Jeremy Colliton thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have no idea how a coach at this level can get guys to NOT leave the backdoor WIDE OPEN several times per game. The puck watching on this team is like I've never seen above Mite age.

It is amazing to me that guys at this level could possibly be this clueless without the puck. I'm thinking there's a whole bunch of coaches at the tier 1 and junior A level that suck. It shouldn't matter if a guy is a superstar or not. Do your job. It appears to me that very few of the young players entering the NHL have EVER had to play defense, or worry about being accountable for their defensive responsibilities.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And my point is that Kane the ultra talented veteran should be setting an example for young players trying to find their way ... not cherry picking, not playing when he feels like it, not floating around with no commitment to playing the team game. I'm done on this subject - I've said my piece.
I know you said you were done, but i'll say this. Nylander should know enough not to mould his game after Kane. That's on Nylander.
He should have realized by now that he can't get away with the stuff Kane gets away with because he isn't nearly as talented.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I know JC needs more time, but there are times when he reminds me of Fred Hoiberg. The team kind of plays like it too. There are hints of a decent offensive system, but the team for long parts of the game looks disorganized / non chalant. Let's hope it changes for better as the season progresses.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I know JC needs more time, but there are times when he reminds me of Fred Hoiberg. The team kind of plays like it too. There are hints of a decent offensive system, but the team for long parts of the game looks disorganized / non chalant. Let's hope it changes for better as the season progresses.

This team needs more speed on the back end to help their breakouts. Specifically, they need a speedy puck handling defenseman in Seabrook’s spot. It’s got to be a real pain in the ass for JC to have to fit that guy into the game plan.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This team needs more speed on the back end to help their breakouts. Specifically, they need a speedy puck handling defenseman in Seabrook’s spot. It’s got to be a real pain in the ass for JC to have to fit that guy into the game plan.
Part of this is on Bowman too. Our blueline is slow. That said, no one told jC to not play Joker ... ultimately trading him for Nylander. I'm trying to figure out what JC's plan is. If he doesn't have the horses, he needs to change his strategy.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Part of this is on Bowman too. Our blueline is slow. That said, no one told jC to not play Joker ... ultimately trading him for Nylander. I'm trying to figure out what JC's plan is. If he doesn't have the horses, he needs to change his strategy.

On another board, it was suggested when Bowman got Maatta, he didn’t anticipate de Haan would be available or Gardiner would be so cheap. If they had Gardiner in place of one of those guys, they’d have a more complete blue line. On the other hand, Maatta has been really good on the PK. The Hawks have the tools to have a top 10 PK. It really appears that winning games on special teams is the strategy. It doesn’t make for pretty 60 minute games unless you really like the physical game they are bringing. However, top 10 in PP/PK would go a long way toward getting this team to the playoffs.

We’re going to have to wait for the speed to arrive, and it seems it is going to come from Boqvist and/or Mitchell later in the season. In the meantime, just grind out points. Not sure what else Colliton or Bowman can do right now.

A lot of us would prefer to have Jokiharju in Seabrook’s spot right now. I’d still undo that move. After watching this team though, Nylander’s skating is sorely needed and will be a great asset once the other young defensemen are ready. They must have a ton of confidence in Boqvist and/or Mitchell coming in this year and providing what was lost from trading Joki.

Reactions: Cowch

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
On another board, it was suggested when Bowman got Maatta, he didn’t anticipate de Haan would be available or Gardiner would be so cheap. If they had Gardiner in place of one of those guys, they’d have a more complete blue line. On the other hand, Maatta has been really good on the PK. The Hawks have the tools to have a top 10 PK. It really appears that winning games on special teams is the strategy. It doesn’t make for pretty 60 minute games unless you really like the physical game they are bringing. However, top 10 in PP/PK would go a long way toward getting this team to the playoffs.

We’re going to have to wait for the speed to arrive, and it seems it is going to come from Boqvist and/or Mitchell later in the season. In the meantime, just grind out points. Not sure what else Colliton or Bowman can do right now.

A lot of us would prefer to have Jokiharju in Seabrook’s spot right now. I’d still undo that move. After watching this team though, Nylander’s skating is sorely needed and will be a great asset once the other young defensemen are ready. They must have a ton of confidence in Boqvist and/or Mitchell coming in this year and providing what was lost from trading Joki.
I do see the physical talent in Nylander. However, there's something missing in his game. I don't know of it's awareness or grit ... but something is missing. When I watch Shaw, I know he's an NHL player. When I watch Nylander, he's far more suited for the European game with open ice.

I like de Haan. He's a fine 2nd pairing DMen. Maatta was a low risk / decent ceiling trade. He's a good third paring DMen. That said, Murphy, Maatta, and Seabrook ... half of our DMen on the ice can't be that slow. I can deal with 2.

I'm sure Boqvist and Mitchell have high ceilings ... but they're still at the very least a year away. I just don't understand why JC was so down on Joker? His movement would help the Hawks right now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I have been thinking about the Gardiner thing as well, because I recall there being some rumors we had a lot of interest in getting him...either by trade or signing him.

There probably is some truth to a lot of this stuff as Maatta was a top target to help fix the pk/defensive zone issues- that move is a no brainer.. but then like you said, probably out of left field came De Haan whom again checks many boxes we need to help turn this team around..Bowman couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough to get him for....Forsling and Forsberg hahahaha....

but Gardiner was still out there, and what could the Hawks have done at that point? could the Hawks have traded AA away without taking Smith back and using that cap room on getting Gardiner???

Hawks would then have:
Keith
Gus
Seabs
Murph
De Haan
Maatta
Gardiner
Dahlstrom
Gilbert

only logical move from there would be trading Murphy away, but Murphy is a solid soldier on a good term..plus bringing in that many new blue liners rarely works out right away as well..

I personally would have loved to have Gus and Gardiner out there for our power play units with De Haan, Maatta, Keith as the shutdown guys/defensive zone guys..

It is hard to figure out the timing of it all, but I do believe Hawks had plenty of interest in bringing in Gardiner as well, but once De Haan happened simply ran out of room/options. Plus Hawks view Boqvist as someone close to ready, blocking him with Gus and Gardiner really doesn't help much, though we could either just trade Gus at deadline if Boqvist looked ready- or simply let him walk at years end if we made the playoffs..

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't know what their "plan" calls for but for me, why is 44 chasing the guy behind the net?

Toews stopped pursuing, so 44 stepped in. Nothing wrong with that handoff, really. The problem is Toews just circles around with one hand on his stick watching the puck and covering nobody. I zero'd in on him quite a few times in the defensive zone and just watched him specifically, and the amount of gliding around he did, just like he did here on this play, was absolutely absurd.

Nice figure eight Captain.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't know what their "plan" calls for but for me, why is 44 chasing the guy behind the net?

I saw 3 questionable things: as you mention 44 chasing behind the net, 19 roaming around and covering nobody and 5 puck watching covering nobody. Hawks defence described in two words "Keystone Cops".
And for your entertainment here's another example:

Last edited:
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Toews stopped pursuing, so 44 stepped in. Nothing wrong with that handoff, really. The problem is Toews just circles around with one hand on his stick watching the puck and covering nobody. I zero'd in on him quite a few times in the defensive zone and just watched him specifically, and the amount of gliding around he did, just like he did here on this play, was absolutely absurd.

Nice figure eight Captain.

By time 19 left his guy, the puck was already being moved to the far corner. 44 decides it would be a good time to rub off his guy behind the net.

I agree 5 is watching some hottie in the 1st row and Toews is putting on a figure skating show but nothing becomes of it if 44 doesn't go behind the net.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I saw 3 questionable things: as you mention 44 chasing behind the net, 19 roaming around and covering nobody and 5 puck watching covering nobody. Hawks defence described in two words "Keystone Cops".
And for your entertainment here's another example:

Seabrook does this just about every shift. Why is he going to the other side of the ice???

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Seabrook does this just about every shift. Why is he going to the other side of the ice???

I know it's fashionable to blame Seabs for the teams faults but look again. Seabs and Keith are left alone to defend while Shaw does a fly by, Kane looks to shoot the zone and Strome the same ... even though ops have possession.

Regardless of who is at fault it happens far too often with this team.

Reactions: BrianE

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
How lines should be, by playing time:

Saad/Kampf/Kubalik
Caggiula/Toews/Kane(why not just leave this line alone? It was really good last year..)
DeBrincat/Dach/Nylander(lots of offensive zone starts)
Shaw/Strome/Carpenter(MEH, start bringing it)

PP1: Gus/Kubalik/DeBrincat/Toews/Kane
PP2: Keith/Saad/Kampf/Nylander/Caggiula

Reactions: sugoi88

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
How lines should be, by playing time:

Caggiula/Toews/Kane(why not just leave this line alone? It was really good last year..)

Yeah, said that last year a few times, one of our best lines in a long time in terms of scoring and driving possession against top competition.

Isolate the passengers, play your best lines and scratch the worst of said passengers.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, said that last year a few times, one of our best lines in a long time in terms of scoring and driving possession against top competition.

Isolate the passengers, play your best lines and scratch the worst of said passengers.

Pretty much the key to winning, at any level. lol

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Colliton Is too young, inexperienced, and just not suited for this group of guys, when Toews is not going a guy like Colliton can’t talk to him and get some sense into him and get him going again, Toews will laugh at him in his head, there needs to be some authority figure in that position. I just don’t ever see this team doing anything special with a kid behind the bench, it’s not happening, when times get thick and let’s see by a miracle this team reaches this playoffs and this team is down a game or two in the playoffs he will be wetting his pants. I just don’t understand this move at all, maybe for a very young team he can work with them but this team no...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Who would you replace him with?

I think a Ralph Kruger type would work here but he is taken.

I think it is too early to condemn JC but we do need to see some changes specifically to PP2 and benching Seabrook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad