Player Discussion Jesper Boqvist

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Nothing to get excited over but another possible healthy scratch/black ace type of guy who can take some shifts on the 4th line as an injury replacement and won't be a total black hole. Actually popped 10 goals the last two years too. But overall not a great player.

For $775K, can't complain.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
With only a couple of exceptions ( Looch, Geekie) the signings can be buried in Providence with no cap impact.

it makes for a lot of guys competing for the big club while at the same time providing
a way to manage through this year and not have any carry-over bonuses for next year

given the all - in effort last year this is an objective and realistic approach to this year's asset management ...I know a lot of posters don't like Sweeney but he is doing what needs to be done

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lot's of low end guys being brought in with the hopes they become something they haven't been for their entire careers. Not a real solid plan, IMO. Still have a roster missing top 6 talent, regardless if the bottom 6 is bloated with career 20 point guys. Again, hoping to hit on something that has never been shown is a questionable way to go.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Lot's of low end guys being brought in with the hopes they become something they haven't been for their entire careers. Not a real solid plan, IMO. Still have a roster missing top 6 talent, regardless if the bottom 6 is bloated with career 20 point guys. Again, hoping to hit on something that has never been shown is a questionable way to go.
Really the only way we can go given the cap situation. Not sure why so many are expecting a big name to be brought in.

I think this is a great signing. 10 goals in each of his last two seasons. A 4th line guy who can move up to the third in a pinch. And if he doesn't fit, waive him and move on. Zero risk signing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Really the only way we can go given the cap situation. Not sure why so many are expecting a big name to be brought in.

I think this is a great signing. 10 goals in each of his last two seasons. A 4th line guy who can move up to the third in a pinch. And if he doesn't fit, waive him and move on. Zero risk signing.
When the gm creates the mess by continually signing low end players and trading top picks, he doesn’t get to point to the complete load of shot he’s forced to sign and say what did you expect? I criticized Bill Belichick a couple of years ago for doing the same thing because it was self created bullshit then just like it is now.

I dont know much about him, but hard to complain about signing a 24 year old for 1 season at cheap money.
It has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the ineptitude in the front office.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
When the gm creates the mess by continually signing low end players and trading top picks, he doesn’t get to point to the complete load of shot he’s forced to sign and say what did you expect? I criticized Bill Belichick a couple of years ago for doing the same thing because it was self created bullshit then just like it is now.

It has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the ineptitude in the front office.
Wasn't meant to be directed at your post, valid point IMO, just saying from my perspective I see it as no risk signing

Reactions: LSCII

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Another forward like Geekie with less than outstanding stats whom the Bruins hope can be that diamond in the rough. Hope he finds a home here.
Sounds like a no risk kind of signing, but I don't know why we keep adding forwards when our D sucked so hard in the POs! Can't blame everything on Cliffy and he's the only one gone, should be a long year of watching the opposition skate around in our zone with no D able to clear the zone.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

It certainly feels like a lot of dough going to depth players - all the bits and pieces and minimum contracts do add up. The Bruins currently have 4 legit top 6 forwards signed. Then they have a former top 6 player in van Riemsdyk who's probably no longer at that level but I guess one can hope, a potential top 6 prospect in Lysell who may make the big step up at some point in the season, and a lingering question mark around Bergeron. That's a pretty shallow list of top talent.

I get why things are tough, and I don't know exactly how the math would work out, but it at least feels like it would sure be nice if less depth guys were signed and some of that money instead went towards one more top 6-calibre player. There's still time, of course, but it's not looking very likely. Monty's going to have his work cut out getting regular production out of this roster. He's pulled a rabbit out of his hat once already, can he do it again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad