Confirmed with Link: Jeremy Davies Signs ELC

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So you link me an article that mentions 6 players, all of whom stayed past the 9 game deadline? It's almost like most teams don't consider the 9 game deadline a real thing and that it's the media who hypes it up.

EDIT: Whoops, Yamamoto went back - I was confusing this season with last season.

Yes they stayed past the 9, but they stayed the whole season, and that is the point. And yes Yamamoto went down exactly at 9. The point of the link was to show that team are considering the 9 games.

Now If you look at that draft class the next season, when these guys are in their +2 year and are more likely to get a couple game look, you see that if a player has CHL eligibility, then that player either plays less then 9 and goes back, or you stay in the NHL for the entire season.

I think there was one exception, out of 7 or 8 guys. Now if you have AHL eligibility you see teams more willing to cross that 9 games. Yamamato again being an example of this. Though Necas was a guy who went back to the AHL after 7 games, and Rantanan a few years back played his 9 games exactly and was then sent to the minors. But in that 2017 draft you see a handful of guys who cross the 9 games and then get sent down to the AHL.

Is it a hard fast rule? No, but judging by their actions it certainly looks like a line that teams consider pretty strongly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yes they stayed past the 9, but they stayed the whole season, and that is the point. And yes Yamamoto went down exactly at 9. The point of the link was to show that team are considering the 9 games.

Victor Mete stayed on the roster the whole season but he also played in the WJCs.

Now If you look at that draft class the next season, when these guys are in their +2 year and are more likely to get a couple game look, you see that if a player has CHL eligibility, then that player either plays less then 9 and goes back, or you stay in the NHL for the entire season.

I think there was one exception, out of 7 or 8 guys. Now if you have AHL eligibility you see teams more willing to cross that 9 games. Yamamato again being an example of this. Though Necas was a guy who went back to the AHL after 7 games, and Rantanan a few years back played his 9 games exactly and was then sent to the minors. But in that 2017 draft you see a handful of guys who cross the 9 games and then get sent down to the AHL.

Is it a hard fast rule? No, but judging by their actions it certainly looks like a line that teams consider pretty strongly.

Most of the guys picked in 2017 didn't stay up - they were brought up. Chytil played 2 games in October and then was brought back in March. Rantanen (who was drafted in 2015) played 6 games in October and 3 games in March of 2015-16. So yeah, when teams have time, they tend to use it. Their situations are massively different than Ty Smith - if their team wants them back, they can have them. Once Smith goes he's gone for good. It's a very unlikely outcome that the Devils will keep him for 9 games and then send him back.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The other thing that makes it very unlikely that Smith would get sent back after playing his 10 games under any circumstances is that I believe he can play both sides on defense. So even if Davies forces his way on to the roster, it won’t necessarily be at Smith’s expensive. There is also a significant possibility that Mueller gets put on waivers, if the Devils actually give him a new deal.

June and July will be very interesting that’s for sure.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The other thing that makes it very unlikely that Smith would get sent back after playing his 10 games under any circumstances is that I believe he can play both sides on defense. So even if Davies forces his way on to the roster, it won’t necessarily be at Smith’s expensive. There is also a significant possibility that Mueller gets put on waivers, if the Devils actually give him a new deal.

June and July will be very interesting that’s for sure.
Will they play Smith as a rookie on his off side? I see Butcher as the more likely candidate.

But I wonder who else plays PK. Smith as a 19 year old rookie? Butcher who was trusted to play less then 10 minutes of PK for the whole season? Hard to see it for either of these guys. Davies seems like the most likely candidate of the 3 but only by way of process of elimination.

I feel Mueller might just eek out a spot because of his ability to defend and play on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad