Player Discussion Jesper Boqvist

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Very responsible defensively, seems to get positioning. I think he's focused on his defense as a priority and now seems to be comfortable and is now looking for offensive opportunities and chipping in. Most fringe guys would go for offense first mentality to try and pad their stats ..he gets his role and is thriving.

Reactions: HustleB and Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When the gm creates the mess by continually signing low end players and trading top picks, he doesn’t get to point to the complete load of shot he’s forced to sign and say what did you expect? I criticized Bill Belichick a couple of years ago for doing the same thing because it was self created bullshit then just like it is now.

It has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the ineptitude in the front office.
This didn’t age well

Thank you to the regime for Bo & Heinie

A+ both moves

I love this regime

A big fan of Jesper. Never takes a shift off even if it’s not going well
Didn’t like the signing

Loving it now

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This didn’t age well

Thank you to the regime for Bo & Heinie

A+ both moves

I love this regime

Didn’t like the signing

Loving it now
What’s really sad is when the gm does such a subpar job that the fans like yourself develop Stockholm syndrome and cheer him on for simply finding relatively competent players. Not game breakers or actual impact guys but lower level depth guys. I mean wow, JFC, how complacent are you as a consumer, dude? :naughty:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What’s really sad is when the gm does such a subpar job that the fans like yourself develop Stockholm syndrome and cheer him on for simply finding relatively competent players. Not game breakers or actual impact guys but lower level depth guys. I mean wow, JFC, how complacent are you as a consumer, dude? :naughty:
You aren't impressed from the production from JVR, Heinen and Boqvist for under $3 mil?

And I'm curious, how would you have found game breakers last season with the amount of cap space they had? They barely had enough cap space to sign 5 minimum guys after going for it...

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Na, this was a great move at the money. It deserves to be highlighted. Sweenius got something here. But most notably since we had no cap space.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You aren't impressed from the production from JVR, Heinen and Boqvist for under $3 mil?

And I'm curious, how would you have found game breakers last season with the amount of cap space they had? They barely had enough cap space to sign 5 minimum guys after going for it...
Meh, if Heinen was so good why did they dump him first time around? He's been the same guy so don't try to sell me that he's looked different. JVR, I'm unimpressed with. Boqvist has been solid. But let's be honest. Sweeney wasn't signing these guys to be smart, he signed them because he had to since he f***ed up the cap going all in last season. He had no choice. The fact he hit on a few is great, but it could have been like a few off seasons ago where he went bargain basement shopping and missed wildly. So if you want to give him credit now, I fully expect you to be honest and give him the negative for that spin.

All that is a long way to say sometimes you take a flier and it works out, sometimes you take a flier and it doesn't, but the smart thing to do is not f*** up your cap space and be forced to do this regularly, which Sweeney has yet to realize.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Meh, if Heinen was so good why did they dump him first time around? He's been the same guy so don't try to sell me that he's looked different. JVR, I'm unimpressed with. Boqvist has been solid. But let's be honest. Sweeney wasn't signing these guys to be smart, he signed them because he had to since he f***ed up the cap going all in last season. He had no choice. The fact he hit on a few is great, but it could have been like a few off seasons ago where he went bargain basement shopping and missed wildly. So if you want to give him credit now, I fully expect you to be honest and give him the negative for that spin.

All that is a long way to say sometimes you take a flier and it works out, sometimes you take a flier and it doesn't, but the smart thing to do is not f*** up your cap space and be forced to do this regularly, which Sweeney has yet to realize.

JVR is FIFTH on the team in points at 37 (+9) for 1 million bucks. But you aren't impressed.

Well ok then. Tough crowd.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

What would it take to impress you?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I went to UMass and Salem State they never talked about what Stockholm Syndrome is. Is it something I have. I thought it was a movie on Netflix made in the 80’s starring Nicolas Cage & Glenn Close.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Well Heinen was brought in IMO because they thought Monty could bring more out of him and JVR while not my favourite to watch is providing some garbage goals which they lacked last playoffs.

I think the difference from now to 3 years ago is he's seemed to have learned not to hand out 3 year contracts to low lineup guys like Reilly/Moore/Forbort. Those were bad signings, no doubt, but he went out took 5 signings of low risk guys for only 1 year in Boqvist/JVR/Heinen/Lucic/Shattenkirk, which I think was smart personally, but obviously was forced to due to cap restraints.

And as for the lack of cap space being his fault, I think we could argue all day about if he should have went all in or not or if he got the right pieces via trade, but until they were knocked out I think every person was pretty happy with the moves to bolster that team and punt our cap problems to this season.

I personally don't fault him even if it didn't work out, I'd rather a GM who goes all in when they have the chance to win than one who bargain bin adds guys like Stafford, Zanon and Stempniak.

All that being said I think he did a good job with these guys, regardless if the wound was self inflicted.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

heinen would be good if he had scoring touch. but he doesnt. youre right. hes exactly how he was his first go around.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
5 signings of low risk guys for only 1 year in Boqvist/JVR/Heinen/Lucic/Shattenkirk, which I think was smart personally, but obviously was forced to due to cap restraints.

I'd like to see them approach free agency like this every year.

A GM who goes fishing for medium-sized fish (which is typically what you find at the top of the UFA pool) every July is a sign of a bad GM. It means that GM hasn't traded well. Hasn't drafted and developed well. Hasn't made good decisions on who to extend, how long, and/or how much.

The true big fish very rarely make it to free agency.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's two years younger than Debrusk, and also does not project to cost 6+ million. Have to think he's made management look at things differently.

I cannot imagine management even considers them in the same sentence when projecting roster moves. One is a borderline NHLer and one is an established complementary top 6 winger.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I cannot imagine management even considers them in the same sentence when projecting roster moves. One is a borderline NHLer and one is an established complementary top 6 winger.
I'm not so sure about that anymore. He's only 17 points behind in 33 less games while one guy is always top 6 and the other is always line 4. Has a slightly worse points per game, but that is to be expected given their ice time totals.

Jake is definitely doing his best to play himself out of Boston

Reactions: Ladyfan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What would it take to impress you?
Again, like I've explained already, it's not that the low rent signings haven't worked out this time. They generally have. It's more that they find themselves in a cycle where they have to do this type of shit over and over again just to fill out a roster. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Let's go about this another way though. Do you feel this roster is strong enough to make a deep playoff run? Yes or no? If no, then what are these low rent deals actually doing for you, other than allowing Sweeney to ice a complete roster because of the cap jail situation he's generally put himself in over his tenure here? If you do think this is a true cup contender, please tell me what I'm missing because I don't see it. I see a less than one line team with a lot of bottom of the roster types playing up. The fact that they've gotten away with it in the regular season is great, but do you think it will actually continue against far better teams that will game plan to exploit those holes?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
This was definitely they guy I thought the bruins signed. good on him for taking the role when the bruins called him back up.
sounds like jesper said he needed some time to get adjusted to the bruins. drafted by devils and didn't know anything else.
apparently he was ok going to providence - felt like it helped him make that adjustment.

the next question is whether he's capable of doing this on the wing - or whether he's ready for a shot at a slightly bigger
role in the middle.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Again, like I've explained already, it's not that the low rent signings haven't worked out this time. They generally have. It's more that they find themselves in a cycle where they have to do this type of shit over and over again just to fill out a roster. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Let's go about this another way though. Do you feel this roster is strong enough to make a deep playoff run? Yes or no? If no, then what are these low rent deals actually doing for you, other than allowing Sweeney to ice a complete roster because of the cap jail situation he's generally put himself in over his tenure here? If you do think this is a true cup contender, please tell me what I'm missing because I don't see it. I see a less than one line team with a lot of bottom of the roster types playing up. The fact that they've gotten away with it in the regular season is great, but do you think it will actually continue against far better teams that will game plan to exploit those holes?

It's cute that you think this is a Bruins thing and not an NHL cap thing for winning teams were success (in the form of more W's than L's) usually means performing players get paid.

I'm guessing you like Florida? You could argue Florida at any one point has had 6 to 12 of these kinds of contracts the last few years. Far more than us.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's cute that you think this is a Bruins thing and not an NHL cap thing for winning teams were success (in the form of more W's than L's) usually means performing players get paid.

I'm guessing you like Florida? You could argue Florida at any one point has had 6 to 12 of these kinds of contracts the last few years. Far more than us.
No, what’s actually cute is that you were sold an excuse and have readily accepted it. Not only have you bought it hook line and sinker, you’re willingly asking for seconds.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
No, what’s actually cute is that you were sold an excuse and have readily accepted it. Not only have you bought it hook line and sinker, you’re willingly asking for seconds.

No, I understand that since covid, the cap freeze has done this all over the league. And I gave you the example of probably the best Eastern conference team having it worse than us.

You not seeing that is a you thing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, I understand that since covid, the cap freeze has done this all over the league. And I gave you the example of probably the best Eastern conference team having it worse than us.

You not seeing that is a you thing.
No, you cherry picking an example that fits your narrative is a you thing. I could just as easily pick a slew of teams that have far more top 6 depth and are in better cap situations than Boston if I wanted. I could also say f*** the cap and pick a slew of teams that also have cap issue like Boston, but again still have far more top6 depth. My point is and has always been that it's not what you spend but how you spend it. You refusing to understand this is on you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad