Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Kotkaniemi is coachable. He's an excellent learner. No doubt about it. Don't talk me about the sophomore slump or the second year curse stuff. He gonna handle that. Because every time somebody has given him a chance he seized it.

Look at where he was and look where he's atm. Perfectly integrated into the team since Day 1. He talks too much and his english is getting better. A unifier. Not a divider.

The ball is in our court. We must know how to manage him. On what do with KK. If we're yelling at him it doesn't lead to something. We always have to communicate with on what he've to do and how he can be better. Then we've to let itself discover the solution by himself.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I really don't understand this...

He seems like a coachable player. He's strong defensively (incredibly so for such a young player) and he was fantatstic for us last year until he got inexplicably benched. Now he's perpetually in the doghouse.

WTF????
More curious is the fact they don’t bother explaining the reasoning behind his « development plan ».

Unlike trade scenarios, no use keeping secrets on how you plan handling your 3rd OA pick.

If nothing shows you have a plan and you don’t bother explaining it, it’s safe to assume there’s none.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I can't believe they are still sheltering this 19 year old kid who's still weak on his skates and gets rocked almost every game. I just don't understand!
If he’s not ready for top minutes and needs sheltering, send him down until he can handle it.

He won’t learn to deal with pressure or develop creativity by being in above his head. If that’s the way mgmt thinks, no use pegging him as a 3rd liner. You become what you do after long enough.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
If he’s not ready for top minutes and needs sheltering, send him down until he can handle it.

He won’t learn to deal with pressure or develop creativity by being in above his head. If that’s the way mgmt thinks, no use pegging him as a 3rd liner. You become what you do after long enough.

Agreed I want him playing top minutes in Laval and in all situations.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Agreed I want him playing top minutes in Laval and in all situations.
There would be nothing wrong with trying that. The nhl approach doesn’t seem to yield fantastic results for now, what’s there to lose?

I swear, it’s like they assume it’s some video game like shit where if you get enough XP playing 3rd line C in the nhl, you’ll eventually level up to elite 1st C at some point .

Reactions: cphabs

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I can't believe they are still sheltering this 19 year old kid who's still weak on his skates and gets rocked almost every game. I just don't understand!
Nothing wrong with sheltered minutes but give the kid some pp time over Weal. And Danault for that matter.

But at 19 Scheifele wasn’t even in the show. Let us all relax

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We can say what we want about Pacioretty...but Kotkaniemi should say to the Habs what Patch said at the start of his career...if you have to use me like that, send me down so I'd gain some offensive confidence and then come back up when I'm ready.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I thought he played poorly tonight. Turnovers, lost puck battles, didn't create offence, and didn't push the pace against an extraordinarily slow Wild team. Which, apart from a couple flashes, has been a theme this year IMO.

So weak on his skates and not making good decisions right now. I think he deserves more time, but continuing at this pace will mean he'll be playing in Laval.

Reactions: Habs Icing

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The biggest issue is he’s not making the plays that are right there for him to make. It’s one thing to not be able to create plays from nothing, but to not make the plays that are there to be made is concerning.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
What's the narrative now? He was hurt by Julien's mean words? Or we go back to "he was rushed"? Or is it the linemates? Or ice time?
Mark Scheifele wasn’t in the NHL at 19. Barkov wasn’t putting numbers up.

I am curious what people’s expectations are with him? He is a lanky y’all center,an who needs to grow into the position

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

I am curious what people’s expectations are with him? He is a lanky y’all center,an who needs to grow into the position
15min.+ per game, get some PP time, have a role on the team.

if Thompson can get 15+ per game, you know...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Barkov was playing 17 minutes a game in his first season.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Barkov was playing 17 minutes a game in his first season.
But his rookie season he was playing on garbage last place team with nothing fight for. Habs were fighting for a playoff spot all season and finished with 96 points. You can't compare both situations.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
But his rookie season he was playing on garbage last place team with nothing fight for. Habs were fighting for a playoff spot all season and finished with 96 points. You can't compare both situations.
how about Vancouver with Boeser, Petterson, and now Quinn ?? garbage last place team too ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad