Confirmed with Link: Jeremy Davies Signs ELC

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think 'best defenseman in the WHL' is an indicator of future NHL success, full stop. Many of the people who've won this award in the modern era (post 1995) have not gone on to NHL success. It's not just that he won this award. It's that he has been very clearly excellent in the WHL for 2 years running now and almost made the Devils coming out of camp last year. He is presumably better now than he was last year, good enough to make the NHL team.

Furthermore, the fact that you put a guy who couldn't possibly go to the NHL on this list is either disingenuousness or ignorance. You'll never admit the latter, so it has to be the former.

Since you need everything spelled out for you - it's the same allocation issue. If the Devils send Smith down to the WHL, he's done for the year in New Jersey. If they send Davies down to the AHL, they will still be able to call him back up. It makes the decision pretty easy if it's even close.

Smith is probably better this year then he was last year, but this upcoming season he could have stiffer competition.

As per Phaneuf I will plead ignorance. Doesn't mean he would have made the NHL though, and there were still 3 other guys that I mentioned. Only guy in the past 20 or so years that went NHL in his draft 2 year after winning the award was Provorov. And I do find it interesting that you all of sudden don't care about precedence.

As for me needing everything spelled out? Please guy, we both know why you get so testy in regards to my posts, and it's not because I need things spelled out.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Smith is probably better this year then he was last year, but this upcoming season he could have stiffer competition.

As per Phaneuf I will plead ignorance. Doesn't mean he would have made the NHL though, and there were still 3 other guys that I mentioned. Only guy in the past 20 or so years that went NHL in his draft 2 year after winning the award was Provorov. And I do find it interesting that you all of sudden don't care about precedence.

Since you need everything spelled out - I don't care about precedence because someone has to win that award every year. I don't really care about the award itself - whether or not he won it, he was one of the top defenders in junior hockey, he's 19, and he's almost certainly ready to play in the NHL next season. Yes, you 'got' me - I used the award as a shorthand for excellence when I should not have done so.

As for me needing everything spelled out? Please guy, we both know why you get so testy in regards to my posts, and it's not because I need things spelled out.

You explaining to me that 'it's not the same as waivers' - yeah, you do need things spelled out if you think I need that spelled out. Really, it's not the same as waivers? I thought it was the exact same? I didn't think about the ways that it was different? I get testy in regards to your posts because you dig in on asinine stuff. But you did actually admit ignorance in the Phaneuf case, something which I would've bet against happening.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
but how about we see what the roster looks like come September before these arguments lol
What fun would THAT be?

Oh, and just for the record, I think Davies is in the AHL unless he looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than Smith.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Can we all stop infighting, folks? It bums me out a bit when two posters I like a lot get mad at each other. We're all passionate hockey fans, here.

I agree that Smith is the more likely bet to make the Devils next year. He's the best defense prospect the Devils have had in over a decade, and the lack of an AHL option is a huge factor. If Smith looks overwhelmed in the first 9 games (NHL allowable for CHL-eligible), the Devils will send him down and can call up Davies to replace him. If Davies were to look overwhelmed in his opening games and Smith were in the WHL, the Devils would have far fewer options.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Can we all stop infighting, folks? It bums me out a bit when two posters I like a lot get mad at each other. We're all passionate hockey fans, here.

I agree that Smith is the more likely bet to make the Devils next year. He's the best defense prospect the Devils have had in over a decade, and the lack of an AHL option is a huge factor. If Smith looks overwhelmed in the first 9 games (NHL allowable for CHL-eligible), the Devils will send him down and can call up Davies to replace him. If Davies were to look overwhelmed in his opening games and Smith were in the WHL, the Devils would have far fewer options.

Treating other NJ fans like dirt is every Devil fan’s God given right.

Dan Ackroyd

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
but how about we see what the roster looks like come September before these arguments lol

Agreed. I think it is very likely that Ray Shero acquires a RW and a D or two through trade/UFA before the season. He is certainly aware of the criticisms he received for being "too inactive" last off-season, even if the criticisms were unwarranted (Devils reportedly went hard after several FAs, notably De Haan and Maroon, but came up short). Shero is loaded with weapons in the trade/free agency market, notably huge amounts of cap room, multiple mid-round draft picks, and myriad blocked prospects.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The Devils have been pretty clear that they don't believe in the 9 game tryout. They sent Blake Speers back well before the 9 game limit and they kept Zacha all year in 2016-17. If Smith makes the team out of camp, I think he will be given many more than 9 games. I don't think his contract should be a factor. I do think it will depend on who they sign as AHL buffers, but right now there's nothing in Binghamton on defense that seems like it should be on the NHL team.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can’t both Davies and Smith make the team if Butcher moves over?

They aren’t going to push promising kids down for Mueller of all people

As things stand now that'd be the easy solution (and it's not like we couldn't use multiple improvements on D) although I'm not sure Ray stands pat on the D in the offseason either.

I do think it's arguing for the sake of arguing to suggest Davies could make the team over Smith. Even leaving out the whole they'd lose him for another pointless year in the WHL, it's still highly unlikely given the praise they had for Smith last year and him backing it up afterward.

If you're arguing in a vaccum without context that's one thing but when you add context, Ty'd have to seriously regress, come in overweight or be hurt not to make the team out of camp this year. Davies might be the new toy and if he's as good as some think he will, he'll either find his way onto the roster soon enough or be trade bait for something else.

My3Sons

Sponsor
That was the mayor's quote fwiw (David Marguiles) :sarcasm:

To be serious though, it's not your god-given right to do it on the open forum.

I was crediting Ackroyd as the writer. I know we shouldn’t be mean to each other. I think my posting history speaks for itself on the issue, but STi’s aspirational statement was just too good to pass up. Low hanging fruit.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I have said this several times over, but I believe Ray Shero makes a move for an established D this off-season. Whether a UFA or a trade, I think he realizes the need to bring in someone from the outside.

As it stands? Here are the Devils D, in my opinion:

LD Butcher RD Vatanen
LD Greene RD Severson
LD Smith RD Santini
spares: Mueller, Carrick
AHL: Davies

My3Sons

Sponsor
I have said this several times over, but I believe Ray Shero makes a move for an established D this off-season. Whether a UFA or a trade, I think he realizes the need to bring in someone from the outside.

As it stands? Here are the Devils D, in my opinion:

LD Butcher RD Vatanen
LD Greene RD Severson
LD Smith RD Santini
spares: Mueller, Carrick
AHL: Davies

A player that can defend against other teams top lines at LD would make a big difference. The question is whether they can land that without giving up core assets or overpaying a UFA.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Devils have been pretty clear that they don't believe in the 9 game tryout. They sent Blake Speers back well before the 9 game limit and they kept Zacha all year in 2016-17. If Smith makes the team out of camp, I think he will be given many more than 9 games. I don't think his contract should be a factor. I do think it will depend on who they sign as AHL buffers, but right now there's nothing in Binghamton on defense that seems like it should be on the NHL team.
The 9 games is the limit. Like with Speers, you give guys a few games and if within those 9 games they look over matched you send them back to juniors. And if you think they can handle themselves, like with Zacha, then they play a full season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I wonder if the Devils want to go with 2 rookies and Butcher on his off hand.

And Mueller could be in the mix as he is the only other lefty to play PK minutes. I fully expect Greene to average 4 minutes a night again, but still, a 2nd lefty would be nice.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The 9 games is the limit. Like with Speers, you give guys a few games and if within those 9 games they look over matched you send them back to juniors. And if you think they can handle themselves, like with Zacha, then they play a full season.

9 games is not the limit. It's an artificial limit that most of the league does not adhere to, nor should it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
A player that can defend against other teams top lines at LD would make a big difference. The question is whether they can land that without giving up core assets or overpaying a UFA.

There are no options here on the UFA market. Ben Chiarot could be a bargain and an upgrade, but not the huge D upgrade the Devils need. In a trade, the only option I can see here is Darnell Nurse, but the Devils would have to take on the Lucic contract in order to make this happen.

The only thing I really don't want to see is for the Devils to repeat the Mirco Mueller mistake, giving up valuable draft assets for a mediocre player who would not represent an upgrade on the Devils current blueline corps, such as a player some people have discussed in Jonas Brodin. If the Devils talk deal with Minnesota it should be for a player who would represent a huge upgrade for the Devils, like Jason Zucker.

kiwidevil

Yip, now is the time to use this cap space asset.
if it takes an extra mil or 2 to get the player you want in ufa that you want, then do it.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
There are no options here on the UFA market. Ben Chiarot could be a bargain and an upgrade, but not the huge D upgrade the Devils need. In a trade, the only option I can see here is Darnell Nurse, but the Devils would have to take on the Lucic contract in order to make this happen.

The only thing I really don't want to see is for the Devils to repeat the Mirco Mueller mistake, giving up valuable draft assets for a mediocre player who would not represent an upgrade on the Devils current blueline corps, such as a player some people have discussed in Jonas Brodin. If the Devils talk deal with Minnesota it should be for a player who would represent a huge upgrade for the Devils, like Jason Zucker.

Do you think it would be smart for the Devils to try to trade for Nurse and Lucic? I think it could be worth it.

Do you think Davies starts the season in the NHL lineup, on the NHL roster as a scratch, or in the AHL?

Yip, now is the time to use this cap space asset.
if it takes an extra mil or 2 to get the player you want in ufa that you want, then do it.

There aren’t any UFA defenseme I would be interested in aside from Karlsson. Unless you’re talking about forwards.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Do you think it would be smart for the Devils to try to trade for Nurse and Lucic? I think it could be worth it.

Do you think Davies starts the season in the NHL lineup, on the NHL roster as a scratch, or in the AHL?

Well, there would be multiple conditions. First of all, Lucic has a NMC(!). This means he would have to waive it in a trade, and it also makes him a huge impediment for the Seattle expansion draft. So I'm not sure I would do it, even if Edmonton were willing to make the deal for nothing in return (Nurse+Lucic for 7th round pick) and Lucic agreed to it. But I do think that new Oilers GM Ken Holland is going to make ridding himself of Lucic at any cost one of his top priorities this off-season.

I think Davies starts the year in the AHL unless he absolutely blows everyone away in training camp. No need to rush him, especially with Ty Smith CHL-eligible for the 9-game NHL tryout.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Well, there would be multiple conditions. First of all, Lucic has a NMC(!). This means he would have to waive it in a trade, and it also makes him a huge impediment for the Seattle expansion draft. So I'm not sure I would do it, even if Edmonton were willing to make the deal for nothing in return (Nurse+Lucic for 7th round pick) and Lucic agreed to it. But I do think that new Oilers GM Ken Holland is going to make ridding himself of Lucic at any cost one of his top priorities this off-season.

I think Davies starts the year in the AHL unless he absolutely blows everyone away in training camp. No need to rush him, especially with Ty Smith CHL-eligible for the 9-game NHL tryout.

Good point. I am almost confident that IF Lucic were to waive his NMC to come to New Jersey, the Devils would have the option to honor it or not honor it, which in this case the Devils would obviously not honor it.

I agree about Davies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad