Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I truly hope he doesnt play with Lehkonen and Armia again... sign a Nyquist or MoJo to play with him

BBDDB828-52E8-471D-8124-ED744D07A0E0.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He only played 3C and he was better at it than other options that we had. I think he grew from this year and he'll be a better player for us if he can condition and build strength properly this off-season after his surgery.

I like his potential but it will take time for him to get to where we think he will be.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
If he proved he could play and develop why was he unable to score on the road?

Why was he exhausted?

Why was his ice time diminished?

Why was he moved to the wing?

Why was he scratched?

If his development was successful, why did he play his worst hockey at the end of the season?

He had a knee injury..

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He exceeded expectations for everyone and then didn't play as good the last quarter of the season because of an injury and people still are worried? Some even are blatantly hating on this kid here i don't understand.. He showed everyone glimpses that he can play. He got 11? Goals and they were all different and beauties. It also caught my eye how smart his passes were. He is going to be a future superstar and i'm sure of it.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He already said that the knee injury had no impact on him and if you recall he said he was thinking about playing for Team Finland at the WC's but then a week later goes under the knife in what sounds like just minor clean up from his previous injury I believe.

Ok then maybe he just slumped i guess. But ain't that more than normal for such a young 18yo? I still think the guy proved that his skills will get concistent it really shows. I don't get why some worry so much. To me there is nothing to worry about at all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ok then maybe he just slumped i guess. But ain't that more than normal for such a young 18yo? I still think the guy proved that his skills will get concistent it really shows. I don't get why some worry so much. To me there is nothing to worry about at all.

I'm not worried about him at all, once he gets stronger, fills out his frame the sky is the limit for him as he's smart and skilled. I'd like to see him shoot more and I really, really hope they move Armia to another line, give him a scoring RWer.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm not worried about him at all, once he gets stronger, fills out his frame the sky is the limit for him as he's smart and skilled. I'd like to see him shoot more and I really, really hope they move Armia to another line, give him a scoring RWer.

So either Shaw or Weal with him? fine,but prefer more size than they bring.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He didn't slump, the competition got tougher the closer the playoffs came and the 18 year old Kotkaniemi didn't have another gear.

Reactions: Naslund

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He didn't slump, the competition got tougher the closer the playoffs came and the 18 year old Kotkaniemi didn't have another gear.

I think the coach played him wrongly maybe somehow? I mean i watched some games at the end of the season and was abit frustrated. He clearly was played with the wrong players too imo. I dunno man i just know Kotka is going to be a superstar. He has shown more than enough glimpses of elite passing and vision. Not to mention his IQ. He also has a monster wrister and slapper. His skating is his only weakness atm perhaps.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It's impossible to know what happened to him, he could have hit a wall mentally, he could have hit a wall physically, he never had to do that much travel while playing so many games against the best players in the world.

From the start of the season to March his lowest TOI was 11:51, in the final 10 games he played, 4 of them were below that. He had 27 pts in the first 55 games for a .49 ppg, in the final 24 he had 7 pts for a .29 ppg but only 13 of those 24 games were against playoff bound teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the coach played him wrongly maybe somehow? I mean i watched some games at the end of the season and was abit frustrated. He clearly was played with the wrong players too imo. I dunno man i just know Kotka is going to be a superstar. He has shown more than enough glimpses of elite passing and vision. Not to mention his IQ. He also has a monster wrister and slapper. His skating is his only weakness atm perhaps.

We all share the same hope that he turns into at least a top 2C. It will take time IMO and lets see what step forward he makes this next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's going to repeat the season he's had, but I'd be surprised if he improves significantly.

Agreed. We have to remember that we drafted him as a longer type prospect in terms of reaching his ceiling potential. We have to ease off the pressure and expectation on this kid.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He definitely had his confidence shook and struggled mightily at the end of the season. Not worried about him at all though.

Me neither. I also have no problem with him developing in Laval if need be or we're able to land Duchene and Domi proves to be better at center. Let KK learn all aspects of the center position in the A for a year playing 20 mintues a night. He'll be a force when he matures physically.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Why play him in the A? I think 3C was the perfect spot for him to play this year. It’s not like he’s a pure offensive talent who isn’t suited to the bottom 6 grind. He plays such a mature game that he can be trusted defensively while learning what it takes to score against the best players in the world. His game is already evolved beyond the AHL level. I see so much young Kopitar in this kid, it’s just a matter of time, work and experience.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's going to repeat the season he's had, but I'd be surprised if he improves significantly.

Strange take to be honest, why exactly he will not improve significantly next season?

I mean you could be right but I just don't get the logic behind the opinion.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Strange take to be honest, why exactly he will not improve significantly next season?

I mean you could be right but I just don't get the logic behind the opinion.
It’s a horrible opinion with no logic behind it. How could he not improve significantly? He’s 1 year older, he knows what to expect from the NHL and he’s fully rested. As opposed to last season when he was the youngest player in the world and one of or the player in the world who had played the most hockey... Ridiculous.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
He exceeded expectations for everyone and then didn't play as good the last quarter of the season because of an injury and people still are worried? Some even are blatantly hating on this kid here i don't understand.. He showed everyone glimpses that he can play. He got 11? Goals and they were all different and beauties. It also caught my eye how smart his passes were. He is going to be a future superstar and i'm sure of it.
He also clanged quite a few off the metal.

Reactions: Guilliam

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
It’s a horrible opinion with no logic behind it. How could he not improve significantly? He’s 1 year older, he knows what to expect from the NHL and he’s fully rested. As opposed to last season when he was the youngest player in the world and one of or the player in the world who had played the most hockey... Ridiculous.

I feel like he is going to be able to use his skill way more consistently and break out next season. Depending on his linemates also ofc but either way i have a feeling he will be much much better already knowing how well kotkaniemi adapts. Also guys remember that the guy is 18yo you can't simply expect his first season to be like Matthews or Pettersson..

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Why play him in the A? I think 3C was the perfect spot for him to play this year. It’s not like he’s a pure offensive talent who isn’t suited to the bottom 6 grind. He plays such a mature game that he can be trusted defensively while learning what it takes to score against the best players in the world. His game is already evolved beyond the AHL level. I see so much young Kopitar in this kid, it’s just a matter of time, work and experience.

Exactly dude. It's a timequestion when he breaks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->