Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yes, I'd be the all time leader for sure. Should have drafted Tkachuk anyways, I guarantee you they move JK to the wing which voids the reason we drafted him at 3.

I'll await more magical downvotes.
If we move Coconut to wing, who are we making room for? Danault? LMFAO!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We would have done it if they would not have been incapable of drafting 1 good Centerman in the past 7 years......KK was picked on needs. Pure and simple. Yet....he will be a very good pick when all is said and done. A top 6 player that once he will become stronger, will become as good as Scheifele is.
I think you are right about how good Kotkaniemi will become and he was drafted because of need. What was surprising during that time was how vitriolic a lot of people were towards drafting Brady Tkachuk.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If JK faulters out of the gate next year, they move him to the wing for the rest of the season if he has an ounce of success, I believe. I have zero faith in this team's ability to nurture talent under the Bergevin regime.

You sure you're not just frustrated with Bergevin (rightfully so) and therefore looking to take your frustration out on any move, whether it's a move that makes sense or not.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think you are right about how good Kotkaniemi will become and he was drafted because of need. What was surprising during that time was how vitriolic a lot of people were towards drafting Brady Tkachuk.

I know. Some were more than others. Still just an opinion. But if you ask me....do you? lol, I'd say it's a very brave opinion to state that a big guy that highly touted wouldn't make it. Easier to say that he would that he wouldn't. And probably because in the end, the ones who thought he would not were just wrong. Happens. Just like it happens 95% of the time to professionnals paid heavily to not miss.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You sure you're not just frustrated with Bergevin (rightfully so) and therefore looking to take your frustration out on any move, whether it's a move that makes sense or not.

I really don't think they have a gameplan for rookies, especially talented ones. Bergy and his cronies, need to go.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I really don't think they have a gameplan for rookies, especially talented ones. Bergy and his cronies, need to go.

Their plan is: see if they're the best player at a position, and keep them up if they look like they can keep up and their development won't be hurt. That's what they did with KK and Mete.

But, yes they need to go. But, no, Moslon will not be getting rid of them at least until trade deadline next year.

Reactions: Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know. Some were more than others. Still just an opinion. But if you ask me....do you? lol, I'd say it's a very brave opinion to state that a big guy that highly touted wouldn't make it. Easier to say that he would that he wouldn't. And probably because in the end, the ones who thought he would not were just wrong. Happens. Just like it happens 95% of the time to professionnals paid heavily to not miss.

The thing is, most people who didn't want Brady Tkachuk didn't want him just because they were only stat watching and his numbers weren't outstanding in the N.C.A.A. (a much older league for a teenager to be playing in than the CHL). So, the reasons for their opinion were kind of pathetic.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The obsession around Danault needs to stop. He's a good player, but not that good. He should be candidate number 1 by a mile as far as who should play on the wing.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The thing is, most people who didn't want Brady Tkachuk didn't want him just because they were only stat watching and his numbers weren't outstanding in the N.C.A.A. (a much older league for a teenager to be playing in than the CHL). So, the reasons for their opinion were kind of pathetic.

Yeah. No.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

People don't realize that stats watching actually is quite accurate. You will not find a guy who doesn't have great stats in junior that has great stats in the NHL. If it happens, it's not even worth mentioning. I'm sure that just by stats watching, you could have better drafts sometimes than teams that spend millions of dollars to go and see them. People love to bash stats watching....but it's actually quite accurate. But yes, having great stats in juniors does not also automatically means you'll succeed as pro either. I know that, don't worry.

Now, yes, there are WAY other factors to take into consideration. But the Tkachuk evaluation or lack thereof wasn't botched because people didn't see him play. I did see him. You saw that he had a good IQ. You saw that he was a fine skater. You saw that he was responsible defensively. You saw all that. What you didn't see....and what sometimes happens, is that there are particular players that will have a greater effect playing with better players despite a better opposition than playing with average teamates while having a worst opposition. And Tkachuk, because of his body, and surely because of his Tkachuk genes, kinda forgot to be intimidated.....A big hurdle for almost every other kid that joined the league. He didn't have that. So those were overlooked.

Yet, again....let's be a little patient. If we can't put a guy in a bust category after 1 year, pretty sure we can't put a guy in a hero category after 1 year too. Also, I will tell you that others in that top 10 and beyond are coming. And will be very very good.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kotkaniemi is a pure centerman. He just needs to build up his strength, stamina and work on improving his skating. If he does that he is gonna be a potential #1 center. Also, faceoffs.... work on that as well.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Seeing people bicker about Danault and Kotkaniemi on the wing is laughable.

Why the f*** are you slotting Poehling as a center in the NHL anyway?

Jesus Christ, if the kid can't crack top 9 send him to AHL. What's the big f***ing deal.

Roll Domi, Kotkaniemi and Danault and let Poehling force your hand.

Will it really be THAT bad to have Poehling, Suzuki and Brook in AHL at same time, even for half a season?

We took it slow with Subban.
We only let Price play 2 years after he was drafted and he killed every level, even won AHL cup and AHL MVP. There was nothing left. He won WJC gold, mvp. CHL goalie of the year. Nothing and we still let him play that AHL stint anyway.

Keep the top 3 as is, let Poehling push one out or get big minutes in AHL. Problem solved.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I can not event begin to describe the audacity behind this idea that Danault should play ahead of our future 1C in Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi will be better than Danault to start next season. Book it.

If he is, he'll prove it. I suspect he'll be better than he was this year and eventually surpass Danault. If it's in pre-season or at game 40. When it happens, it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->