Confirmed with Link: Jeremy Davies Signs ELC

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He has become an excellent prospect, but people were already starting to lose their minds because he didn’t sign two hours after Northeastern was eliminated.

Just wait, we probably get to go through it again with Walsh next year (or would it be the year after?).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just wait, we probably get to go through it again with Walsh next year (or would it be the year after?).

That's kind of weird over at Harvard...Dmen are #1 and #2 in team scoring.

Very curious to see what Fox does. I think it is pretty obvious that he is going to test the open market.

And think about it, if you're a NCAA Defenseman with the ability to hit FA and choose your destiny why wouldn't you?

You play a position with only 6 available slots...3 if you go by handedness. If you've been drafted by a team with 5 or 6 NHL capable LHD and you are a LHD wouldn't you take every avenue possible to get to free agency? That's essentially what Butcher did.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Yeah, we probably have to go through it next year with Walsh. He had a decent season at Harvard and got better as the year went on, but seems he could use another season - likely as the #1 if Fox doesn't return.

Seems like Carolina will probably trade Fox this offseason rather than lose him for nothing, as he made it clear he has no intention of signing with Carolina. He probably gets sent to the Rangers as that seems to be his preferred destination, though I did see somewhere that he may be considering the NY area so maybe the Devils and Islanders also have a shot. Rangers have 5 1st or 2nd round picks this year, so I'm sure one of them can be moved for his rights. How much Carolina gets back probably depends on whether there are other teams out there that he would consider signing with.

Assuming Devils don't get Fox or sign any veteran RD's, the depth chart on the right side is rather weak. Severson and Vatanen are the only two surefire guys that would be ahead of him and Vats still needs to sign an extension. Carrick and Santini may both be gone by next offseason and are nothing more than depth guys. Walsh will probably have as good of a chance of making the roster in NJ (with an up-and-coming team) than he would anywhere else and he wouldn't have to wait an additional year to turn pro. I'm sure the Devils will make an attempt to sign Walsh this offseason, but that both parties will realize another year at Harvard may be best for his development and that NJ would absolutely want him signed next offseason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shero did tell Walsh at the time have the best three years of your life at Harvard, if nothing else it seems like an accurate assessment.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Shero did tell Walsh at the time have the best three years of your life at Harvard, if nothing else it seems like an accurate assessment.

No, that is not what Shero said. Shero said 'Good luck at Harvard next year, it will be the best three years of your life'. It is ambiguous whether this referred to the Devils signing him after 3 years or as Shero claims, it refers to the difficulty of being an NCAA hockey player at one of the most prestigious universities on the planet.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No, that is not what Shero said. Shero said 'Good luck at Harvard next year, it will be the best three years of your life'. It is ambiguous whether this referred to the Devils signing him after 3 years or as Shero claims, it refers to the difficulty of being an NCAA hockey player at one of the most prestigious universities on the planet.
Depends on the source I guess.

"Reilly Walsh started laughing when New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero told him immediately after he drafted him that his upcoming college career at Harvard was going to be the “best three years” of his life."

Maturation continues for Harvard D-man Reilly Walsh

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Depends on the source I guess.

"Reilly Walsh started laughing when New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero told him immediately after he drafted him that his upcoming college career at Harvard was going to be the “best three years” of his life."

Maturation continues for Harvard D-man Reilly Walsh

Gross quotes Shero's recollection of the quote weeks later in a piece I dug up 2 weeks ago but am not going to bother doing so now. It's a direct quote, not paraphrased as it is here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gross quotes Shero's recollection of the quote weeks later in a piece I dug up 2 weeks ago but am not going to bother doing so now. It's a direct quote, not paraphrased as it is here.
Well it's a direct quote of Shero from after the fact. Whether he paraphrased from what he said exactly to Walsh is unknown.

And whether he meant 3 actual years or he meant 1 year of harvard is akin to 3 years of life anywhere else, doesn't take away from the fact that if you want a guy in your organization, you're best to bring him in before he get's to that 4th year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And think about it, if you're a NCAA Defenseman with the ability to hit FA and choose your destiny why wouldn't you?

The main reason not to is that you might be leaving some money on the table since you'd be delaying the start of your ELC, assuming there was interest from your team signing you after your junior year. Although Fox is in the weird situation where he'd have to sign a 3 year ELC right now since he's 21, but if he were to go to free agency in August 2020, he'd have to sign a 2 year ELC since he'd be 22.

2018-19: ELC1
2019-20: ELC2
2020-21: ELC3
2021-22: new contract

2020-21: ELC1
2021-22: ELC2
2022-23: new contract

Reactions: Triumph

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i’m sure he meant he’d sign him after 3 years, half jokingly

This isn't Shero's interpretation of his own words, nor does it really square with him saying 'Good luck at Harvard next year'. But he might be lying.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
images

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Was this said seriously or as a joke?

Seriously.

Though in some senses Butcher and Davies are similar-type players, Davies is the superior skater. I'd say Butcher has slightly better passing ability, but Davies is also quite good at moving the puck. They both project to 40+ point mid-pairing defensemen who are adequate but not superlative defensively.

Kudos must be given to Ray Shero for acquiring Butcher for nothing (whereas the Rangers, for instance, gave up valuable draft picks in order to acquire the rights to sign Adam Fox). Even greater kudos must be given to the Devils scouting department for unearthing a gem like Davies in the 7th round.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Was this said seriously or as a joke?

Seriously. Go to that elite prospect article and watch the short video the author compiled. Davies is literally denying/slowing down zone entries with both his stick and body, and helping transition the puck the other way by using his escape ability and skating. Kid could be a one man breakout.

Butcher is probably a better PPQB, but Davies is much better at improvisation with the puck, and will create space for teammates in the offensive zone.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Seriously.

Though in some senses Butcher and Davies are similar-type players, Davies is the superior skater. I'd say Butcher has slightly better passing ability, but Davies is also quite good at moving the puck. They both project to 40+ point mid-pairing defensemen who are adequate but not superlative defensively.

Kudos must be given to Ray Shero for acquiring Butcher for nothing (whereas the Rangers, for instance, gave up valuable draft picks in order to acquire the rights to sign Adam Fox). Even greater kudos must be given to the Devils scouting department for unearthing a gem like Davies in the 7th round.
I will say though. Shero has a bit of an addiction for offensive-dmen and he needs to temper it a bit in this draft. We need a defensive stud.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I will say though. Shero has a bit of an addiction for offensive-dmen and he needs to temper it a bit in this draft. We need a defensive stud.

You don't draft players to be defensive studs, it's how you end up with David Hales and Ken Klees. You draft guys that show encouraging traits like Davies, Smith, and Severson and hope they can put it all together on both ends of the ice.

I don't think we should make an emphasis on defensive defenders, but I do think we should look to find some guys with size. We're getting a bit too small defensively for my liking. We should still be able to find defenders above six feet that have the traits Shero and company are looking for.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You don't draft players to be defensive studs, it's how you end up with David Hales and Ken Klees. You draft guys that show encouraging traits like Davies, Smith, and Severson and hope they can put it all together on both ends of the ice.

I don't think we should make an emphasis on defensive defenders, but I do think we should look to find some guys with size. We're getting a bit too small defensively for my liking.
What about the Ekholms? Brodins? Edlers?

There are dmen who are good enough in transition to not be considered just ‘defensive dmen’

That term has lost its meaning the last five years. People see ‘defensive stud’ and assume the guy is useless outside of his own zone.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You can have a shutdown guy that isn't a complete slug. To be honest, Mueller could be that if he used his size more and thought the game a hair faster.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What about the Ekholms? Brodins? Edlers?

There are dmen who are good enough in transition to not be considered just ‘defensive dmen’

That term has lost its meaning the last five years. People see ‘defensive stud’ and assume the guy is useless outside of his own zone.

Only difference between those guys and the ones we've drafted is size. They all show very similar traits although Edler/Ekholm are a bit more physical, being 6'4" likely helps there.

Smith and Davies both show encouraging signs defensively. Hell Butcher is the same way with his reads. Just being undersized (and in Butchers case, slow) limits how effective they can be defensively, an issue the guys you're talking about don't have to deal with.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Only difference between those guys and the ones we've drafted is size. They all show very similar traits although Edler/Ekholm are a bit more physical, being 6'4" likely helps there.

Smith and Davies both show encouraging signs defensively. Hell Butcher is the same way with his reads. Just being undersized (and in Butchers case, slow) limits how effective they can be defensively, an issue the guys you're talking about don't have to deal with.
We shall see with Smith and Davies. I personally think Butcher is a bad fit with our defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad