Jeremy Colliton thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Who would you replace him with?

I think a Ralph Kruger type would work here but he is taken.

I think it is too early to condemn JC but we do need to see some changes specifically to PP2 and benching Seabrook.

I dont think JC is a bad coach necessarily, hes just not ready, he should have ben kept in Rockford for 4-5 more years then brought up when he hit 40, or even better should have been brought up as an assistant even now for a few years till he was ready, this is not an easy job.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I dont think JC is a bad coach necessarily, hes just not ready, he should have ben kept in Rockford for 4-5 more years then brought up when he hit 40, or even better should have been brought up as an assistant even now for a few years till he was ready, this is not an easy job.

That is fair. I think Q and the issues he had at the end sped up the process.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just goes to show you that it wasn't all on Q. I was one of the many that thought a change was needed, but that there would be a lot of growing pains under the new coach. So far, not impressed, but again hard to say how much is on him versus on a defense completely lacking in relevantly skillful players (though JC not trusting Joker didn't help either). Special teams is more on him imho, as even under Q one or the other of PK or PP was usually at least good versus both being awful simultaneously.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Q went because it was just time for a change. They had young guys coming up and needed a teaching coach more than a win now coach. Nobody in their right mind thought the Hawks had a good team and Q was just holding it back.

The Bill Walsh theory, no coach or executive should stay more than 10 years.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Yeah, there is a reason that young head coaches are rather rare in NHL circles. However I can't give up on JC quite yet.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We really need to get this PK sorted out, 3rd last in the league at 66.7%.
I honestly could care less about the PP, I mean, it would be nice to get a goal or two here and there with it, but we aren't good enough 5 on 5 to be bleeding PPGA like we are, it's killing this team.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Q went because it was just time for a change. They had young guys coming up and needed a teaching coach more than a win now coach. Nobody in their right mind thought the Hawks had a good team and Q was just holding it back.

The Bill Walsh theory, no coach or executive should stay more than 10 years.

Actually Bowman made it clear he felt his team was playoff team and that it was coaching holding it back

And according to you and others Bill Belichick and Gregg Popovich should have been fired long ago? Good thing no one told them about that so called theory

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Actually Bowman made it clear he felt his team was playoff team and that it was coaching holding it back

And according to you and others Bill Belichick and Gregg Popovich should have been fired long ago? Good thing no one told them about that so called theory

Bowman’s trying to save his job. I don’t believe anything he says. The only thing I did believe in was his plan to rebuild for 20-21, but he must have felt the heat so he abandoned it.

As for the theory, obviously if everything is going great, keep the guy around. Come on BWC, who the hell would fire Belichick.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, there is a reason that young head coaches are rather rare in NHL circles. However I can't give up on JC quite yet.

I have given up on him from the standpoint that this needs to win now, it doesn’t need to teach coaches how to coach for the next 3 years, when this core is gone he can come back and do the job, until then he needs to take a seat and stay in Rockford, a place where he was evolving with the young guys.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I still don't think JC has put his full stamp on this team yet. That will take some phasing out of the core. Remember how much hostility people had toward him when he became HC...Foley and Eddie are very defensive of core guys like Seabrook, so JC coming in and making the moves he might want to will have to be done over time. He has started to put his stamp on the team with the depth moves they made this year but as far as making a big move like benching Seabrook or making Crawford backup will be more difficult. He has two broadcasters with very vocal opinions working against him on a nightly basis. They will bash him to no end if core guys have their roles diminished a lot. Pat and Eddie spend more time bashing ex hawks and young players on the team than a $7 million dollar bottom pair defenseman that cost them games on a nightly basis

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman’s trying to save his job. I don’t believe anything he says. The only thing I did believe in was his plan to rebuild for 20-21, but he must have felt the heat so he abandoned it.

As for the theory, obviously if everything is going great, keep the guy around. Come on BWC, who the hell would fire Belichick.

If Bowman was trying to save his job then he probably would've traded the Boqvist and/or Dach picks. He was probably ready to move on from Q a while ago but he wasn't the only one making that decision. Everything he's done post the 2017 sweep has pointed toward a plan to retool. I give Bowman props for not doing any reckless shit since that playoff series.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I still don't think JC has put his full stamp on this team yet. That will take some phasing out of the core. Remember how much hostility people had toward him when he became HC...Foley and Eddie are very defensive of core guys like Seabrook, so JC coming in and making the moves he might want to will have to be done over time. He has started to put his stamp on the team with the depth moves they made this year but as far as making a big move like benching Seabrook or making Crawford backup will be more difficult. He has two broadcasters with very vocal opinions working against him on a nightly basis. They will bash him to no end if core guys have their roles diminished a lot. Pat and Eddie spend more time bashing ex hawks and young players on the team than a $7 million dollar bottom pair defenseman

Oh ya as if Colliton is more concerned about the opinions of two broadcasters than the success of this team, these excuses really need some wild imagination. How about this very simple solution to the two boogie men broadcasters bullying the poor little guy, how about just win some games and shut them up??? This place never seizes to amaze me with it’s out of the world ideas...

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Oh ya as if Colliton is more concerned about the opinions of two broadcasters than the success of this team, these excuses really need some wild imagination. How about this very simple solution to the two boogie men broadcaster, how about just win some games and shut them up??? This place never seizes to amaze me with it’s out of the world ideas...

I think he'd receive a lot of internal pushback if he starts benching guys that helped the franchise win 3 cups. You think not? Theres sacred cows in the franchise, thats a fact, and Seabrook is one of them. You have two guys with an open forum to push narratives and they do it all the time. Not sure how many games you actually watch though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If Bowman was trying to save his job then he probably would've traded the Boqvist and/or Dach picks. He was probably ready to move on from Q a while ago but he wasn't the only one making that decision. Everything he's done post the 2017 sweep has pointed toward a plan to retool.

Well, I didn’t bring up Bowman. Just looking to enjoy the season for what it is right now. But bringing in the veterans he did right now indicates making the playoffs is a priority. In a rebuild, teams stick with the plan and keep accumulating assets until the young guys show enough to warrant making moves to contend.

I mean, do you think the Leafs wanted to hand a 1st round draft pick to one of their Eastern Conference competitors? The Hawks should have used their cap space to take on Marleau and that 1st IMO. This rushed hodgepodge of moves they made only help if the team wins. If they still miss the playoffs, they just hurt the cap situation and draft position. That’s what put Detroit in the hole for so long.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Well, I didn’t bring up Bowman. Just looking to enjoy the season for what it is right now. But bringing in the veterans he did right now indicates making the playoffs is a priority. In a rebuild, teams stick with the plan and keep accumulating assets until the young guys show enough to warrant making moves to contend.

I mean, do you think the Leafs wanted to hand a 1st round draft pick to one of their Eastern Conference competitors? The Hawks should have used their cap space to take on Marleau and that 1st IMO. This rushed hodgepodge of moves they made only help if the team wins. If they still miss the playoffs, they just hurt the cap situation and draft position. That’s what put Detroit in the hole for so long.

They traded nothing assets for guys they thought could help them win with Toews/Kane/Cat/Gus coming off good years. They committed little long term cap dollars and spent zero first round picks to add to the roster.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They traded nothing assets for guys they thought could help them win with Toews/Kane/Cat/Gus coming off good years. They committed little long term cap dollars and spent zero first round picks to add to the roster.

Yeah, that’s really good. Still, it took us out of the running for free 1st rounders and other assets as a cap dumping ground.

I don’t hate the moves, they brought in good players for a cheap price. However, the long term implications remain to be seen. So far, we can say with confidence they blew a chance at a 1st rounder and that’s not something I would have done at this point. Just my opinion though. We’ll see how everything plays out in the long run.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah, that’s really good. Still, it took us out of the running for free 1st rounders and other assets as a cap dumping ground.

I don’t hate the moves, they brought in good players for a cheap price. However, the long term implications remain to be seen. So far, we can say with confidence they blew a chance at a 1st rounder and that’s not something I would have done at this point. Just my opinion though. We’ll see how everything plays out in the long run.

Carolina bought out that contract. Would it have made sense for the Hawks to do that with Car and Strome up next summer? I don't know what the dead cap is for Carolina atm

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
When he starts holding the core vets accountable, reduces Keith’s minutes and gets him off the PP, severely reduces Seabrook’s minutes or puts him in the press box, starts giving the proper goalie the majority of the starts, then I will give him more of a chance. He is letting the feelings of the core vets dictate his moves and that is not what this team needs, period.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Carolina bought out that contract. Would it have made sense for the Hawks to do that with Car and Strome up next summer? I don't know what the dead cap is for Carolina atm

The contract was structured to potentially be bought out, so it’s just 6.25M dead cap for this year and nothing for next year.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The thing I would honestly say is this.... if Bowman just out and out said either a complete reload or a major retool were needed, and that there would be some pains along the way but that they had a goal to be back to elite contender mode in x number of years, would anybody be mad? Especially after the level of success we had in the past ten years?

Three titles bought a lot of good will, and Chicago is a deep enough of a market to support a team making an effort at getting back to relevancy. I certainly don't blame the team swinging big in 2016 and 2017, but as the 2018 offseason came about it was pretty clear that era of elite contendership was over for at least a couple of years, and yet the team still acted publically like there was a switch here and a change there away from being elite again.

That's what's frustrating. We're not fickle or stupid. We want to just know that there is a plan versus versus continual statements that we're on the doorstep. We don't want to waste Kane's or Toew's primes (if the latter hasn't already passed his), but being rudderless is a bigger waste than taking a few steps back and then going in a single organizational direction.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The thing I would honestly say is this.... if Bowman just out and out said either a complete reload or a major retool were needed, and that there would be some pains along the way but that they had a goal to be back to elite contender mode in x number of years, would anybody be mad? Especially after the level of success we had in the past ten years?

Three titles bought a lot of good will, and Chicago is a deep enough of a market to support a team making an effort at getting back to relevancy. I certainly don't blame the team swinging big in 2016 and 2017, but as the 2018 offseason came about it was pretty clear that era of elite contendership was over for at least a couple of years, and yet the team still acted publically like there was a switch here and a change there away from being elite again.

That's what's frustrating. We're not fickle or stupid. We want to just know that there is a plan versus versus continual statements that we're on the doorstep. We don't want to waste Kane's or Toew's primes (if the latter hasn't already passed his), but being rudderless is a bigger waste than taking a few steps back and then going in a single organizational direction.

Didn't he say exactly that last year?

Reactions: Dividejoy and BK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad