Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Reference for what 3rd Overall pick has looked like. Some superstars. Some busts. 65 point two way center would be pretty good here.

3rd Overall NHL Draft Picks
YearPlayerPos.Drafted FromDrafted By
2013Jonathan DrouinLWHalifax (QMJHL)Tampa Bay Lightning
2012Alex GalchenyukCSarnia (OHL)Montreal Canadiens
2011Jonathan HuberdeauC/LWSaint John (QMJHL)Florida Panthers
2010Erik GudbransonDKingston (OHL)Florida Panthers
2009Matt DucheneCBrampton (OHL)Colorado Avalanche
2008Zach BogosianDPeterborough (OHL)Atlanta Thrashers
2007Kyle TurrisCBurnaby (BCHL)Phoenix Coyotes
2006Jonathan ToewsCNorth Dakota (WCHA)Chicago Blackhawks
2005Jack JohnsonDU.S. Junior National Team (Intl)Carolina Hurricanes
2004Cam BarkerDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)Chicago Blackhawks
2003Nathan HortonCOshawa Generals (OHL)Florida Panthers
2002Jay BouwmeesterDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)Florida Panthers
2001Alexandr SvitovCOmsk Avangard (Russia)Tampa Bay Lightning
2000Marian GaborikLWDukla Trencin (Slovak)Minnesota Wild
1999Henrik SedinCModo Hockey Ornskoldsvik (SEL)Vancouver Canucks
1998Brad StuartDRegina Pats (WHL)San Jose Sharks
1997Olli JokinenCHIFK Helsinki (FNL)Los Angeles Kings
1996J.P. DumontRWVal-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)New York Islanders
1995Aki-Petteri BergDTPS Jrs. (Finland)Los Angeles Kings
1994Radek BonkCLas Vegas Thunder (IHL)Ottawa Senators
1993Chris GrattonCKingston Frontenacs (OHL)Tampa Bay Lightning
1992Mike RathjeDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)San Jose Sharks
1991Scott NiedermayerDKamloops Blazers (WHL)New Jersey Devils
1990Keith PrimeauCNiagara-Falls Thunder (OHL)Detroit Red Wings
1989Scott ThorntonCBelleville Bulls (OHL)Toronto Maple Leafs
1988Curtis LeschyshynDSaskatoon Blades (WHL)Quebuc Nordiques
1987Glen WesleyDPortland Winter Hawks (WHL)Boston Bruins
1986Neil BradyCMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)New Jersey Devils
1985Craig WolaninDKitchener Rangers (OHL)New Jersey Devils
1984Ed OlczykCU.S. National Team (Intl)Chicago Blackhawks
1983Pat LaFontaineCVerdun Juniors (QMJHL)New York Islanders
1981Bobby CarpenterCSt. John's Prep [Mass H.S.]Washington Capitals
1980Denis SavardFMontreal Juniors (QMJHL)Chicago Blackhawks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
3rd overall is a tricky spot to pick unless it's a truly stacked top 3.

In a lot of drafts 3rd belongs to prospects who seem to bust a lot.
Not sure why but maybe it has to do with the team reaching on a kid who is flawed but if hits gets you a top two calibre? 5-10 seems to be far safer than the lottery a lot of the years.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Yes he was, and he was a player right from the moment he put on a hawks uni at the age of 19 and never looked back.
24,34,25 goals his first three seasons. The guy was a stud right up until he left for medical reasons.

Bring up Toews doesnt help with your stance on KK, it actually shows just how bad this pick was/is.

Toews, OMG
Ouff. I remember toews. He was playing at a young age to chicago. He was litteraly a mini patrice bergeron. I remember, espacially in playoff. He was a stud. He was playing against strong line. He turns that moribond team into a good one. There is no comparison to do with KK, hell no

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
His skating technique is awful though and needs a lot of work. He needs more agility. Will he be a number 1 C? I don't believe it. Still on par to be a good No2.
I see you're an optimist. He doesn't have the offensive skill and hasn't shown it either so he's not on par for a #2. KK is another in a long long line of TT first-round specials. If there's a prospect with a toolbox of flawed tools be assured TT will pick him in the first round. 2007 being the exception.

KK has two major physical flaws. His balance and his reflexes. His balance is shit because this kid never brought his skating to an NHL level and his reflexes are those of a 70-year-old man. It takes him forever to execute a pass or a shot. His horrid balance may be a cause of his slow reflexes. I'm not sure.

Unless he corrects these two flaws - and time is quickly running out - he'll become an elite AHLer or European player.

Reactions: austin316

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
People like big centres and think they have all the potential in the world, but I agree with you. With the great players you see their talent even when they're not producing. Whether it's their agility, shot, release, IQ or offensive dangles they demonstrate their talent. When they do that, you can argue that points will come.

KK doesn't show that.
Bingo!!!!!

I understand the complaint if KK is executing marvelous passes and his linemates are klutzes fanning or missing the net. Then you can complain about KK saddled with dolts. But he doesn't do that. Even on the PP can anyone tell me when was the last time he pulled a decent play off that a sub-par linemate fluffed on.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
KK has improved many facets of his game this year. I really liked his progress although more offensive production would have been nice.

But the last couple of weeks... Ayoye... Shades of last year's terrible struggles.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I see you're an optimist. He doesn't have the offensive skill and hasn't shown it either so he's not on par for a #2. KK is another in a long long line of TT first-round specials. If there's a prospect with a toolbox of flawed tools be assured TT will pick him in the first round. 2007 being the exception.

KK has two major physical flaws. His balance and his reflexes. His balance is shit because this kid never brought his skating to an NHL level and his reflexes are those of a 70-year-old man. It takes him forever to execute a pass or a shot. His horrid balance may be a cause of his slow reflexes. I'm not sure.

Unless he corrects these two flaws - and time is quickly running out - he'll become an elite AHLer or European player.

When I see glimpses, it could mean 2 things. Either the guy will only ever show glimpses or....he'll become more consistent with the experience and opportunities (see better linemates) and will make those glimpses his way to play hockey. TODAY, I vote the latter.

Reactions: Habs178

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So 6 pts in 24 games and 28 in last 84 means nothing?? Good to know

Is it what I said? Reading skills sometimes.....Yeah, concerning. But a definitive and REAL assessment to a player? Never. If that continues, sure. But at 20 years old? Playing for a crap team? Playing with crap linemates? Playing with different players EVERY SINGLE GAME? And we want to solely look at numbers? Really?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who are NS linemates vs JK linemates? Habs coaching fix Danault line, Suzuki line and THEN give the rest to JK.

None of this matters until both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi reach prime years and can show ability to be puck possession centers. We are ignoring the bigger issue and debating who should get more optertunity when it's been tried and the results are the same.

Come on guys. This is getting old.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Was Jonathan Toews worth a 3rd overall pick? He mostly put up seasons around 65 points. Strong two way player...

Third overall picks are far from guarantees btw. You'll usually get a really good player but superstars are not the norm.

That list of yours is irrelevant. You are not though, trust me, I like you....lol. But the list is 'cause we are talking about 2 and 3 different types of leagues. Where at one point, you just needed to be big to be drafted. Tough guys were a must early. Then game changed. Are superstars the norm in the top 3? Define norm. I say it's pretty frequent. You could almost say top 5.

Toews was a fine 3rd overall pick 'cause he was penciled to be there almost all year long. He was not a project. Dominating the NCAA as a freshman. And yes points aren't the only thing. Leadership is too. And overall hockey player is. There is no way that JK could be compared to become what Toews already was when he was drafted. He was WAY more complete already at the time. Everybody and their mother would take Toews ahead of Kessel.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
None of this matters until both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi reach prime years and can show ability to be puck possession centers. We are ignoring the bigger issue and debating who should get more optertunity when it's been tried and the results are the same.

It's been tried? When? Give JK Anderson and Toffoli. 10 games. And tell me how bad a hockey player JK is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's been tried? When? Give JK Anderson and Toffoli. 10 games. And tell me how bad a hockey player JK is.

I've seen enough to know that both Suzuki and KK need more time and they are still learning on the job. What wingers they they play with is a side debate and overlooks the bigger challenge where they are only 20 and 21.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
EVERY draft projections had JK at least 1 or even 2 years away from the NHL.

Do you eat your f***ing banana when it's green? Or do you wait till it's yellow so it tasted better? If the banana is green and you eat it and you hate it, does it mean that if you would have waited for it to be yellow, it would still have been bad?

JK is a banana. HE WAS NOT READY! AND WHAT HE IS NOW IS NOT WHAT HE COULD BE LATER!!!!!!

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Ouff. I remember toews. He was playing at a young age to chicago. He was litteraly a mini patrice bergeron. I remember, espacially in playoff. He was a stud. He was playing against strong line. He turns that moribond team into a good one. There is no comparison to do with KK, hell no

Yep, not even the most blind optimist could make the comparison with a straight face.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Ah, the linemates excuse. He’s had better linemates and PP time, he’s just not very good.

Yeah...excuses.....see I tried to win a F1 race with my Nissan Leaf. And I couldn't. Finished dead last. 2 hours after everybody. But hey....excuses right? I guess i should have won.....

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yeah...excuses.....see I tried to win a F1 race with my Nissan Leaf. And I couldn't. Finished dead last. 2 hours after everybody. But hey....excuses right? I guess i should have won.....
28 pts in 84 games and 6 in the last 24 The line mate excuse is getting old.
Maybe he should learn how to stay on his feet first
It was blown draft. It’s simple to see. Tkachuk and Hughes are so much better that it’s frightening

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The standard for success shouldn't be if he was the best player available. Obviously that will be debated/discussed regardless. But him being what I think he'll be... that's well worthy of the pick.

Well in retrospect it shouldn't, you are right. Really tough and impossible frankly as a scout to finish a draft with the best at No1 and in order till the 7th round. BUT the standard of DRAFTING should be with thet idea to get the best player available. And it's clear that he was more a need than a BPA. And he became a need because of our inability to have C's since 2003. Our last great C was Plekanec. Thing of that 1 second.

So if they thought Tkachuk could become the BPA but we HAVE to go with JK because of needs, they made a huge mistake. I guess Timmins will NEVER say that cause the only revisionnist history that he goes with are the ones that makes him look good....unless....if he's fired at one point, he goes on with the story that while HE wanted Tkachuk, Bergevin TOLD him to get JK. That I can see......true or not.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Yes, more excuses.

He has been bad this year despite better linemates and PP time.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
28 pts in 84 games and 6 in the last 24 The line mate excuse is getting old.
Maybe he should learn how to stay on his feet first
It was blown draft. It’s simple to see. Tkachuk and Hughes are so much better that it’s frightening

That's it. 20 years. He's done? No matter the work he does during the summer to improve his skating and balance? Doesn't matter if he comes back with better linemates on a longer period of time ?

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
That's it. 20 years. He's done? No matter the work he does during the summer to improve his skating and balance? Doesn't matter if he comes back with better linemates on a longer period of time ?
So he didn’t work on his skating last summer? Nevetr said he’s done. Not once. I said he’s Lars Eller at the max. Not a bad thing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He never got a consistent line. Why not let the kid create some chemistry with offensive wingers? The best lines in hockey all have that chemistry, they know where they are. For that to happen you need a bit of idle time.

EVERY draft projections had JK at least 1 or even 2 years away from the NHL.

Do you eat your f***ing banana when it's green? Or do you wait till it's yellow so it tasted better? If the banana is green and you eat it and you hate it, does it mean that if you would have waited for it to be yellow, it would still have been bad?

JK is a banana. HE WAS NOT READY! AND WHAT HE IS NOW IS NOT WHAT HE COULD BE LATER!!!!!!

Lol, thats a great metaphor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He never got a consistent line. Why not let the kid create some chemistry with offensive wingers? The best lines in hockey all have that chemistry, they know where they are. For that to happen you need a bit of idle time..

I believe in KK just as much as you do. Right now, he's only 20 and he's not a star center. Growing pains.

Debating about what wingers he gets for wingers is valid and I've done that too but I think there is a bigger challenge. He's only 20 and he's not a puck possession center yet.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
WS, your example actually works against your argument. Your example is telling us that your Nissan Leaf is KK. If you want to make the argument that KK needs better linemates then it's not the car but the crew. But then even an elite crew couldn't help you win a F1 in a Nissan Leaf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Et le But and Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad