Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman voted an All Star

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
An All Star that almost certainly will be bumped again for whatever reason G1 of the playoffs.

Congrats to him regardless.

This organization has treated Swayman like trash for 3 playoffs running I'd be worried if he made warm and fuzzy comments about it.

Rask starts all 7 games badly injured vs the Isles. Next year Ullmark gets drilled badly in G1 and is allowed to start G2 for no valid reason. Last year Ullmark gets the first 6 games badly injured. Its been shameful and pathetic and we easily could have come away with a Cup one of those seasons especially 2021 when we could have had a freakin Stanley Cup finals against the hated Habs.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I’m not worried about JS. He’s probably a little sore still, and appears to be using it for motivation. If so, lucky us, he’s been fantastic.

Bruins know what they have in him, and I’m sure will mend fences particularly now that they will have some room next season cap wise.

Of course I could be completely wrong. Not the first time. Today, even.

As far as appropriate to say that? Well, I like my goalies to be a little nutty. Show me a list of the best goalies out there, and I’ll bet more than a few have a little “nutty” in them.

Of all positions, it’s the one that has to be able to compartmentalize like the devil. Hard to do that and always seem “normal” is all things.

And you aren’t a habitual complainer or a broken record endless loop on one take
Are you just saying that to gain leverage in your HF Boards contract negotiations?:laugh:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I dont think Mad Mike is someone I’d take advice from in regard to goalie trades.
Speaking of……. I saw mad Mike in the grocery store today. I gave him a very subtle and very quiet “hey, it’s #26”. He just gave me a pretty gruff “Yeah. How you doin?”

Seemed kinda grouchy, but he probably wanted to just have a quick shop and not be bothered.:laugh:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Thomas was pissed when he lost his starting job to Rask leading into the 2010 playoffs.

Did they try and deal him in the off-season? I don’t remember.

I do remember that as an FU he removed the black and gold color from his mask and pads.

Rask started the opener in Prague in 2010 and Thomas took the job over again and didn’t relinquish it.

You have to be a little bit nuts to be a pro athlete and use whatever motivation you can to get an edge.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I love Swayman but really don't love the comment. Just shows he's bitter and there's no real reason to air dirty laundry like that months later. Especially when he was the one who opted for arbitration. Sounds like it didn't go the way he envisioned and can't get over it. Definitely some degree of immaturity. Makes me less confident about him wanting to be here longterm.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Athletic article from October was pretty illuminating. A couple of quotes worth noting:

“It’s all based on statistics,” Swayman said. “The comparables are different from what you want to hear. Some of the things they pull up aren’t necessarily true, for that matter.”

“Of course I’m going to be upset in situations. I’m a human being,” said Swayman. “And I’m OK with that. That’s something I’ve worked on since college. It’s having these emotions, recognizing them and using them to an advantage. Not going complete red brain.”

“I know this is total fuel for the fire,” Swayman said of arbitration. “I’m going to make it a positive. Every adversity I’m faced with, I’m going to make it a positive. Because that’s just what I’ve done since I was a little kid to the here and now. I’m grateful for those opportunities to have that chip on my shoulder and be the underdog. I’ve always loved that. I always love that, man. It’s so, so fun to be in that position.

“When I first got called up, I just came out of nowhere and stuck. That’s something I’ve kept with me to this day. Having the opportunity to represent Alaska, a smaller hockey state, is really something that I get to really take with me and make a lot of Alaskans — and now Mainers — proud. Because I keep that seriously so close to heart. It’s more than me. It’s something I really enjoy.”

Goalies are weird. Pretty clear that the arbitration process caught Swayman off guard as to how intense and in-depth it was, and the guy actively seeks out grievances to use as motivation, so this ended up being right up his ally and he’s holding on to it primarily for that reason. If Sweeney were especially cunning and ruthless you could even see him using the arbitration process to twist the screws that little bit more to deliberately poke the bear and spur his charge on. Don himself hinted at that when he said “every opportunity is right in front of him (Sway) to grab a hold of and find a level of compensation and contract that will really make him happy.”

Comes across to me that the Bruins know their man and will do what it takes to get the best out of him, even if some of it isn’t strictly speaking ‘nice’. And Sway buys into it and basically baits himself to get into that “I’ll show you” mentality that he seems to thrive on. In which case, hey whatever it takes. As long as the chip keeps working for Jeremy and Boston eventually get him signed to a solid long-term deal, it’s all good.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The kicker is that he took the team to arbitration.

It is clear that he was not prepared on what to expect in the hearing and when the Bruins came in and presented their case he had to hear some tough things that he's still bothered by 8 months later.

No one likes hearing negative things about their performance and no one likes the feeling of being underpaid or asked to take a pay cut. It sucks and I can see why it still grinds his gears. I just don't understand why he felt the need to bring it up.

He's eligible for an extension as of 1/1 so hopefully both sides are talking and a deal will get done.
Agreed. My only point is he still feels sour about it obviously because he’s made it public 8 months after the fact while be questioned about how it feels to be an all star.

Is he right or wrong? I don’t know. I just know he’s sour about it. How that affects negotiations going forward we will find out soon.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The kicker is that he took the team to arbitration.

It is clear that he was not prepared on what to expect in the hearing and when the Bruins came in and presented their case he had to hear some tough things that he's still bothered by 8 months later.

No one likes hearing negative things about their performance and no one likes the feeling of being underpaid or asked to take a pay cut. It sucks and I can see why it still grinds his gears. I just don't understand why he felt the need to bring it up.

He's eligible for an extension as of 1/1 so hopefully both sides are talking and a deal will get done.
Sounds like the front office was not prepared on what to expect when you denigrate your own player and offer him back up goalie money.

It goes both ways.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sounds like the front office was not prepared on what to expect when you denigrate your own player and offer him back up goalie money.

It goes both ways.

Why? They got their man signed for what they'd still consider good value and he's playing so well he got an all-star nod. Seems like so far the front office has exactly what it wants. A problem will only arise if Swayman eventually decides he wants to pursue his career elsewhere. So far we have no evidence that that might be the case. A few grumpy comments mean very little, especially from a player who's still a couple of years off becoming a UFA.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sweeney might want to touch base with swayman a couple times and repair that relationship before the contract negotiation's start

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sweeney might want to touch base with swayman a couple times and repair that relationship before the contract negotiation's start
Im kind of worried that if he gets a big (market) deal our fans will turn on him like Toronto fans hate Marner/Matthews/Tavares/Nylander for having too big of cap hits. Unless he has a Cup win to show for it everyone will back track and be like 'oh snap actually give me Ullmark for 1/2 the cap hit.'

We'll just have to see how the playoffs go. We are #1 on the East and you have loons on here screaming that we aren't actual contenders and its a rebuilding year so it is what it is.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I agree with Bruins Network

I could not disagree more. Could have settled? And taken less?

Bruins mismanaged the cap and Swayman had to pay the price. They also lied according to him which again seems like a popular tactic from this management all of a sudden. Swayman says no ill will but obviously that's not the case since he brought it up unprompted.

Imagine this guy crapping on Swayman to "stick up" for Bruins management. Unreal

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Thomas was pissed when he lost his starting job to Rask leading into the 2010 playoffs.

Did they try and deal him in the off-season? I don’t remember.

I do remember that as an FU he removed the black and gold color from his mask and pads.

Rask started the opener in Prague in 2010 and Thomas took the job over again and didn’t relinquish it.

You have to be a little bit nuts to be a pro athlete and use whatever motivation you can to get an edge.
Yes to Philly and Washington. Thankfully they said no or no 2011 cup probs.

Reactions: smithformeragent

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

It goes both ways.
JS also said the Bruins were not truthful, which I would imagine is where a lot of the angst comes from but for some reason people are just ignoring that in their criticism of Sway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad