Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Like that he's getting points. It scratches an itch but I will absolutely double down...

He does not HAVE to produce there. It's nice. It's not bad but he doesn't HAVE to.

He could go cold again. I don't think he will. I think he had to get used to things.

But again, he's not Ylonen. He doesn't really have to prove anything over there.
It's not the same if someone like Gallagher went over there. Sure. Where who could give a flying eff what he does. But KK's closer to that than a player like Ylonen and the like who haven't proven anything over there let alone here. Very different circumstances.

He's got a LOT of time and space on these last few points and goals. Unless you truly thought KK was a borderline NHLer or has 3C upside than yeah sure I guess these points might mean something a bit more. But thinking that was silly in the first place. The points themselves aren't convincing me either way at the moment. What I'd like to see is him just make these guys look silly. THAT would be more telling. And even then wouldn't be that conclusive but it would be better than points for the sake of points.

He's going to be good. At the very least he'll be a good player. Some might want Hughes and Tkachuk still but he'll be good nonetheless. I just don't know how good and so far his Liiga play isn't telling me much. I like that he's faster and bigger. That will bode really well.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't care what anyone says, those who are saying points don't matter sure seem to be keeping a REALLY close eye on KK's stats sheet on this thread lately.

As they should. It's that much more reassuring to see him scratch the scoresheet with regularity. He had to produce there and lately he's been doing just that. Good for him and us.

The sample size increases by one game per game :)

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The sample size increases by one game per game :)

Yup. Which is why most people kept saying it was not a cause to panic, but that he had to start producing at some point. He is doing just that. In a sub-par league like this, points are a direct consequence of good decisions and good plays. Which he gets right now.

It's a good thing for us. But let's not fool ourselves. 1 or 2 points in 10 games would be pretty damn concerning.

Reactions: Hins77 and Mrb1p

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Predictably hilariously getting points after settling in on the worst team in the league lol, go figure

Keep it up kiddo, could be a big year

Why are they the worst team in the league, they weren't even the worst team last season. Would be cool if he can elevate that mediocre team to at least playoff status.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Why are they the worst team in the league, they weren't even the worst team last season. Would be cool if he can elevate that mediocre team to at least playoff status.
On the video evidence admittedly, their goaltending might have a lot to do with it. Looks like they have Keitheri Kinnikaidenen in net.

Reactions: Hoochi Papa

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
HIs lack of speed actually hurts him on the euro ice. His teamates initially couldnt put the puck in the net. When you drop down a level it doesnt always translate into more points. With his size and now more stability from age you'll see what we saw a flash of in the NHL playoffs. He's built for North American hockey. I've always said he's a Getzlaf type player when he grows into his body.Not with the points but the style for sure. The team did him a major disservice rushing him up.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
HIs lack of speed actually hurts him on the euro ice. His teamates initially couldnt put the puck in the net. When you drop down a level it doesnt always translate into more points. With his size and now more stability from age you'll see what we saw a flash of in the NHL playoffs. He's built for North American hockey. I've always said he's a Getzlaf type player when he grows into his body.Not with the points but the style for sure. The team did him a major disservice rushing him up.

Disagree. The kid looks to have drive and may benefit from the kick in the pants of having suffered some hardship in his second season after being protected in his first. Experience, early, playing on a smaller surface will have helped him better prepare himself for North American hockey and will have influenced his offseason training accordingly.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If he produces and skates like the Hunchback of Notre-Dame, I'm fine with it. Still, it's good that he seems to have taken directions from training while back home before the Play-Ins/Playoffs.

Stronger (on his skates, more importantly), more composed and more confident are the elements that will lead to KK continuing to progress.

Lately, from the clips I've seen, he's all that but, still, on a bigger surface where there is a fraction of a second more before a decision must be made.

I'm still a little impressed when KK gets checked while carrying the puck and, somehow, the puck lands on the stick of an open line mate, unexpectedly, out of nowhere. f course, it helps when the line mate is hockey savvy enough to i gain that the puck might get to him and skilled enough to handle the pass.

KK, with better line mates, will be much more productive. Not because he will need to feed off of his line mates but, rather, because they will anticipate plays better and be more prone to finishing those plays.

Expect KK to become a punishing C that helps scoring wingers produce, all while being defensively sound.

Very excited to see KK in the next few years as he settles into what will be KK for the rest of his career.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Like that he's getting points. It scratches an itch but I will absolutely double down...

He does not HAVE to produce there. It's nice. It's not bad but he doesn't HAVE to.

He could go cold again. I don't think he will. I think he had to get used to things.

But again, he's not Ylonen. He doesn't really have to prove anything over there.
It's not the same if someone like Gallagher went over there. Sure. Where who could give a flying eff what he does. But KK's closer to that than a player like Ylonen and the like who haven't proven anything over there let alone here. Very different circumstances.

He's got a LOT of time and space on these last few points and goals. Unless you truly thought KK was a borderline NHLer or has 3C upside than yeah sure I guess these points might mean something a bit more. But thinking that was silly in the first place. The points themselves aren't convincing me either way at the moment. What I'd like to see is him just make these guys look silly. THAT would be more telling. And even then wouldn't be that conclusive but it would be better than points for the sake of points.

He's going to be good. At the very least he'll be a good player. Some might want Hughes and Tkachuk still but he'll be good nonetheless. I just don't know how good and so far his Liiga play isn't telling me much. I like that he's faster and bigger. That will bode really well.

Some of the clips I’ve seen from his time in Liiga have really impressed me. The way he’s using opposing players as screens combined with his shot would be lethal. But of course, until I see him doing this against NHL level talent, I can’t really rate him yet. He’ll have much less time and space.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Here's probably my two biggest hopes for him:

1) That's he's not done developing physically yet. He's made very good strides and he's headed in the right direction but I hope he isn't there yet. He's 20 1/2 so he should still be able to still get stronger and faster.

2) I'd like to see him be more aggressive with the puck. I'd like to see him drive to the net more. If he's not doing that because he is taking it easy to an extent then I'm fine with that. I still think that's the case. He just seems to be focusing on setting up his teammates with smart passes.

The hope is he develops into an ox on skates who can bully his way to the net and draw some defenders along with him. Then leaving someone open he can find them with a pass. I don't know if he's a wildly creative playmaker but he threads the needle through some narrow laneways at a very impressive rate. In the play ins, I swore he completed almost nearly all his passes.

I think without plus plus hands he's going to have to rely on his strength and his smarts mostly if he's going to be a star. He's not wholly bereft of finesse but I think the power game is going to be a big part of his game. Saw hints of it in the play ins. This is why I think he's going at about 85%. He seems pretty content in finding open guys and not going too hard to the net.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Re: KKs skating

Would recommend doing a quick google search & take a look at 1978 #1 overall pick Bobby Smith’s skating technique (if you never saw him play)....that’s who KK is now and will always be, just sayin.

Getzlaf is prairie boy big boned & thick, KK is gangly & awkward - he’s already put some meat on those bones & will continue to but will always by gangly & awkward.....worked just fine for Bobby

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Yup. Which is why most people kept saying it was not a cause to panic, but that he had to start producing at some point. He is doing just that. In a sub-par league like this, points are a direct consequence of good decisions and good plays. Which he gets right now.

It's a good thing for us. But let's not fool ourselves. 1 or 2 points in 10 games would be pretty damn concerning.
Totally agree. I watched few highlights recently from him and i really like what i saw. He is a creative player and he is showing it. Not producing on a worst league would be concerning for a 3rd overall pick. We have to evaluate not only the production, but at the end, this is the most difficult thing to do in the nhl. KK is going well right now and thats encouraging

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Re: KKs skating

Would recommend doing a quick google search & take a look at 1978 #1 overall pick Bobby Smith’s skating technique (if you never saw him play)....that’s who KK is now and will always be, just sayin.

Getzlaf is prairie boy big boned & thick, KK is gangly & awkward - he’s already put some meat on those bones & will continue to but will always by gangly & awkward.....worked just fine for Bobby

I'm not so sure Kotkaniemi is as awkward with his skating as he was when he was 18. He's been working with a skating coach and I've seem some improvement. So it's too early to nail down IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the Habs didn't rush him into the NHL at the age of 18, he might have saved his Dad from being fired that season too!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And just as he gets going he's pulled away.
That's rather unfortunate.

Yeah... It's unfortunate cause it would be nice to see him gaining more confidence but this way... he's able to be ready for camp if they start that up in December sometime. I just want hockey back! Especially if we are going to be stuck at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad