is a raw 18 year old kid still learning and gaining experience , you know, because he's just an 18 yr old rookie, is the most asinine thing ive heard yet from you

Yes, I'd be the all time leader for sure. Should have drafted Tkachuk anyways, I guarantee you they move JK to the wing which voids the reason we drafted him at 3.

I'll await more magical downvotes.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I want us to build up assets, mainly for the future. IF, I know it's a big if, but IF UFA's want to come here, I wouldn't hesitate to sign a center like Duchene or Hayes even if it meant KK and/or Poehling developing in Laval next year.

Same with Mete and Juulsen if we were to get Karelesson and/or Gardiner.

This way, the young guys still develop. And, when they're really ready, we could trade a vet either for a current position of need or for future 1sts and 2nds or prospects. It's one way of just making us better without taking a step back. If no ufa LD's sign here, I think the best strategy is to stock up on wingers and make a trade during the year. It would have worked with Skinner and Perron last summer. I think we could have gotten a good left D for Skinner, had we picked him up last summer.

But to answer your question about what's best for their development, I think it's impossible to answer. What I can say is I think it would be fine for any of them to have a year in Laval. KK and Mete took big steps this year. But I still think they could take very big steps in their games next year in Laval. When I see how much Mete learned in a couple weeks in Laval, I do wish he had more time there. But I definitely think he'll be at least fine in Montreal next year.

Skinner wasn't UFA last summer. He gave Carolina a short list of team to be traded to since he wasn't gonna resign there.

Perron wouldn't have land us our wanted LD. His value is pretty low.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed honestly, i spent a lot of my time defending Tkachuk last year to the point it felt like i was almost convincing myself to want to draft him even tho I wanted kotkaniemi all the way.

The hate was so bad, I was merely trying to explain "settling" for Tkachuk if all the players we wanted were gone was hardly the END OF THE WORLD as some were vehemently making it seem like it would be.

I remember some people saying Tkachuk was not even a top 10 value. What a joke.

Reactions: Redux91 and jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I remember some people saying Tkachuk was not even a top 10 value. What a joke.
I was also mocked......and then when Poehling was drafted....”BUST” was a common refrain.

Then KK was gonna be held back because of his skating, then it was confirmed after his first few games where he was lost.

Now it’s Suzuki, how everything is wrong with him....

Rest assure, whoever we draft this year it’s gonna be all about what’s wrong with him and how we should’ve drafted this or that player.

Some posters all well informed....some have an axe to grind, it’s so obvious.

Reactions: Habby4Life and 417

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
KK listed at 184 lbs is a farce,not even close.more like 160 lbs. At his light weight,he has to be quicker so as not to be plastered. But adding another 20-25 lbs over the summer will help tremendously. He needs a good program to address this,very conceivable to do.

Poehling just need to add a few lbs's and work on more quickness.

You can't really gain 20-25 lbs in a summer. Not that much muscle.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I experienced the same thing my friend. I still think we should have grabbed him.

We would have done it if they would not have been incapable of drafting 1 good Centerman in the past 7 years......KK was picked on needs. Pure and simple. Yet....he will be a very good pick when all is said and done. A top 6 player that once he will become stronger, will become as good as Scheifele is.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Agreed honestly, i spent a lot of my time defending Tkachuk last year to the point it felt like i was almost convincing myself to want to draft him even tho I wanted kotkaniemi all the way.

The hate was so bad, I was merely trying to explain "settling" for Tkachuk if all the players we wanted were gone was hardly the END OF THE WORLD as some were vehemently making it seem like it would be.

There was a bust possibility. Age and goal totals, there was questions about his goal scoring abilities that if you want to find a power forward, rarely will you aim for a playmaker but mostly a goal scorer. There really was based on what he was showing with his team. Still, he was producing points at in his draft year and that had to be commended. I liked him. But I thought others had more potential. Still believe that Hughes will when all is said and done. But do people dismiss the others that were selected in the top 10 because they are not in the NHL yet? Do people think Quinn Hughes don't have a chance to become more valuable than Tkachuk? How about Boqvist? Did people follow Farabee this year? That top 10 had the potential to be something else....and still has.

There is nothing easier than to love Tkachuk. Big, mean, power forward in the making. Definately top 10 talent. And we will have to wait a few more years to see exactly where he is at.

Is Zadina a bust already?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, I'd be the all time leader for sure. Should have drafted Tkachuk anyways, I guarantee you they move JK to the wing which voids the reason we drafted him at 3.

I'll await more magical downvotes.

JK is a center in the lobg term. Whatever happens in the short term as he decelops physically is just in the short term. He's not Alex Galchenyuk.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
There was a bust possibility. Age and goal totals, there was questions about his goal scoring abilities that if you want to find a power forward, rarely will you aim for a playmaker but mostly a goal scorer. There really was based on what he was showing with his team. Still, he was producing points at in his draft year and that had to be commended. I liked him. But I thought others had more potential. Still believe that Hughes will when all is said and done. But do people dismiss the others that were selected in the top 10 because they are not in the NHL yet? Do people think Quinn Hughes don't have a chance to become more valuable than Tkachuk? How about Boqvist? Did people follow Farabee this year? That top 10 had the potential to be something else....and still has.

There is nothing easier than to love Tkachuk. Big, mean, power forward in the making. Definately top 10 talent. And we will have to wait a few more years to see exactly where he is at.

Is Zadina a bust already?
Definitely not, hard to go from the Q to the NHL. But he’ll be a regular next year so we will see just how good he is.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
They do but it's very hard for an 18 year old kid to get the scripts for those kinds of steroids without major injury.

Super easy, I could name 4 docs of the top of my head who'd write them in Winnipeg alone. And I'm not even from Winnipeg

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Different world. Steroids are everywhere in pro sports. It's already easy for a non-pro to get on them, for pros it's pretty much talk to the right person and boom.
add that non-pro people PAY to take them for personnal benefice. Imagine when theres actually millions of dollar in play.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Different world. Steroids are everywhere in pro sports. It's already easy for a non-pro to get on them, for pros it's pretty much talk to the right person and boom.

They let a lot slide for sure but I don't think they'd allow an 18 year old to get away with it.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
JK is a center in the lobg term. Whatever happens in the short term as he decelops physically is just in the short term. He's not Alex Galchenyuk.

I'll believe it when all is said and done. This team flips directions on a dime, even if it negatively impacts a player.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'll believe it when all is said and done. This team flips directions on a dime, even if it negatively impacts a player.

Most centers that came into the league spend time on the wing, including our very own Plekanec. Plekanec spent 4 years in the AHL, then played 4th line C, then top 9 wing, before finally getting a top 9 C .

Galchenyuk isn't a center because he isn't a center, not because of the way he was developed. What happened to Galchenyuk has nothing to do with what will happen to Kotkaniemi.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
On the contrary. It's people who act as if having a 50 point center (whose usage minute wise, by the way, is more like a #2 by league standards) is some sort of whim of the management and coaching staff, that are not very bright. They act as if we had a true #1 locked up somwhere in the dungeon below the Bell Center by Bergevin's evil regime.
Well, we are already developing our large extremely skilled center as a 3rd liner/4th line winger and are planning on doing the same with Suzuki. Brooks will be more than likely be developed off side as well. Poehling? He matched 1/3 of Danault’s goal production in one game and is being slated to play as a 4th liner... At least it will be at center.
The problem is not not being able draft or develop 1st line centers, but sacrificing their development for players like Danault, Drouin, Desharnais, etc.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Most centers that came into the league spend time on the wing, including our very own Plekanec. Plekanec spent 4 years in the AHL, then played 4th line C, then top 9 wing, before finally getting a top 9 C .

Galchenyuk isn't a center because he isn't a center, not because of the way he was developed. What happened to Galchenyuk has nothing to do with what will happen to Kotkaniemi.

If JK faulters out of the gate next year, they move him to the wing for the rest of the season if he has an ounce of success, I believe. I have zero faith in this team's ability to nurture talent under the Bergevin regime.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad