Player Discussion Jesper Boqvist

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not exactly sure how we are turning Boqvist’s success into a negative for Sweeney

He’s objectively not a bad GM, there is no argument to make that he is. People used to say Bergeron and Krejci carried him, well look at the standings right now. That excuse is gone. There are no more angles to take, he builds good teams. You can disagree with *how* he builds them but they’re still good teams. They don’t really have any albatrosses right now either.

Boqvist was a good value signing. It is what it is.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Not exactly sure how we are turning Boqvist’s success into a negative for Sweeney

He’s objectively not a bad GM, there is no argument to make that he is. People used to say Bergeron and Krejci carried him, well look at the standings right now. That excuse is gone. There are no more angles to take, he builds good teams. You can disagree with *how* he builds them but they’re still good teams. They don’t really have any albatrosses right now either.

Great post!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's two years younger than Debrusk, and also does not project to cost 6+ million. Have to think he's made management look at things differently.

Let's pump the brakes a bit here until Bo shows this is more than just a 10 game heater.

sounds like jesper said he needed some time to get adjusted to the bruins. drafted by devils and didn't know anything else.
apparently he was ok going to providence - felt like it helped him make that adjustment.

the next question is whether he's capable of doing this on the wing - or whether he's ready for a shot at a slightly bigger
role in the middle.

I'd like to see what Bo and Beecher can do together on the 4th - Beecher taking the faceoffs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No, you cherry picking an example that fits your narrative is a you thing. I could just as easily pick a slew of teams that have far more top 6 depth and are in better cap situations than Boston if I wanted. I could also say f*** the cap and pick a slew of teams that also have cap issue like Boston, but again still have far more top6 depth. My point is and has always been that it's not what you spend but how you spend it. You refusing to understand this is on you.
I’d love to see said slew of teams in better cap situations with more top 6 depth. I assume a slew would be at least five?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’d love to see said slew of teams in better cap situations with more top 6 depth. I assume a slew would be at least five?
Well that’s the really cool thing about the internet bro. You can google it and see for yourself. 14 teams have cap space. You can decide for yourself how many have more or less depth on your own. Even for the teams that are up against the cap like Boston, there are plenty with better top 6 depth, if you’re honest with yourself. But again, don’t take my word for it. Go use the google machine and make your own determination.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
For $775K which is just a bit about the NHL minimum I like the value of Boqvist's contract for this season.

Reactions: Ladyfan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Well that’s the really cool thing about the internet bro. You can google it and see for yourself. 14 teams have cap space. You can decide for yourself how many have more or less depth on your own. Even for the teams that are up against the cap like Boston, there are plenty with better top 6 depth, if you’re honest with yourself. But again, don’t take my word for it. Go use the google machine and make your own determination.
Did any of those teams lose both of their top 6 Cs last offseason? The Bruins had a pretty unique offseason as far as I can remember.

Don't know a team to lose guys like Bergy/Krejci/Hall/Bertuzzi/Orlov all in one offseason.

Maybe the last team would be the 2010 Hawks who lost a big chunk due to cap constraints after their win.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ok

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did any of those teams lose both of their top 6 Cs last offseason? The Bruins had a pretty unique offseason as far as I can remember.

Don't know a team to lose guys like Bergy/Krejci/Hall/Bertuzzi/Orlov all in one offseason.

Maybe the last team would be the 2010 Hawks who lost a big chunk due to cap constraints after their win.
Beats me, but seeing how Sweeney had already lost Krejci once, and Bergeron was talking about wrapping his career up a couple of times before, I don't get how that caught him unprepared or off guard. You guys continue to amaze me with the constant excuse making and rewriting of the narrative to absolve this guy for f***ing up. And if you're going to say they lost player x, y, and z, at least be honest. They didn't lose Bertuzzi or Hall. They declined to resign Bertuzzi and traded Hall. Why? Because Sweeney f***ed up the cap, yet again. LOFL

I wouldn't say it's a negative, but I don't get why so many people are going out of their way to congratulate Sweeney like he expected this or something. He didn't. He got lucky. If he and the team expected it, Boqvist would have been playing all along instead of filling in on spot duty. No need to dislocate a shoulder to pat yourselves on the back here. It's been a nice little stretch. Emphasis on the short stretch part. :naughty:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Beats me, but seeing how Sweeney had already lost Krejci once, and Bergeron was talking about wrapping his career up a couple of times before, I don't get how that caught him unprepared or off guard. You guys continue to amaze me with the constant excuse making and rewriting of the narrative to absolve this guy for f***ing up.
I mean whatever dude im pretty sure this discussion has been had a million times on here and I frankly couldn't care less about Sweeney staying or going.

I root for the team not the managemnet, but I think he's done a good job in his tenure, he had a rocky start and is a cup or two short of perfection.

I'm not sure how a positive thread about a pretty solid signing in Boqvist turned so negative.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean whatever dude im pretty sure this discussion has been had a million times on here and I frankly couldn't care less about Sweeney staying or going.

I root for the team not the managemnet, but I think he's done a good job in his tenure, he had a rocky start and is a cup or two short of perfection.

I'm not sure how a positive thread about a pretty solid signing in Boqvist turned so negative.
I don't know, I didn't realize being honest with an assessment was "being negative". I thought it was just being, you know, truthful. But hey, you do you, I guess.

Reality isn't for everyone. :naughty:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well said, most negative people don't even realize they're doing it, they generally think they're realists. :laugh:

I'm not directing this at that poster, but that's one of my favorites.

Give a more positive view on something than someone being negative and you're just an "optimist", but they're a "realist". Of course...not a pessimist.

So pretentious and it's practically a trademark thing amongst people who are persistently negative. They can't see themselves as anything but "realists" in a sea of people who just can't see the truth. Borderline narcissism.

Reactions: NDiesel

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Apparently Jack Hughes knows what he’s talking about when he said Bruins got a good player

Smart good player

25 and best years ahead

2(34) in draft in 2017

Was highly rated
Ya I don't know how Sweeney keeps finding these guys. It's impressive.

I really like his creativity with the puck. He's got a very underrated skill set...good vision, hands, skating ability.

Oddly enough, his game suits a 4th line role really well. He drives play and works best when he has the puck on his stick. I think he's better utilized when he is your go-to guy on the 4th line than being a complimentary piece somewhere else like Heinen for example.

Keeper

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I don't know, I didn't realize being honest with an assessment was "being negative". I thought it was just being, you know, truthful. But hey, you do you, I guess.

Reality isn't for everyone. :naughty:
Your honest assessment is boqvist is a terrible signing? The 25 year old who he got for less than a million dollars in free agency. The guy that who is +11 with 11 points and zero pp time? Common bud. That’s not honesty. Boqvist plays the game really well in all three zones and provides some offence. I can’t even believe anyone is complaining

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Your honest assessment is boqvist is a terrible signing? The 25 year old who he got for less than a million dollars in free agency. The guy that who is +11 with 11 points and zero pp time? Common bud. That’s not honesty. Boqvist plays the game really well in all three zones and provides some offence. I can’t even believe anyone is complaining
Nah, it's fine. But he's really a replaceable player. He's a JAG type. And my point was always that if they were so sure they were going to hit on the player, why has he only gotten in 35 games? Like if they were so confident he'd be a must sign like multiple people seem to suggest, why hasn't he played all season?

To sum up, the player isn't the issue here. The sweeney fans self created fantasy land bullshit is what I take issue with.

Reactions: CDJ and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Nah, it's fine. But he's really a replaceable player. He's a JAG type. And my point was always that if they were so sure they were going to hit on the player, why has he only gotten in 35 games? Like if they were so confident he'd be a must sign like multiple people seem to suggest, why hasn't he played all season?

To sum up, the player isn't the issue here. The sweeney fans self created fantasy land bullshit is what I take issue with.
I see a Lot of upside to boqvist. He is just hitting his prime. I like how he plays the game. One thing I’d like to see is him get a little stronger.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Lonnie says Boqvist sucks take the opposite

He told me once he likes messing around here and everything he says is the opposite how he feels

I’m with bizarro @LSCII he’s been an excellent signing

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If Lonnie says Boqvist sucks take the opposite

He told me once he likes messing around here and everything he says is the opposite how he feels

I’m with bizarro @LSCII he’s been an excellent signing
Like I’ve said multiple times already, Boqvist is fine. He’s a bottom of the roster type, and fills a role for short money. What I have an issue with are the Sweeney swabs that are clapping themselves on the back so hard they’re risking shoulder dislocations, and falsely proclaiming that Donnie Harvard “knew all along”. He didn’t. At all. He signed a dude for short dough because he munged the cap, yet again.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Like I’ve said multiple times already, Boqvist is fine. He’s a bottom of the roster type, and fills a role for short money. What I have an issue with are the Sweeney swabs that are clapping themselves on the back so hard they’re risking shoulder dislocations, and falsely proclaiming that Donnie Harvard “knew all along”. He didn’t. At all. He signed a dude for short dough because he munged the cap, yet again.
Except he did it with six guys this season. Geekie. Boqvist. JVR. Shattenkirk. Heinen. Wotherspoon. Total cap $6.15M. No misses unless you want to hit him on Lucic.

• Haha
Reactions: Alan Ryan and LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad