Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Plekanec spent his wholen1st NHL season as the 4c. He then got some time half way through his second year on the wing in the top 6 - but it took an injury for that to happen. This is not unlike KK, who got his shot in the top 6 because Domi was sidelined due to diabetes precautions. But KK got his shot at a much younger age than KK. And of course Plekanec turned out to be our leading scorer many years.

Plekanec got a lot of development time in the AHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Plekanec spent his wholen1st NHL season as the 4c. He then got some time half way through his second year on the wing in the top 6 - but it took an injury for that to happen. This is not unlike KK, who got his shot in the top 6 because Domi was sidelined due to diabetes precautions. But KK got his shot at a much younger age than KK. And of course Plekanec turned out to be among our leading scorer many years.
Plekanec was not a 3rd overall pick, Plekanec never had the skillset to be #1 C (Even if he came close on will and IQ) and Plekanec got to play 3 season in the AHL and two in Kladno before coming over. He was not rushed, he just rose up the rank in the same way Danault did. This is fine, having a 18 years old phenom on the 4th line with scrubs playing 8 minutes a game, is not.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Plekanec spent his wholen1st NHL season as the 4c. He then got some time half way through his second year on the wing in the top 6 - but it took an injury for that to happen. This is not unlike KK, who got his shot in the top 6 because Domi was sidelined due to diabetes precautions. But KK got his shot at a much younger age than KK. And of course Plekanec turned out to be among our leading scorer many years.

Prime Plekanec was a much better skater than KK will ever be. People still have in mind the 2013-2015 version of Pleky but 08-11 Pleky was a dynamic player. If KK can turn out to be as good as Pleky offensively I consider that a dub.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Plekanec was not a 3rd overall pick, Plekanec never had the skillset to be #1 C (Even if he came close on will and IQ) and Plekanec got to play 3 season in the AHL and two in Kladno before coming over. He was not rushed, he just rose up the rank in the same way Danault did. This is fine, having a 18 years old phenom on the 4th line with scrubs playing 8 minutes a game, is not.

I don't think anything in KK's development suggests they're grooming him to be a 3c.

He should of had more development in the A. But that doesn't mean they're grooming him to be a 3c.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think anything in KK's development suggests they're grooming him to be a 3c.

He should of had more development in the A. But that doesn't mean they're grooming him to be a 3c.
Aside from the fact that hes playing with third liners, in third line situations and with third line ice-time ? Nothing at all, no.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Aside from the fact that hes playing with third liners, in third line situations and with third line ice-time ? Nothing at all, no.
Playing that role as a teenager doesn't mean that's what they are grooming him for long term, fyi.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Playing that role as a teenager doesn't mean that's what they are grooming him for long term, fyi.

FYI, its not that simple. Theyre not grooming him for anything, they throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. If KK overcomes his troubles à la Subban, good, if he does not and becomes Eller, he was never good in the first place. Theres no in-between.

KKs gonna be who he is. Full stop. We aren’t “ruining” anyone. This whole “ruin” narrative needs to die.
Ah, right... Outside circumstances play absolutely no role in the development of individuals, obviously.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
FYI, its not that simple. Theyre not grooming him for anything, they throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. If KK overcomes his troubles à la Subban, good, if he does not and becomes Eller, he was never good in the first place. Theres no in-between.

Ah, right... Outside circumstances play absolutely no role in the development of individuals, obviously.

I'm more annoyed that they're prioritizing winning now over development. Mete should have had at least two years in the AHL. But because he was better than all our other LD's, he was rushed into the NHL. As for KK, it looks like he should have had AHL time. But again, he decisively outplayed washed up Plekanec and Chaput out of camp, so he won the 3c spot. Then in his 2nd year when he really struggled, it took them a long time to send him down. Like Mete, once down, he said, man I like learning down here.

It will be interesting to see who he gets as linemates this year. At worst it will be one of Drouin, Toffoli, Tatar, Gallagher, or Anderson on one side. and one of Armia, Lehkonen, or Byron on the other. I think that will be fine for him for 1 year. If there are injuries that could be a problem though.

We'll see how things start and see how Julien makes decisions from there.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm more annoyed that they're prioritizing winning now over development. Mete should have had at least two years in the AHL. But because he was better than all our other LD's, he was rushed into the NHL. As for KK, it looks like he should have had AHL time. But again, he decisively outplayed washed up Plekanec and Chaput out of camp, so he won the 3c spot. Then in his 2nd year when he really struggled, it took them a long time to send him down. Like Mete, once down, he said, man I like learning down here.

It will be interesting to see who he gets as linemates this year. At worst it will be one of Drouin, Toffoli, Tatar, Gallagher, or Anderson on one side. and one of Armia, Lehkonen, or Byron on the other. I think that will be fine for him for 1 year. If there are injuries that could be a problem though.

We'll see how things start and see how Julien makes decisions from there.

Year one was in 2019, its year three now.

It is now or never.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Year one was in 2019, its year three now.

It is now or never.

I don't think it's now or never.

Couturier and Hertl only broke out at the age of 25 - i.e. in year SEVEN!

Patience is key with young players.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It's a waste if a player breaks out five minutes before hitting free agency.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's a waste if a player breaks out five minutes before hitting free agency.

Oh yeah, you have to structure contracts so that doesn't happen. Columbus really put themselves in a tough spot with the Domi contract.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

It is though, Hertl has been on the top 6 for the majority of his career.

Couturier had been playing 2nd line since 2013, so I don't see how this works in your argument... He just didn't get first line PP because Schenn-Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds were the forwards used there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad