Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Kotkaniemi is a nice player but not an outstanding first line center. Suzuki or Peehling may supersede him. Anyway, the Habs have sufficient depth at that position.
This is based off of what?

Suzuki is probably going to wing.

Poehling will likely be a 3C, I’d be ecstatic if he turns into more.

Kotkaniemi possesses insane hockey IQ and stick work, and for someone who needs to gain mass, he protected the puck well enough at 18 and was super smart and slick with it. He was great at stick checking. He shows good vision and a strong two-way game. No one even thought he was going to be in the NHL last season. When he adds mass to his frame he’s going to be a beast. It’s not hard to see why he got Barkov comparisons (not saying he WILL turn into a Barkov, but they’re definitely similar stylistically).

Reactions: HabsMD97

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Yeah, thats a great quote from a great article
I gotta say I agree Julien doesnt come off too great in there lol..
Kotkaniemi actually told the reporters, at training camp, that Julien didn't know who KK was and asked him who he is.
Julien had been asked about this incident and while surprised, he said something as if obviously he knew who the kid was. Kotkaniemi mentioning that again makes me believe Julien tried to save his face in front of the media. lol

Reactions: Redux91

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This is based off of what?

Suzuki is probably going to wing.

Poehling will likely be a 3C, I’d be ecstatic if he turns into more.

Kotkaniemi possesses insane hockey IQ and stick work, and for someone who needs to gain mass, he protected the puck well enough at 18 and was super smart and slick with it. He was great at stick checking. He shows good vision and a strong two-way game. No one even thought he was going to be in the NHL last season. When he adds mass to his frame he’s going to be a beast. It’s not hard to see why he got Barkov comparisons (not saying he WILL turn into a Barkov, but they’re definitely similar stylistically).

Suzuki is more of a center on this team than winger,but to by his time might end up playing some RW. No offense to him,just not tenacious enough,but playing with the right line-mates could solve that issue.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Kotkaniemi actually told the reporters, at training camp, that Julien didn't know who KK was and asked him who he is.
Julien had been asked about this incident and while surprised, he said something as if obviously he knew who the kid was. Kotkaniemi mentioning that again makes me believe Julien tried to save his face in front of the media. lol
Sweet Locke avatar mate, you know your old school rpgs :thumbu:

Reactions: Fixxer

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Poehling is already a man while Kotka is still growing, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan has more success than him next season...
But who’s to say Poehling is even on the opening night roster? Kotkaniemi’s spit is pretty much locked in in the middle-6, and with a summer of training and knowing what to expect in the NHL now, I don’t see why he doesn’t progress further and become more productive.

Poehling may start in the AHL for all we know and our opening night centre line is Domi-Danault-Kotkaniemi-Thompson.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
But who’s to say Poehling is even on the opening night roster? Kotkaniemi’s spit is pretty much locked in in the middle-6, and with a summer of training and knowing what to expect in the NHL now, I don’t see why he doesn’t progress further and become more productive.

Poehling may start in the AHL for all we know and our opening night centre line is Domi-Danault-Kotkaniemi-Thompson.

Not sure if it's carved in stone that KK starts for the Habs,so many intangibles before preseason even begins. Poehling looks like another PD, with more offensive upside,so playing wing is more suitable for him more so than KK.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Yes, that is what will probably happen to be honest. but that doesn't change the fact that Poehling is much more physically developed than Kotka.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
It’s Kotkamania!

FF698BA7-393A-4CE6-8177-B7F93FFF7C93.gif

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I’d be really really really surprised if Suzuki ends up better than Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi’s got so much tools and the right attitude to get better, IMO.

so does Suzuki though. I think Suzuki might have better raw offensive tools than KK but I'd be surprised if he became the better player. It's possible imo.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
So pumped watching him this season. At times during last season watching him play the 3C was a huge breath of fresh air; finally a real 2-way talented player at the C position. After the DD 5' era, the Chucky Offensive Dangling era, The Gomez era, finally some hope. Really hope he can continue to grow, or maybe even explode. Here's to optimisim.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I think it was a tactic; trying to make KK realize he's no one special just because he was 3OV until he actually made the team and proved it. :naughty:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Poehling is already a man while Kotka is still growing, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan has more success than him next season...
It's starting to look like Poehling has more upside than we thought. Big, strong, and fast. Not great, but decent at pretty much everything. The projection has been 3C, but he's looking like more to me now. I wasn't really excited about him at first, but his development has been a pleasant surprise lately.

Reactions: angusyoung

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's starting to look like Poehling has more upside than we thought. Big, strong, and fast. Not great, but decent at pretty much everything. The projection has been 3C, but he's looking like more to me now. I wasn't really excited about him at first, but his development has been a pleasant surprise lately.
Just a solid 2 way center, if he can do what Plekanec did during his career for this franchise it's gonna be an amazing pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->