Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Strange take to be honest, why exactly he will not improve significantly next season?

I mean you could be right but I just don't get the logic behind the opinion.
He's going to be a 19 years old kid playing in the NHL. Last year is basically the best you can reasonably expect from him at this stage of his development. Especially if he's used in tougher matchups next season. If he surpasses his offensive output significantly, that's fantastic. But I'm not holding my breath.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Strange take to be honest, why exactly he will not improve significantly next season?

If he doesn't get top-6 ice time then he'll be hard pressed to have a better season statistically. No matter how good you are, when you're on the third line there's only so much you can do.

I would also expect him to be less sheltered this coming year, which would hurt his numbers whether he gets better or not. Now this is talking strictly points not overall play. So it's quite possible he improves his game significantly, yet ends up with similar point totals.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

The infamous “sophomore slump” perhaps

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Kotkaniemi wasn't good enough last year to have a sophomore slump. I sophomore slump for him would just be a another 40ish point season.
I see a sophomore explosion next season————Kotka will go Super Saiyan———

5E9C3DC9-1C8F-4F79-B182-156340611EDA.gif

Reactions: Koijari

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Typical sabotage from CJ

honestely it is stupid... kid now days performs when they are comfortable in their environements, i get the point where you need to earn your spot but that should be strictly from a line up perspective. Spot reserved for vets in the Salon room? i'm pretty sure even veterans don't give a f***, where's the team bonding and chemistry when you create private space for groups?? that's so 1980.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Great article on Radio-Canada. KK talks about his first season in Montreal: Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ma première saison à Montréal | ICI Radio-Canada.ca

LOL Clode "So what's your name?" - hahaha come on man the kid just landed... you have to think it's a joke. Kotka says he was 'poker faced' throughout that exchange, I mean there's no way CJ doesn't know Kotka's name by July 2018.

If Kotka bursted out laughing instead of 'feeling weird', would he have been exhibiting 'lack of character'?? (re: you must know who I am, Clode)

Reactions: demetan33

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Kotkaniemi didn't even get a single top-5 vote for the Calder... What the f...

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-06-19_%C3%A0_21.21.59.png

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The fun thing with Kotkaniemi is that he was drafted as a centerman... and actually played the center position from the start.

I had not read the radio-canada article yet. My mistake.

"Je ne sais pas si les gens le réalisent, mais c’est tout un saut de passer d’ailier gauche de troisième trio en Finlande à joueur de centre dans la Ligue nationale de hockey."
--- Rough translation - I don't know if people realize it, but it'a big step going from the 3rd line as a left winger in Finland, to being a centerman in the NHL".

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The fun thing with Kotkaniemi is that he was drafted as a centerman... and actually played the center position from the start.

I had not read the radio-canada article yet. My mistake.

"Je ne sais pas si les gens le réalisent, mais c’est tout un saut de passer d’ailier gauche de troisième trio en Finlande à joueur de centre dans la Ligue nationale de hockey."
--- Rough translation - I don't know if people realize it, but it'a big step going from the 3rd line as a left winger in Finland, to being a centerman in the NHL".

Yeah, thats a great quote from a great article
I gotta say I agree Julien doesnt come off too great in there lol..

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Kotkaniemi is a nice player but not an outstanding first line center. Suzuki or Peehling may supersede him. Anyway, the Habs have sufficient depth at that position.

The kid has some tools and skill,he didn't show poorly last season. Has a nice shot and plays D not bad,and yet 18. Good smarts and passing ability,needs to work on getting faster though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad