Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
He's great and will be a Kopitar like player. At his age he's already dominant. I'm a lot more worried about Suzuki right now, even tho I think both will turn out great.

Reactions: Habs178

euro

Feb 13, 2013
KK is a good player ,good hands good shot and good size But no offensive IQ. We have to stop blaming the scout, the coach or his linemate . back in the days at 17 he was looking like a potential big 2 way top 2 center in the making.

But let’s be real now, you guys are watching hockey ...you know it when you see a kid with high offensive potential... KK does not have that ! He will be a center like Lars Eller at best.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It would be nice if the whole team wasn't playing like crap. :laugh:

I mean, it's really hard to know what his potential is when the team is playing so bad.

I remain confident that he'll be a strong two way 65-70 point guy in his prime. I hope we give him all the PP minutes he can handle and the best wingers we can offer.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Right. Saying he looked like a headless chicken on the ice. That's the issue here. I guess you're right, carry on.
The issue here is KK is not the player he was expected to be. You claim it’s mismanagement, I claim he just doesn’t have the goods, never did. But if you want to just trash Poehling for some reason in this thread, well you do you. But that’s not the topic.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
KK is a good player ,good hands good shot and good size But no offensive IQ. We have to stop blaming the scout, the coach or his linemate . back in the days at 17 he was looking like a potential big 2 way top 2 center in the making.

But let’s be real now, you guys are watching hockey ...you know it when you see a kid with high offensive potential... KK does not have that ! He will be a center like Lars Eller at best.
Pretty accurate. Something « elite ». You just cant teach it. I remember back in the days. Barkov had a big frame already. He was protecting the puck at 18 yo like a big baby with a big ass. You just can’t teach that. He was playing on a bad team, he didnt show really good stats but eye test showed something else. Same for scheiffle. He was lanky. Tall. Pretty fast and a good playmaker. He wasnt the best player but he has some elite attribute than KK doesnt have. KK has nice pass. Thats it. How many board battle he lost along the board. Its not because he will be older that he will win it

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The issue here is KK is not the player he was expected to be. You claim it’s mismanagement, I claim he just doesn’t have the goods, never did. But if you want to just trash Poehling for some reason in this thread, well you do you. But that’s not the topic.

What player was he supposed to be right now ? He was always a project. I'm not trashing Poehling, unlike some posters I cheer for all of this teams prospects to make it. I mentioned time and time again last year they were rushing him and that he still needed a number of things to work before he even sniffed the NHL. He looked awful in the AHL because the team managed him terribly last year. What I'm doing is putting things in perspective. Poehling needed the time in Laval this year. Players in general need to be managed properly, especially in this market. KK had at the very least some talent if he played well in Liiga, dominated the U18s, got 30+ points as an underdeveloped 18 yo and went ppg in the AHL at 19. There's something to work with here, but to start showing it at this level, he needs and has needed substantial work on the details of his game, the pace and his physical shape.

Last edited:

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Pretty accurate. Something « elite ». You just cant teach it. I remember back in the days. Barkov had a big frame already. He was protecting the puck at 18 yo like a big baby with a big ass. You just can’t teach that. He was playing on a bad team, he didnt show really good stats but eye test showed something else. Same for scheiffle. He was lanky. Tall. Pretty fast and a good playmaker. He wasnt the best player but he has some elite attribute than KK doesnt have. KK has nice pass. Thats it. How many board battle he lost along the board. Its not because he will be older that he will win it

I agree, you have to know, watch and understand the game to understand the part about elite offensive potential. Some people have it and some don’t and it cannot be teach , you have it or you don’t ... you have a lot of guys that are big, heavy shot , skate like the wind, good hands but will never be able to put up elite offensive numbers because they just dont have the offensive elite IQ. I see KK in that category

ex : lars eller, radek Faksa, scott Laughton, Ilya Mikheyev, charlie Coyle, Nick Bjugstad

he might be better then a lot of those but a similar kind of player .... please forget the Kopitar , Barkov ect ect

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I don't understand most of the comparisons with KK. Did people really expect Barkov ? Guys upside, aside from one enthusiastic poster, was always 60 points high energy/physical two way center. The debate was, from the start, wether that warranted the third pick considering picks 3-12 were essentially neck and neck in talent, with no apparent elite player past Svechnikov. Never saw him as an 80 point guy. Maybe 70 if everything went perfectly. But, he was a long term project to reach that upside. He needed work on the details of his game. No one can genuinely say he's been handled accordingly, when considering these factors.

Reactions: Habs178 and euro

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I agree, you have to know, watch and understand the game to understand the part about elite offensive potential. Some people have it and some don’t and it cannot be teach , you have it or you don’t ... you have a lot of guys that are big, heavy shot , skate like the wind, good hands but will never be able to put up elite offensive numbers because they just dont have the offensive elite IQ. I see KK in that category

ex : lars eller, radek Faksa, scott Laughton, Ilya Mikheyev, charlie Coyle, Nick Bjugstad

he might be better then a lot of those but a similar kind of player .... please forget the Kopitar , Barkov ect ect
If KK doesn’t become better than those you mentioned , the habs are doomed. Another 3rd overall flop You can’t keep over coming those

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020

People like big centres and think they have all the potential in the world, but I agree with you. With the great players you see their talent even when they're not producing. Whether it's their agility, shot, release, IQ or offensive dangles they demonstrate their talent. When they do that, you can argue that points will come.

KK doesn't show that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And some guys develop slower than others...

Way too soon to write him off the way you're doing here.

You could be right. He might not ever become the 1st line center that we all hope he will but I don't think you can say with any kind of certainty that he has no chance.

20 years old, lots of time to put more muscle on his frame. Hone his game. He's already really good at driving the play. Good passer, great shot... I've got faith in him.

Reactions: Habs178

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If KK doesn’t become better than those you mentioned , the habs are doomed. Another 3rd overall flop You can’t keep over coming those

Hate to say it, they swung and missed! It will set them back and we will get reminded of it every time that trash guy in Ott puts up his 20/30+

Reactions: angusyoung

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sure you can. You just need players to replace them. The Wings had tons of flops but Yzerman was an elite pick at 4th overall. If you land one superstar you're way ahead of the game. Look how good we were with Subban and Price. Two guys who took what should've been a mediocre club to first place finishes.

It certainly makes things harder but we've got Caufield and Suzuki on the way up. Romanov looks like he'll be really good too. Cupboard isn't bare.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
People like big centres and think they have all the potential in the world, but I agree with you. With the great players you see their talent even when they're not producing. Whether it's their agility, shot, release, IQ or offensive dangles they demonstrate their talent. When they do that, you can argue that points will come.

KK doesn't show that.

Show it, exactly! You can see it with NS but KK, nope!

Reactions: angusyoung and euro

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Had to be Hughes. I was okay with JK because I get it, but Hughes was such an obviously electric player.
Hughes and Tkachuk both look like they're going to be great players regardless. Shouldn't affect how we view KK though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad