Player Discussion Jesper Boqvist

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Except he did it with six guys this season. Geekie. Boqvist. JVR. Shattenkirk. Heinen. Wotherspoon. Total cap $6.15M. No misses unless you want to hit him on Lucic.
You giving him credit for an established player like JVR is laughable. Same for Shattenkirk, who really hasn’t been good, if you’re honest. They had Heinen and dumped him once already, so what did he really “know”? Geekie is easily his best move and one I’d actually give him credit for as they expected him to have a role when they signed him. Boqvist and worherspoon were filler. They signed bodies. That it’s worked out is great, but signing a guy that’s filled in for a short time in a part time role isn’t knowing shit about shit.

This is the nonsense I’m talking about that’s hilariously misguided. The mental gymnastics you’re doing to act like he knew something other than just throwing shit at the wall to see what stuck.

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You giving him credit for an established player like JVR is laughable. Same for Shattenkirk, who really hasn’t been good, if you’re honest. They had Heinen and dumped him once already, so what did he really “know”? Geekie is easily his best move and one I’d actually give him credit for as they expected him to have a role when they signed him. Boqvist and worherspoon were filler. They signed bodies. That it’s worked out is great, but signing a guy that’s filled in for a short time in a part time role isn’t knowing shit about shit.

This is the nonsense I’m talking about that’s hilariously misguided. The mental gymnastics you’re doing to act like he knew something other than just throwing shit at the wall to see what stuck.
The mental gymnastics to hand wave away Sweeney’s offseason is f***ing hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: zaYG and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The mental gymnastics to hand wave away Sweeney’s offseason is f***ing hilarious
Were they trading and not resigning good players because they couldn’t fit them under the cap? Were they literally not forced to go with low end signings because of said cap issues?

Yet you want to give him credit? Credit for having a couple of low end players they had to sign just to make the money work be serviceable? Really? Yikes.

Reactions: lopey

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

The only mental gymnastics being done here is by you. I mean come on, JVR move doesn't deserve credit because he's established even though its his best season in the past 3? Heinen signing doesn't deserve credit because he has been here before?

WTF kind of criteria for evaluating moves is this? 130 points from his bargain bin signings, not sure what more he could do really...

Seems like the only criteria is if Sweeney made the move its not a good one - kudos for going against your natural inclination and giving him credit for 1 of the 6 :laugh:

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
The only mental gymnastics being done here is by you. I mean come on, JVR move doesn't deserve credit because he's established even though its his best season in the past 3? Heinen signing doesn't deserve credit because he has been here before? Seems logical...

WTF kind of criteria for evaluating moves is this?

Seems like the only criteria is if Sweeney made the move its not a good one - kudos for going against your natural inclination and giving him credit for 1 of the 6 :laugh:
I mean the only reason they are here is because they didn't have any cap space. It's not like Sweeney said, Ok, I'm 5 mil under, but let's discount shop anways. That I believe is the point he is trying to make, and not sure why it's something to really bring up. Some work out some don't, but I do think Sweeney and the pro scouting should get credit for identifying which discount players to sign. Remember Boqvist didn't even make the team originally, and Patrick Brown got a guaranteed 2 year paycheck and couldn't cut it. Lucic had his personal problems..As for JVR most of his time has been with the top 2 line caliber players. Heinen had to earn his contract on PTO. I'm elated these guys are all doing so well, and Sweeney is a top 3 GM in the business IMO.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I mean the only reason they are here is because they didn't have any cap space. It's not like Sweeney said, Ok, I'm 5 mil under, but let's discount shop anways. That I believe is the point he is trying to make. Some work out some don't, but I do think Sweeney and the pro scouting should get credit for identifying which discount players to sign. Remember Boqvist didn't even make the team originally, and Patrick Brown got a guaranteed 2 year paycheck and couldn't cut it. Lucic had his personal problems..As for JVR most of his time has been with the top 2 line caliber players. Heinen had to earn his contract on PTO. I'm elated these guys are all doing so well, and Sweeney is a top 3 GM in the business.
Yeah I understand Sweeney put us here going for it last year, but I don't think that means you can't say he has done a good job. Don't forget the contributions from Poitras/Lauko/Beecher/Brazeau/Lohrei we have gotten this year too.

I know the OP doesn't like Sweeney and that's fine, I guess the perspective just doesn't make sense to me. To me it's impressive that he has been able to ice a competitive team given the spot they were in - I don't see it as a negative that he was forced into this by his own doing, maybe if they were out of the playoffs with those players being waste of space I could agree

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yeah I understand Sweeney put us here going for it last year, but I don't think that means you can't say he has done a good job. Don't forget the contributions from Poitras/Lauko/Beecher/Brazeau/Lohrei we have gotten this year too.

I know the OP doesn't like Sweeney and that's fine, I guess the perspective just doesn't make sense to me. To me it's impressive that he has been able to ice a competitive team given the spot they were in - I don't see it as a negative that he was forced into this by his own doing, maybe if they were out of the playoffs getting no contribution from those guys I could agree.
good post, agreed. I love the construction of the team.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

I agree with you on this. Jvr and Shattenkirk were no brainers. The smart move was Geekie and boqvist imo. Both are just hitting their prime. And let’s be honest here. Both have been very good.

Geekie is big strong and has cannon. Seattle fudged this up. They should have signed him.

Boqvist too. Just hitting his prime years. Clearly plays a smart game. And now he is producing offence. Jersey should have kept him.

Hindsight is 20/20

Both these signings where very smart imo.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Very convenient to have cap space as some of these guys get deals in their prime. Pumped.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean the only reason they are here is because they didn't have any cap space. It's not like Sweeney said, Ok, I'm 5 mil under, but let's discount shop anways. That I believe is the point he is trying to make, and not sure why it's something to really bring up. Some work out some don't, but I do think Sweeney and the pro scouting should get credit for identifying which discount players to sign. Remember Boqvist didn't even make the team originally, and Patrick Brown got a guaranteed 2 year paycheck and couldn't cut it. Lucic had his personal problems..As for JVR most of his time has been with the top 2 line caliber players. Heinen had to earn his contract on PTO. I'm elated these guys are all doing so well, and Sweeney is a top 3 GM in the business IMO.
Calling it the way it happened is mental gymnastics? Hilarious how you all go out of your way to give the guy credit for shit he did and didn’t do. Such a weird dynamic. I honestly don’t get it.

I’m happy to give him credit when it’s warranted. I just don’t see the need to heap him with effusive praise for getting lucky when he was fixing a self created problem.

But hey, you guys do you, I guess…:laugh:

I agree with you on this. Jvr and Shattenkirk were no brainers. The smart move was Geekie and boqvist imo. Both are just hitting their prime. And let’s be honest here. Both have been very good.

Geekie is big strong and has cannon. Seattle fudged this up. They should have signed him.

Boqvist too. Just hitting his prime years. Clearly plays a smart game. And now he is producing offence. Jersey should have kept him.

Hindsight is 20/20

Both these signings where very smart imo.
Like I said earlier, Geekie was his best move by a lot. I didn’t have much faith that he’d take the next step and become what he seems to be here, but they did. Full credit to Sweeney for that move.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Very convenient to have cap space as some of these guys get deals in their prime. Pumped.
Will be interesting to see how the play-offs go. A new set of higher expectations have now been set with their great success this year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Calling it the way it happened is mental gymnastics? Hilarious how you all go out of your way to give the guy credit for shit he did and didn’t do. Such a weird dynamic. I honestly don’t get it.

I’m happy to give him credit when it’s warranted. I just don’t see the need to heap him with effusive praise for getting lucky when he was fixing a self created problem.

Like I said earlier, Geekie was his best move by a lot. I didn’t have much faith that he’d take the next step and become what he seems to be here, but they did. Full credit to Sweeney for that move.
Virtually every contender was up against the cap this year. Like last year. You keep harping on it like it was some sort of Sweeney error when it’s reality for 80%+ of the teams in the NHL.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Virtually every contender was up against the cap this year. Like last year. You keep harping on it like it was some sort of Sweeney error when it’s reality for 80%+ of the teams in the NHL.
I’m not sure how you can justify not spending all the available money when you’re trying to win the cup

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
He's looked good the past month or so (even though he was cold all of March until philly) but he's still on pace to finish just a little bit above the rate he had produced in NJ the past couple years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

so Sweeney got lucky with Boqvist? Lucky because he’s good ? Because you said Boqvist sucked yesterday

Oops nevermind I forgot you are bipolar

Apologies I keep forgetting you were a world class mental gymnast

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He's looked good the past month or so (even though he was cold all of March until philly) but he's still on pace to finish just a little bit above the rate he had produced in NJ the past couple years.
While it's true he hasn't outpaced last season's numbers, it is far more impressive he's been doing it while skating with the dregs of Boston's roster. With the Devils, he was mostly deployed with Sharangovich and Mercer, who are light years beyond Lauko and Steen, who is Swedish for "zero".

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What's happening folks?

How is everyone doing?
Dan apparently wants to argue about 4th line plugs, but otherwise, I'm doing well. How are you doing, brother?

so Sweeney got lucky with Boqvist? Lucky because he’s good ? Because you said Boqvist sucked yesterday

Oops nevermind I forgot you are bipolar

Apologies I keep forgetting you were a world class mental gymnast
How many games has Boqvist played for the Boston Bruins? I assume they just signed him a couple of months ago, you know, since he wasn't here from the jump?

Reactions: DKH

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dan apparently wants to argue about 4th line plugs, but otherwise, I'm doing well. How are you doing, brother?

How many games has Boqvist played for the Boston Bruins? I assume they just signed him a couple of months ago, you know, since he wasn't here from the jump?
I'm doing great thanks Lonnie!

Although, I did lose a half hour of my day I wish I could have back. So, I'm taking Monday off work to make up for it though.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII and CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm doing great thanks Lonnie!

Although, I did lose a half hour of my day I wish I could have back. So, I'm taking Monday off work to make up for it though.
I think that’s more than fair. Next time someone makes me attend a con call that should have been an email, I’m going to have to take a week off to recuperate

• Haha
Reactions: Kegs and DominicT

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I really hope Dollar Store Donny sends Tommy Fitzgerald some Legal seafoods clam chowder or just drops it off at his house since they probably don’t live 20 minutes apart)

Zacha & Boqvist- really ?

Who’s next? Dawson Mercer

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What you need to look at and not just the stat sheet, but Zachas overall game, he is a good player that knows what a back check. My biggest complaint with him is his shot accuracy.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I understand where both @LSCII and @DKH are coming from on the Sweeney topic. Can’t deny he’s made some bad decisions as Bruins GM; same goes for denying him credit when he does a great job.

Happy the Boqvist has been able to carve out a role for himself and have a positive impact out there. He, like Brazeau, seems to be building confidence the more he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad