Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I don't think KK is ruined at all. He will continue to work and improve areas of his game. Regardless of a few games at wing, he can and is getting minutes, learning the pro game but yes he needs to find a way to produce offensively and I think he will as he gets stronger. His game seems suited to playing a "heavy" style and he isn't there yet physically. He seems smart, can pass well, needs to work on quicker release and get stronger. If he puts in the work he will be fine

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I agree, that he literally still looks like he has a child body in terms of lankiness/muscle development. Can’t wait until I finally look at this kid and think, “yeah he’s a man”, because he will be so much more effective in his style of game.

Reactions: angusyoung

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Hertl first season 25 pts in 37 games at 19 yo. Basically 55 pts on 82 games. Don’t know why you want to comparing him with KK. Hertl came in the league and he was already showing he was going to be an elite player . 7 years ago, 4 goals in one game, he beat martin biron with a shot between his legs. His offensive flair is way better than KK. You should compare those guy, because KK is a 3rd oa pick, but they are no where close

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hertl first season 25 pts in 37 games at 19 yo. Basically 55 pts on 82 games. Don’t know why you want to comparing him with KK. Hertl came in the league and he was already showing he was going to be an elite player . 7 years ago, 4 goals in one game, he beat martin biron with a shot between his legs. His offensive flair is way better than KK. You should compare those guy, because KK is a 3rd oa pick, but they are no where close

Just so you know Hertl spent 80% of his even strength ice-time that year as a winger with Joe Thornton, he played 15:30.

He also followed it up as a 21 years old with less points than Kotkaniemi had at 18, he played 14:30 and never touched the ice without one of the Sharks elite top 6er.

Sometimes you have to dig a lil' deeper my guy.

Reactions: BLONG7

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
No doubt KK is struggling right now. The team is trying to win and his fans want him playing center with our best wingers. It doesnt work that way. He has to earn that right.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Just so you know Hertl spent 80% of his even strength ice-time that year as a winger with Joe Thornton, he played 15:30.

He also followed it up as a 21 years old with less points than Kotkaniemi had at 18, he played 14:30 and never touched the ice without one of the Sharks elite top 6er.

Sometimes you have to dig a lil' deeper my guy.
These argument about linemates needs to stop. Do you expect a conplimentary guy in KK or a stud? Its not because you aren’t playing with a stud, than you shouldnt be able to produce. Certainly its helps, but at the end. You need to put that puck in the net.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
These argument about linemates needs to stop. Do you expect a conplimentary guy in KK or a stud? Its not because you aren’t playing with a stud, than you shouldnt be able to produce. Certainly its helps, but at the end. You need to put that puck in the net.

Sigh.

Kotlaniemi COULD BE a stud, he is not a stud at 20 years old, just like Suzuki and Caufield are not.

You need good players to help good prospects be good players.

But if you are so sure of your argument, do you have any examples of players in the same situation as KK producing much more than him? Bad, rotating linemates, low TOI, low PP TOI.

Reactions: Habs178

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
No doubt KK is struggling right now. The team is trying to win and his fans want him playing center with our best wingers. It doesnt work that way. He has to earn that right.

I get your point but normally for your top prospects, you play the prospect/young player with top-6 players to develop and build confidence rather than having the same player with bottom-6 players and trying to build them up. This is especially the case since the team knew KK was a project and not some high-end offensive franchise potential player. If that was the wrong pick, well, that is on them. The comparisons to Stutzle for example are laughable because they aren't the same player at all. Not to say KK won't be a good, or even a great center for us, but if he tops out as a 60pt guy that can cycle the puck and dominate possession, that's ok for me.

Sure, I get the paying their dues for the first couple years but eventually the team is going to have to decide what to do since they are the ones who drafted him.

Reactions: ArsHabs and Gravity

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The kid is 20,what's the crime if he was playing in the AHL or elsewhere until he improves? He was needed when he first got a shot,but not right now.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Lie, lie, lie and lie. Classic Mrb1p.

KK is 9th among all Habs players in PP TOI/GP which is actually the stat that matters. Only Gallagher (?), Anderson (not constantly used on the PP), Staal (new guy) and Caufield (another new guy) are after him. After that, it's players who don't play the powerplay...

So of the Habs players who played the powerplay constantly this season, KK got the less time on ice along Gallagher (there TOI is very similar).

Reactions: montreal

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
KK is 9th among all Habs players in PP TOI/GP which is actually the stat that matters.
Keep telling yourself that. He's 4th among forwards which actually matters. 100min, zero goals and by some miracle still having constant role on PP. But of course, he's not getting enough opportunities. They should stop giving him freebies already. He's never going to develop if everything is gifted.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I'm a believer in KK, but he's been struggling in the last month or so. I don't think he's played well on the wing on the few games he's been there.

That being said, Habs fans have to be patient with this kid. He was always a long-term project, and he's around the same age as Caufield. In other words, he's really young despite this being his 3rd season. If he's developped properly, I believe he'll be a good one at 22-23 years old. That's in two years... gives you perspective on how young he still is.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
KK is 9th among all Habs players in PP TOI/GP which is actually the stat that matters. Only Gallagher (?), Anderson (not constantly used on the PP), Staal (new guy) and Caufield (another new guy) are after him. After that, it's players who don't play the powerplay...

So of the Habs players who played the powerplay constantly this season, KK got the less time on ice along Gallagher (there TOI is very similar).
In PPTOI/G, he's still just outside the top 3 among forwards.

You have Suzuki, Toffoli and Drouin, top 3, then ... (Perry, KK, Tatar, Gally) all within :08 of each other per game.

Was your point that he deserves more PP time? I hope not. Almost 100 minutes, no goals, 1 primary assist.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm a believer in KK, but he's been struggling in the last month or so. I don't think he's played well on the wing on the few games he's been there.

That being said, Habs fans have to be patient with this kid. He was always a long-term project, and he's around the same age as Caufield. In other words, he's really young despite this being his 3rd season. If he's developped properly, I believe he'll be a good one at 22-23 years old. That's in two years... gives you perspective on how young he still is.
I thought he played well on the wing the 1st time around, before the TDL. Not so well lately.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Gallagher and Tatar return. It looks like Evans has won the trust of Dom - having CC on his wing, overtime TOI, etc. I don't think Evans will sit, so they'll have a logjam in the middle.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
IMO Kotkaniemi has not earned more time on the PP. I do however think that he should be tried on the PK. It would probably be good for him, a good experience.

They can give Suzuki's PK time to Kotkaniemi, and this give Suzuki more time at ES and on the PP.

Circling back to the PP, the second unit is not going to work for the Habs given the defensemen available.

Reactions: Gravity

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
IMO Kotkaniemi has not earned more time on the PP. I do however think that he should be tried on the PK. It would probably be good for him, a good experience.

They can give Suzuki's PK time to Kotkaniemi, and this give Suzuki more time at ES and on the PP.

Circling back to the PP, the second unit is not going to work for the Habs given the defensemen available.
Dom's taken away most of NS's PK time.
Now he'll make an occasional appearance with :20 left, but that's about it. He killed the 5 on 3 the other night because PD was in the box.

Reactions: DAChampion

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Sigh.

Kotlaniemi COULD BE a stud, he is not a stud at 20 years old, just like Suzuki and Caufield are not.

You need good players to help good prospects be good players.

But if you are so sure of your argument, do you have any examples of players in the same situation as KK producing much more than him? Bad, rotating linemates, low TOI, low PP TOI.
It wont be long. Suzuki. Suzuki is on way to make 55 points on a 82 games calendar at 21 years old. Last year, he made 41. Clearly there is a real progression. Why? Just look his ohl stats lol. The worst scout would select him. He is not playing with linemate stud, and I expect 65 pts next year wich could become our first centerman. Sure suzuki could make 90 pts beside a stud like thornton back in the days. Numbers (stats) inflate playing with those stud.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He had a lot of turnovers on the wall and down low recently on the pp.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The kid is 20,what's the crime if he was playing in the AHL or elsewhere until he improves? He was needed when he first got a shot,but not right now.
He could. Growing his confidence. But he already show he was too much stronger for this league. He needs to just improve himself. (Speed/quickness/agility). Thats the point, and I hope time/training will help him. Poehling improve his stats in the AHL, he will probably have a fair chance to play in the league but I doubt he gonna be better than a thirs line centerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad