Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah... It's unfortunate cause it would be nice to see him gaining more confidence but this way... he's able to be ready for camp if they start that up in December sometime. I just want hockey back! Especially if we are going to be stuck at home
I don't see how they get things in order for camp in less than a month. Never bet against Bettman but I definitely have my doubts.

Reactions: DavePeak

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see how they get things in order for camp in less than a month. Never bet against Bettman but I definitely have my doubts.

I hope they start sooner than later but I also hope they start after the WJC so we get to see some serious talent in that tournament. The longer they delay though, the more Bettman will ask for a higher Escrow. I think Bettman and the owners are pushing for a flat cap for no more than two seasons so they can have a higher cap after that and teams are not so screwed in that department. NHLPA has to open their eyes on that. 50/50 revenue... pay me now or pay them later. If they get paid now with a lower escrow... that prolongs the flat cap!

Numbers I have gathered to try to dig into this situation to understand more... This article talks about a few things and it falls in line with the numbers I have been looking at. NHL is looking for an additional $300M in savings. NHL seeking additional deferment on player salaries, raise on escrow caps

* The $81.5M cap is based on $5.09B of revenue. The actual salaries for the next year is tracking to be $2.33B (min). Multiple that by two for the 50/50 split and we are around $4.66B. That's good news cause like I said, the $81.5M cap is based on $5.09B of revenue. That's about a $400M+ cushion but when you talk about ticket revenue/month... that cushion is gone in one month if there are no fans. If 50% of revenue is tickets that's about $391M/month (5.09B x 50% / 6.5 months). Another way to look at it is per/game. $5.09B x 50% / 2542 total games = $1M/game of ticket revenue (on average). So that's how much is at play for each game if no fans are in the seats

* If the Escrow is capped at 20% for next season and dropping to 6% in years 4, 5, 6 of the new CBA.... 20% escrow is about $500M.

* A quick calculation indicates this.... $400M of fluff between actual salaries vs AAV ($81.5M cap based on $5.09B of revenue) and an extra $500M in escrow brings the savings to about $1B. Fans in the seats for a normal season represents about $2.5B of revenue. So if that happens, I see the NHLPA having to defer $1.5B to future seasons where the cap does not grow or they mess with the escrow even more.

* NHLPA has to realize that the 50/50 revenue split formula can take 2 years or 4 years to even out... depending on what they agree on Escrow for this season and next. I say go high cause if they go low... the flat cap will be a nightmare for several seasons! Any player becoming UFA will get a huge pay cut. Those who already have contracts are fine but that's selfish if they let others drown due to timing of when they become UFA.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Re: KKs skating

Would recommend doing a quick google search & take a look at 1978 #1 overall pick Bobby Smith’s skating technique (if you never saw him play)....that’s who KK is now and will always be, just sayin.

Getzlaf is prairie boy big boned & thick, KK is gangly & awkward - he’s already put some meat on those bones & will continue to but will always by gangly & awkward.....worked just fine for Bobby
Getzlaf's a lamp post at 6'3 220 and always was, lets get real. Hockey players don't have unattainable physiques by any standards, KK is 6'2, there's no way he doesn't walk around at 210+ when he gets his man parts.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Getzlaf's a lamp post at 6'3 220 and always was, lets get real. Hockey players don't have unattainable physiques by any standards, KK is 6'2, there's no way he doesn't walk around at 210+ when he gets his man parts.

My family is full of 6’2-6’3 men who are 180-190 pounds. Being tall doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be thick. Not by a long shot. I’ve known to many toothpicks who’re the same height as KK for that to fool me.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
My family is full of 6’2-6’3 men who are 180-190 pounds. Being tall doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be thick. Not by a long shot. I’ve known to many toothpicks who’re the same height as KK for that to fool me.

These guys are athletes. Way different genetics/lifestyle/routine. By doing sports all of your youth/all your life at a level NHL athletes did, you potentiate muscle fibers to actually grow thicker and stronger.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You said men, not athlete. Please don't compare random people to professional athletes.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Can't you read at your age or you're just dumb?
I have to admit I laughed out loud reading this but damn!

It's a good scenario for KK, starting slowly then getting on the scoreboard. Much better than the opposite which would have been a headscratcher, or just no production at all which would have been worrying. It would have been great to see him compete in the World Juniors though, as I'm not expecting NHL hockey or even just camps to return soon. With a lot of cities under fire from COVID, I'd be surprised to see camps open leaguewide before January. But it's true, like Kriss E said never bet against Bettman.

Reactions: EveryDay

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Always a good sign when your highest drafted prospect gets cut by a European side. Yikes.

IMO KK should stay in Finland for this season, it wouldn't hurt his development. I prefer him getting on the scoreboard regularly and finding his confidence offensively in a decent league than struggling to make a pass in the NHL.

The AHL would be the optimal option, but he'd still feel the pressure of not making/making the team.

If you want to salvage the little that's left of his offensive game, it needs to go through a lower level first.

He does have good vision, but his body just doesn't follow his brain.

Gael

Aug 21, 2020
IMO KK should stay in Finland for this season, it wouldn't hurt his development. I prefer him getting on the scoreboard regularly and finding his confidence offensively in a decent league than struggling to make a pass in the NHL.

The AHL would be the optimal option, but he'd still feel the pressure of not making/making the team.

If you want to salvage the little that's left of his offensive game, it needs to go through a lower level first.

Not sure if serious

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

His post sesason would indicate he'll be able to get on the score sheeet - especially with Josh Anderson on his wing. I would prefer Granlund on his other wing - over Armia. But Anderson or Toffoli should increase his point total.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
His post sesason would indicate he'll be able to get on the score sheeet - especially with Josh Anderson on his wing. I would prefer Granlund on his other wing - over Armia. But Anderson or Toffoli should increase his point total.
Anderson can carry a line, but all I hope to see from Kotkaniemi is him following the pace of the game and becoming an effective player. If it's true that he has a future as a top 6 C, then he needs to start connecting passes and cycling the puck in a consistent basis. None of this "Aw too bad, his stick is too long lets blame the coaches and his linemates" crap.

You people will shit on everyone who doesn't make solid bricks out of KK's diarrhea.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You said men, not athlete. Please don't compare random people to professional athletes.

Being an athletes makes no difference. He’s got long limbs and an awkward body. I compared him to my family members because they’re the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad