Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I honestly have no problems how he was used last night. He's weak on his skates right now and gets pushed over and loses the puck fairly easily, but you can see the potential that he has, as a big, patient center with excellent vision. I understand the desire to see him more, especially on the pp, but he does have a tendency to get stripped of the puck in the offensive zone.

But when games are well in hand, like last night and the game against STL, he does see PP time. Coach is developing him just fine, the pp time will come as he gains more control of his gangly body.

Those of you that would rather see him "develop" quicker at the expense of the team need to get a grip. The kids going to need time.
Last night was much better. He gets deployed in the offensive zone and gets decent ES minutes. The issue is that he needs more PP time

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
first rounders Kakko and Hugues are playing 15+ minutes a night, even Heinola (D) plays 19 minutes a night...

Reactions: Mrb1p

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
As has been noted here countless times, he needs to improve his skating but especially his balance. It's absolutely unbelievable how many times he falls and gets up. I'd guess 20-30 times a game. It would be interesting to count. Once he gets stronger, it'll help a lot. He's got a good example in winning board battles by watching his linemate Armia.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Lorty

May 7, 2013
Is it a skating issue, or a conditioning issue?

Bad conditioning/cardio will make you weak on your skates. Muscles fatigue will make him lose his balance quite easily in the middle of a shift.

Remember, he bulked this summer, a lot. Perhaps he bulked too fast? I have no idea.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
As has been noted here countless times, he needs to improve his skating but especially his balance. It's absolutely unbelievable how many times he falls and gets up. I'd guess 20-30 times a game. It would be interesting to count. Once he gets stronger, it'll help a lot. He's got a good example in winning board battles by watching his linemate Armia.
I play a drinking game where I take a shot every time KK is on his ass. I’m usually smashed by the 2nd intermission.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. I like Kotkaniemi a lot but we won't know how good he is until he fills into that frame. Once get becomes stronger, I think his edge work and puck protection changes from a weakness to a strength.

He has to be committed to busting his ass off to improve his strength. Suzuki did this in the off season and has a way to go yet. Poehling is already there... the kid is strong!

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Is it a skating issue, or a conditioning issue?

Bad conditioning/cardio will make you weak on your skates. Muscles fatigue will make him lose his balance quite easily in the middle of a shift.

Remember, he bulked this summer, a lot. Perhaps he bulked too fast? I have no idea.
Probably a combination of both. I'd love to see him use a shorter stick too because he's far too upright. A guy that size shouldn't be so easy to seat away.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
He reminds me a lot of Scheifele few years back. Bambi. Unfortunately there's no shortcuts to gain full control over body. We will have to wait complete breakthrough at least two years.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
About the importance of face-offs. Game in LA last night:

Face off %: Buffalo 37%, LA 63%

Shots: Buff 24 LA 47

Not even close, so who won? Sabres 3-0 Just sayin'

LA is bad. It's simple to look good on paper. Use the patented "shot da puk to da net" Michel Therrien's system. Shot every time you can. From center ice. From blue line. From the stand. With a hot dog in the hands. Doesn't matter. SHOT DA PUK TO DA NET!!!!! and you'll dominate the corsi. You wont win many games though (unless you have prime Price) and that's the problem with this strategy and that's why it's not used by pretty much anybody with a brain.

ANybody got that MT video where he tells his player to shot from about anywhere on the ice. Can't find it anymore :(

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
He reminds me a lot of Scheifele few years back. Bambi. Unfortunately there's no shortcuts to gain full control over body. We will have to wait complete breakthrough at least two years.

That's basically what I see. It doesn't matter where he's playing, he won't develop until he physically matures. It's just a waiting game, there's no way to accelerate it.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
first rounders Kakko and Hugues are playing 15+ minutes a night, even Heinola (D) plays 19 minutes a night...

Playing on teams that publicly say they are rebuilding is different than trying to make the PO's. As for Heinola being a D on a team decimated by injuries and lost the core......

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Playing on teams that publicly say they are rebuilding is different than trying to make the PO's. As for Heinola being a D on a team decimated by injuries and lost the core......
didnt this GM said publicly Habs were resetting ??

is resetting 3 years or so after a transition year SOOOOOO different than rebuilding ???

and didnt this team Owner publicly said this team will be good/contending/whatever in... => 3 YEARS ???

Habs are playing Thompson 15+ minutes a night you know...

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
didnt this GM said publicly Habs were resetting ??

is resetting 3 years or so after a transition year SOOOOOO different than rebuilding ???

and didnt this team Owner publicly said this team will be good/contending/whatever in... => 3 YEARS ???

Habs are playing Thompson 15+ minutes a night you know...

Yes he said re-set,not rebuild,semantics and open to individuals interpretation.
All teams hone,tweak etc,call it what you want,every season.

Thompson has had 1 game over 15 and is averaging under 14 and a good portion of that is on the PK.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I'm telling you - he is a gangly 19 year old kid who doesn't look to have full control over his body on the ice. Yes of course he needs time. You will have to be patient. He is not being ruined.
He should be in the minors.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Seriously guys we're talking about 3-4 shifts a night here where the vet is getting the tougher assignment.. you honestly think it's hurting his development?

Reactions: angusyoung

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'm telling you - he is a gangly 19 year old kid who doesn't look to have full control over his body on the ice. Yes of course he needs time. You will have to be patient. He is not being ruined.

He's not being ruined but he's certainly not being helped either.

No sophomore should get LESS icetime than in his rookie year.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He's not being ruined but he's certainly not being helped either.

No sophomore should get LESS icetime than in his rookie year.
I agree. He shouldn't be going backwards, and last night was encouraging. The reactions on this board were very strong considering we were less than 10% into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad