Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I thought he had a good game. used on the PP and 4 on 4 which was nice to see. Really like that line, its not like playing him with Drouin and Armia is a punishment either. Give them time.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
how about Vancouver with Boeser, Petterson, and now Quinn ?? garbage last place team too ??
Well Boeser's rookie season Canucks were fighting for last place in the conference. Petterson is almost 2 years older than Kotkaniemi and definitely was a more mature player and ready for nhl. Quinn is playing his rookie season as a 20 year old, KK was 18 and the youngest player in the nhl. If habs weren't so desperate for a center there is no doubt he would not have played in the nhl last year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well Boeser's rookie season Canucks were fighting for last place in the conference. Petterson is almost 2 years older than Kotkaniemi and definitely was a more mature player and ready for nhl. Quinn is playing his rookie season as a 20 year old, KK was 18 and the youngest player in the nhl. If habs weren't so desperate for a center there is no doubt he would not have played in the nhl last year.
always a good reason not to use the kids with the Habs. Gotcha!

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
always a good reason not to use the kids with the Habs. Gotcha!
I guess it depends who and in what situation they come into. Subban's rookie season was as a 21 year old and was instantly ready for big minutes. I'm pretty sure he was playing over 20 min with habs in his rookie season. To me every player is different, there isn't just one recipe.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I guess it depends who and in what situation they come into. Subban's rookie season was as a 21 year old and was instantly ready for big minutes. I'm pretty sure he was playing over 20 min with habs in his rookie season. To me every player is different, there isn't just one recipe.
Habs roster is filled with Habs draftees, clearly their "patience" is working jst fine.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The more I watch him a few things come to mind-
Drafting for need is a bad strategy

Habs are mismanaging him

I would strongly consider sending him to the AHL for more development

Reactions: Habs Icing

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Habs are mismanaging him

Drafting for need is a terrible strategy, unless that player is BPA which I still think he was. I make it no secret that Kotkaniemi wasn’t my first choice either, that was Boqvist, but I still have faith 2-3 years from now, Kotkaniemi is going to be dynamite. Whether that’s on the Habs or not, we’ll see :sarcasm:

I do agree though, some time with the Rocket may not be a bad idea.

Reactions: Tyson

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Habs are mismanaging him

Need / futur need should be the last factor considered... I was hoping that was the case with KK, I assumed they would not pass on Zadina,tkachuk and Quinn if they didn’t think KK would be the best player. But than they play him in the NHL when he was not a factor and I’m guessing it had more to do with PR than actually what was best for is development.

Reactions: DXStriker and Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi will be again a 30 pts ish guy this year but watch out next year.

All depends on when he fills into that big frame with me. I'm looking more when he is 21 or 22. Barkov busted out from 50-60 range (age 20/21) to 78 when he was 22. And then 96 last year when he was 23.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Bambi on ice.

he will never have the skating or balance of a first line center. I have doubts on him.

And don’t come to me with him having to play with better wingers. He’s playing with the best wingers since the beginning. Miles better than Domi’s.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Bambi on ice.

he will never have the skating or balance of a first line center. I have doubts on him.

And don’t come to me with him having to play with better wingers. He’s playing with the best wingers since the beginning. Miles better than Domi’s.

Well, things worked out for Tavares who was a poor skater to start his career.

Not a center but a first liner also who overcame questionable skating was Mark Stone.

Point doesn't play first line, but would probably be a 1C for a lot of teams and he had poor skating to start his career as well.

Whether Kotkaniemi can improve to an arbitrary 1C level of skating we'll have to see, but I saw huge improvements from his D-1 to draft year.

You can teach skating. Just depends on how dedicated ALL parties are.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bambi on ice.

You likely would have said the same thing about Scheifele, who was described the same way.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
No, he didn't. Watch the freaking game on your screen and not the one in your head.

Well, it was a tale of two games for him. He played very well the first half, then he started falling on his ass more and usually I've noticed it's a sign he's having trouble following the play at that point. It speaks to the fact he still has to grow into his body imo as he's having trouble keeping his energy and focus during a full game.

That said, his line was in the offensive zone more often than not and both his positioning and puck distribution were a factor in that. He really needs to get stronger on his skates though.

Reactions: angusyoung

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I honestly have no problems how he was used last night. He's weak on his skates right now and gets pushed over and loses the puck fairly easily, but you can see the potential that he has, as a big, patient center with excellent vision. I understand the desire to see him more, especially on the pp, but he does have a tendency to get stripped of the puck in the offensive zone.

But when games are well in hand, like last night and the game against STL, he does see PP time. Coach is developing him just fine, the pp time will come as he gains more control of his gangly body.

Those of you that would rather see him "develop" quicker at the expense of the team need to get a grip. The kids going to need time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I honestly have no problems how he was used last night. He's weak on his skates right now and gets pushed over and loses the puck fairly easily, but you can see the potential that he has, as a big, patient center with excellent vision. I understand the desire to see him more, especially on the pp, but he does have a tendency to get stripped of the puck in the offensive zone.

But when games are well in hand, like last night and the game against STL, he does see PP time. Coach is developing him just fine, the pp time will come as he gains more control of his gangly body.

Those of you that would rather see him "develop" quicker at the expense of the team need to get a grip. The kids going to need time.
every Habs draftees seems to need time.

Reactions: Mrb1p

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
About the importance of face-offs. Game in LA last night:

Face off %: Buffalo 37%, LA 63%

Shots: Buff 24 LA 47

Not even close, so who won? Sabres 3-0 Just sayin'

Ice tilt anyone? Looks like stats you’d see in a video game, but this was real life.

Anyhow, generally I’d rather be the one winning face offs and have more shots but yeah, not always a guarantee win.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
No, he didn't. Watch the freaking game on your screen and not the one in your head.

he played ok, theres no doubt he needs to be stronger on his skates, he spent alot of time on his ass, but he’s head and shoulders above most of the team when it comes to IQ. He’s consistently able to get his teammates the puck in traffic. Balance and strength will catch up to his skill level in time.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Ice tilt anyone? Looks like stats you’d see in a video game, but this was real life.

Anyhow, generally I’d rather be the one winning face offs and have more shots but yeah, not always a guarantee win.
To me, face-offs are more luck than skill. Work on getting the puck back instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad