Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
When excuses are being made that’s when you know the panic is setting in.

exactly. 'we didn't draft him to be a #2 Center anyways, he's awesome on the backcheck. '

A third overall pick and we are trying to find joy in anything that makes it sting a wasting such a high draft position. He should be close to Suzuki in points the way he played in the playoffs last year, but he has regressed.

'He's still young!'. - Oh just stuff it, enough excuses. Start putting up points or piss off to Laval next year.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ahem... sport psychologist here... I can tell you that small things on a mental level can often create a big leap for a player. It's often not gradual and linear.

Take Gally for exemple. At first, his mindset was "crash the net" and "shoot when you have a chance". Before his first 30-goal season, he changed his mindset to "go to the net to score" and "shoot to score ". I can tell you that just that little mental shift made a huge difference for him. This was even documented back then.
Yes, I agree.

Can you comment on Kotkaniemis handling for us?

Reactions: morhilane

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
exactly. 'we didn't draft him to be a #2 Center anyways, he's awesome on the backcheck. '

A third overall pick and we are trying to find joy in anything that makes it sting a wasting such a high draft position. He should be close to Suzuki in points the way he played in the playoffs last year, but he has regressed.

'He's still young!'. - Oh just stuff it, enough excuses. Start putting up points or piss off to Laval next year.
Literally all the players picked after him are role players

Reactions: Et le But

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

and yet...
Suzuki P/60 = 1.69
JKO = 1.53

not all that far off, and that's ignoring the linemate context (in which Suzuki has had significantly better linemate consistency and quality).

and last year, Suzuki was at 1.44, less productive than JKO at the same age... oh, and JKO's "regression"? not so much, a year ago he was at .91p/60.

Will be interesting to see what JKO's at next year. Will he make further improvement and match Suzuki's level this year? I'd say it's quite likely, even moreso if he's given a regular top-6 role like Suzuki got this year.

some of you really need to check your emotional outbursts against some very simple and available data, would help avoid these completely baseless takes.

Reactions: Habs178

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
and yet...
Suzuki P/60 = 1.69
JKO = 1.53

not all that far off, and that's ignoring the linemate context (in which Suzuki has had significantly better linemate consistency and quality).

and last year, Suzuki was at 1.44, less productive than JKO at the same age... oh, and JKO's "regression"? not so much, a year ago he was at .91p/60.

Will be interesting to see what JKO's at next year. Will he make further improvement and match Suzuki's level this year? I'd say it's quite likely, even moreso if he's given a regular top-6 role like Suzuki got this year.

some of you really need to check your emotional outbursts against some very simple and available data, would help avoid these completely baseless takes.

I’m sure you’ll check to confirm but I would wager that NZ has considerably harder minutes and matchups than KK. Would
Be interested in that as well, considering you’re using p/60 where the kind of minutes you get matter

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Literally all the players picked after him are role players

Hughes & Tkachuk, role players, haha. Your boy sucks so bad you've resorted to non-sense.

Role players who are leaps and bounds ahead of Bambi. I guess that would mean KK is AHL fodder.

Reactions: Hannibal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He is young. You have to be patient with young players.

Management decided to use the 3rd overall to address a need, an egregiously glaring need, and not go after the best player available. Hopefully KK becomes the best C he can be. Bobby Smoth was a big part of our '86 cup win, even though he wasn't a superstar.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He is young. You have to be patient with young players.

Management decided to use the 3rd overall to address a need, an egregiously glaring need, and not go after the best player available. Hopefully KK becomes the best C he can be. Bobby Smoth was a big part of our '86 cup win, even though he wasn't a superstar.
And 89 Cup finals

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
and yet...
Suzuki P/60 = 1.69
JKO = 1.53

Suzuki has always had 2x the offensive vision and potential over Kotkaniemi, at every level.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Suzuki has always had 2x the offensive vision and potential over Kotkaniemi, at every level.
What do you mean? The only level they have in common is the NHL. How can you make a blanket statement like that?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hughes & Tkachuk, role players, haha. Your boy sucks so bad you've resorted to non-sense.

Role players who are leaps and bounds ahead of Bambi. I guess that would mean KK is AHL fodder.

You know, sometimes you wonder how our “fans” can be worse than other fans. I get people not liking Kotkaniemi, but these posts are getting really personal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m sure you’ll check to confirm but I would wager that NZ has considerably harder minutes and matchups than KK. Would
Be interested in that as well, considering you’re using p/60 where the kind of minutes you get matter

yes, it would be interesting... though i doubt it does anything to change the reality that the difference in offensive productivity at the same age is not very pronounced.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
and yet...
Suzuki P/60 = 1.69
JKO = 1.53

As someone who's a casual Habs fan I see a lot of excuses for this kid.
If I compare him to our top 2 centres on my team my take without emotion is, Petey our #1 centre who had similar question marks pre-draft but has obviously shown he is a legit franchise centre. Horvat had a slower path and had issues skating but he managed to improve every single season. KK has regressed and and that is not what you want from a 3rd overall pick.
I'm not even saying he needs to dominate but by now he should at least have stretches where he puts up actual points in the manner a 1 or 2 centre would.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
yes, it would be interesting... though i doubt it does anything to change the reality that the difference in offensive productivity at the same age is not very pronounced.

that’s not true, if you’re using p/60, linemates, zone opportunity and opponent Strength in minutes mean everything.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
that’s not true, if you’re using p/60, linemates, zone opportunity and opponent Strength in minutes mean everything.

Yes, what I meant is that if we look at those factors (one of which we know favors Suzuki -linemates-) the claim that JKO relative productivity is far worse than Suzuki will remain unsubstantiated. Even less so if we compare them at same age (ie Suzuki last year to JKO this year).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If I compare him to our top 2 centres on my team my take without emotion is, Petey our #1 centre who had similar question marks pre-draft but has obviously shown he is a legit franchise centre. Horvat had a slower path and had issues skating but he managed to improve every single season. KK has regressed and and that is not what you want from a 3rd overall pick.
I'm not even saying he needs to dominate but by now he should at least have stretches where he puts up actual points in the manner a 1 or 2 centre would.

The "regressed" narrative doesn't hold up to any legitimate scrutiny. The only "regression" is this year's ppg vs his rookie season, by .03 currently, which would be an absurd single data point to base that kind of claim on.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Yes, I agree.

Can you comment on Kotkaniemis handling for us?

I don't think it's been perfect, but I definately don't think he's being ruined. He's progressing nicely, beyond the points. It's easy to look at points and be negative about his progression on his 3rd season. But I think his game has matured and his mental approach has been getting better. Could he have been better off in Liiga and AHL over the last 2 years? Tough to say. With a young player, you want to see progression, and I do see that this year. He needs to find the right mental approach to get results now.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010

KK has not regressed from last season, he's improved. He wasn't playing like an NHL-calibre player last year (until the playoffs). You need to watch more before making claims like that

Reactions: Habs178
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad