Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman voted an All Star

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
It’s simple as this (and my theory not fact) Sweeney was pressed on the cap space and thought he could give Swayman backup money for one year (a la Bergeron/Krejci taking low salary) and get back to him following season. What he probably didn’t expect was that a younger player who just had a great season wanting to maximize salary in case he had a bad year the following files for arbitration to get more money this season and the free to do what he wants and banking on another great season to open not just higher salary but more teams interested.

Sweeney needs to make a decision soon I think. He has no choice really but to trade a goalie unless he wants to wrap up a lot of cap space in two goalies. He really should use this opportunity (Ullmark hurt) to see if Bussi can be a good backup

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
For some reason you're only encouraged to trade Ullmark here. It's bizarre.
Swayman was drafted by the Bruins. He’s 25 years old, ripe age to be growing with the core here of Pastrnak, McAvoy, Lohrei etc. Not to mention he’s a great goaltender.

Ullmark is also a very solid goaltender. But he’ll be 31 at start of next season. If I have to choose between the two it’s Swayman easily for me.

Goaltenders don’t usually return much in a trade. The only example of one who did was Cory Schneider to NJ for a 9th overall draft pick iirc. Typically they don’t return much. Makes no sense to me to trade him.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don’t read too much into it. I think it’s just the nature of the business and contract arbitration. He likely had to hear a mix of stats, facts, and opinions that “challenged” his value. All said to give us the best possible deal in a tricky cap year.

I think he's very mature. To name a few early in his career, he had to be sent down when Tuukka was re-signed, was pulled from his first playoff run, and played second fiddle to Linus (despite arguably playing at a nearly identical level) last season, only to be thrown to the wolves cold in game 7. He sees the bigger picture, has been very committed, and I'm sure he'll be taken care of. Well deserved selection and shows how he's valued by our fans and around the league.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
JS also said the Bruins were not truthful, which I would imagine is where a lot of the angst comes from but for some reason people are just ignoring that in their criticism of Sway

That is not actually what he said: he said there were comparables/statistics that he didn't think were true (read: comparisons). Big difference from the Bruins lying in the hearing (as if they would make stuff up that is so easily fact-checked).

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I could not disagree more. Could have settled? And taken less?

Bruins mismanaged the cap and Swayman had to pay the price. They also lied according to him which again seems like a popular tactic from this management all of a sudden. Swayman says no ill will but obviously that's not the case since he brought it up unprompted.

Imagine this guy crapping on Swayman to "stick up" for Bruins management. Unreal
Isn't that how negotiations work? Who knows what number they were discussing prior to arbitration, but the arbitrator ultimately gave Swayman less than what he wanted so he did settle for less in the end. The team's offer is always going to be on the low-end in negotiations and the player is going to want to maximize his value. Neither side is wrong for having their stances.

Lewis Gross has been in the league for a while and should have prepared Swayman for how arbitration cases go. If it was going to affect Swayman, they could have just kept on discussing a contract until a deal was made like in 2018 when Gross' other client Nylander extended with the Leafs at the signing deadline in December.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
That is not actually what he said: he said there were comparables/statistics that he didn't think were true (read: comparisons). Big difference from the Bruins lying in the hearing (as if they would make stuff up that is so easily fact-checked).
“The comparables are different from what you want to hear. Some of the things they pull up aren’t necessarily true, for that matter.”

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don’t read too much into it. I think it’s just the nature of the business and contract arbitration. He likely had to hear a mix of stats, facts, and opinions that “challenged” his value. All said to give us the best possible deal in a tricky cap year.

I think he's very mature. To name a few early in his career, he had to be sent down when Tuukka was re-signed, was pulled from his first playoff run, and played second fiddle to Linus (despite arguably playing at a nearly identical level) last season, only to be thrown to the wolves cold in game 7. He sees the bigger picture, has been very committed, and I'm sure he'll be taken care of. Well deserved selection and shows how he's valued by our fans and around the league.

Great post. Hope you're right.

My sense is that like Krug, he won't be trifled with.

If the Bruins try to low-ball him -- which I don't expect -- he'll wait for his opportunity and leave.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Swayman was drafted by the Bruins. He’s 25 years old, ripe age to be growing with the core here of Pastrnak, McAvoy, Lohrei etc. Not to mention he’s a great goaltender.

Ullmark is also a very solid goaltender. But he’ll be 31 at start of next season. If I have to choose between the two it’s Swayman easily for me.

Goaltenders don’t usually return much in a trade. The only example of one who did was Cory Schneider to NJ for a 9th overall draft pick iirc. Typically theya 38 YP don’t return much. Makes no sense to me to trade him.
A 38 YO Fluery netted the Hawks a second round pick fro the Wild. He had a below league average SV pct at the time of the trade and in his twilight years.
I think there would 3-4 teams willing to trade a first round pick and a decent prospect for Ullmark. Is it enough to move the noodle?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A 38 YO Fluery netted the Hawks a second round pick fro the Wild. He had a below league average SV pct at the time of the trade and in his twilight years.
I think there would 3-4 teams willing to trade a first round pick and a decent prospect for Ullmark. Is it enough to move the noodle?
I turn 50 tomorrow. Takes more than that to move my noodle.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’d hope they take that offer this summer if it’s there. Fleury is a 3x Cup winner, that alone holds some value.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
This honestly seems like a mostly nothing comment to me. Swayman is a tough kid, growing up in Alaska will do that for anyone. With that said he is a young pro athlete that probably experienced his own team telling him holes in his game and negatives of his play with the goal of paying him less not making him better for the first time in his life. That will hurt the pride of any young man, he will better for it in the long run.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Wouldn’t shock me if a long term extension for Sway is announced sooner rather than later. Sweeney has done a good job locking up guys mid season. Think this is closer than people think.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
“The comparables are different from what you want to hear. Some of the things they pull up aren’t necessarily true, for that matter.”
And aren’t necessarily untrue. That sounds more like disagreeing with the choice of comparables to me, not lies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
administratively , he had to take them to arbitration.
It was his only right available to offset the Bruins only making him a qualifying offer.
If he was my client, or kid, I would have told himthe same. The Bruins then had time to negotiate beyond that QO.. For whatever reason they couldn’t collectively find a solution.

Then, I believe, the Bruins chose 1 year instead of 2 year’s arbitration.
Bet theyre kicking them selves in the ass now.

I don’t think they wanted Ullmark and Swayman to expire at the same time leaving them potentially over a barrel.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Jeremy Swayman, now 112 games into his NHL adventure, on Monday picked up his 12th career shutout in the Bruins’ 3-0 win over the Devils at TD Garden. The 25-year-old has made 105 starts, giving him a shutout rate of 11.4 percent.

Shutouts do not a career make, but to use the visiting Devils for some perspective, their Hall of Fame netminder Martin Brodeur logged his league-record 125 shutouts across 1,266 appearances. After three full seasons he had a dozen shutouts in 161 starts.

“I think they’re really special,” said Swayman, asked what significance the shutouts hold for him. ”Again … shutouts are a team shutout, every night and [the win[ obviously was a great example of that … guys filling lanes, blocking shots, making my life easy.”

Swayman was in net for a third consecutive start, his workload increasing after Linus Ullmark was hurt during overtime Jan. 9 at Arizona.

Provided Ullmark remains hors de combat, Swayman is the presumed starter Thursday when the Avalanche come to town. Brandon Bussi, called up from Providence after Ullmark’s injury, remains in the backup role, though Jim Montgomery did not rule out the chance the second-year pro could see his first action.

“Right now, as we’re grinding, it’s really a game-to-game decision,” said the coach. “If it continues, yeah, there’s going to be an opportunity for Bussi.”

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Everyone who said trade Ullmark and roll with Swayman/Bussi was right. A monkey could have told you that was the clear move considering the playoff exit last Spring and Ullmark's sky high value leading up to the season. You just dont keep two #1 goalies when you dont have a 1C or 2C. Glaringly obvious. We are talking about the same GM/FO who architected the 2015 draft to be fair, so is it really surprising they would try to rewrite the book and rotate goalies in the playoffs/totally botch this situation? Nah.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Everyone who said trade Ullmark and roll with Swayman/Bussi was right. A monkey could have told you that was the clear move considering the playoff exit last Spring and Ullmark's sky high value leading up to the season. You just dont keep two #1 goalies when you dont have a 1C or 2C. Glaringly obvious. We are talking about the same GM/FO who architected the 2015 draft to be fair, so is it really surprising they would try to rewrite the book and rotate goalies in the playoffs/totally botch this situation? Nah.

I was on that list.

But unless you know what the Ullmark returns out there were, it's just griping to gripe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad