Jeremy Colliton Thread 2

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Bring the best coach in the world, give him an AHL team, now see if he can make that AHL team make the playoffs in the NHL, not gonna happen. This is a depth issue, this team has not depth, after two coaches one of them being a hall of fame coach and we still have same results while your core playing great hockey (Keith/Kane/Toews/goalies). At what point are people gonna start realizing this? This is not some energy or effort issue, a player meeting isn’t going to do jack, this team simply sucks when you stack it up against other teams, it’s not as talented. The only meeting that should be taking place is between Rocky and Stan the man and tell him to pack his **** and get the **** out.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
the person who got me thinking is Marc Crawford. he is an asst to JC....... so who to say that the next head coach isn't with the team already ??

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
McPhee did a great job building that team, it is undeniable. He made some great trades in addition to picking the right players in the expansion draft. Getting Theodore from the Ducks was great and he is looking like an upper echelon defenseman this season. He acquired a lot of extra picks as well.

He drew an inside straight with the format, and he played the other GMs out of as big of a pot as possible.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
McPhee did a great job building that team, it is undeniable. He made some great trades in addition to picking the right players in the expansion draft. Getting Theodore from the Ducks was great and he is looking like an upper echelon defenseman this season. He acquired a lot of extra picks as well.

He drew an inside straight with the format, and he played the other GMs out of as big of a pot as possible.
He did a pretty good job in WSH too, i'd say.

Drafted John Carlsson, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Orlov, Johansson, Eakin, Holtby, Varlamov, Backstrom, Wilson, Forsberg (trerrible trade, but everyone has their blunders), basically the entire core of their Stanley Cup team. Im not really sure why people call him horrible, I can only think of one bad trade he has made.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He did an alright job putting together Vegas.

He traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, for Tatar only to trade Tatar + Suzuki for Pacioretty.

That team's success was a combnation of Vegas flu and Gallant/Fleury rather than McPhee. Dale Tallon was a complete dumb@ss that expansion draft which people said the moment he gave them Smith while forgetting to protect Marchessault

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He did a pretty good job in WSH too, i'd say.

Drafted John Carlsson, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Orlov, Johansson, Eakin, Holtby, Varlamov, Backstrom, Wilson, Forsberg (trerrible trade, but everyone has their blunders), basically the entire core of their Stanley Cup team. Im not really sure why people call him horrible, I can only think of one bad trade he has made.

Hockey moves aside, he does seem like an a-hole, but he has had a lot of success.

I think the biggest things that people point to are the Forsberg for Erat deal, one of the worst trades of the cap era, the handling of the Shipachyov situation and recently canning Gallant. That’s probably why he gets a bad wrap.

However, objectively, taking a step back from all of that and viewing the totality of what he has done on the hockey side in both cities, the body of work has been quite good.

Reactions: LDF

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I never understood why Colliton was hired in the first place.
He had so little experience as a HC.
Few years in Sweden and 1 year in AHL just isn't enough.
He should have been hired as an assistant coach and get some experience.
How can a coach so green be expected to coach veterans that won 3 cups?
There just wasn't any credibility.
Bowman ruined Colliton.
The best I could come up with is that he is a Yes-man to Bowman the Lesser. Q wasn't.

the person who got me thinking is Marc Crawford. he is an asst to JC....... so who to say that the next head coach isn't with the team already ??
This is assuming Stan is still here after this season. I think maybe Stan's plan was to bring in Crawford and have him as a "out" if JC was so far out of his depth he needed water wings, but I also think that the Crawford butt-kicking allegation put a stop to that.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, for Tatar only to trade Tatar + Suzuki for Pacioretty.

That team's success was a combnation of Vegas flu and Gallant/Fleury rather than McPhee. Dale Tallon was a complete dumb@ss that expansion draft which people said the moment he gave them Smith while forgetting to protect Marchessault
Right, 2 bad deals. Every GM has at least that.

As for your second statement. :help:

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hockey moves aside, he does seem like an a-hole, but he has had a lot of success.

I think the biggest things that people point to are the Forsberg for Erat deal, one of the worst trades of the cap era, the handling of the Shipachyov situation and recently canning Gallant. That’s probably why he gets a bad wrap.

However, objectively, taking a step back from all of that and viewing the totality of what he has done on the hockey side in both cities, the body of work has been quite good.
I don't believe he fired Gallant, that was Kelly McCrimmon. I don't understand the hate about the Shipachyov situation. Guy was highly sought after, showed up and sucked so they sent him down.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't believe he fired Gallant, that was Kelly McCrimmon. I don't understand the hate about the Shipachyov situation. Guy was highly sought after, showed up and sucked so they sent him down.

Yeah, I cannot recall the details off the top of my head, but I want to say there wasn’t good communication between Ship and the team. There are two sides to the story and Ship may have been difficult to deal with, same with Gallant as IIRC, McPhee wouldn’t talk to him during the end. Again, it could be a clash of personalities where both sides could have handled it differently. This is just an explanation of why some do not care for him. But it doesn’t have to be a situation where he is all good or all bad. As you said, every manager has bad moves, every manager makes mistakes. Objectively, he has done a good job in both cities and like him or not, it is unfair to look at the body of work and say he has done a bad job. The good moves outweigh the bad and that’s attractive in terms of a GM candidate.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The best I could come up with is that he is a Yes-man to Bowman the Lesser. Q wasn't.

This is assuming Stan is still here after this season. I think maybe Stan's plan was to bring in Crawford and have him as a "out" if JC was so far out of his depth he needed water wings, but I also think that the Crawford butt-kicking allegation put a stop to that.
on both of your comments..... :thumbu:

spot on.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah, I cannot recall the details off the top of my head, but I want to say there wasn’t good communication between Ship and the team. There are two sides to the story and Ship may have been difficult to deal with, same with Gallant as IIRC, McPhee wouldn’t talk to him during the end. Again, it could be a clash of personalities where both sides could have handled it differently. This is just an explanation of why some do not care for him. But it doesn’t have to be a situation where he is all good or all bad. As you said, every manager has bad moves, every manager makes mistakes. Objectively, he has done a good job in both cities and like him or not, it is unfair to look at the body of work and say he has done a bad job. The good moves outweigh the bad and that’s attractive in terms of a GM candidate.

If I recall Ship was also one of the only players who didn't have to go through waivers so he got sent down as a result and then he and his family got frustrated by bouncing in between the A and the NHL.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Go ahead, show me your expansion team you would have picked before they did the draft, willing to bet it looked a lot different than McPhees team, and everyone thought they would finish at the bottom of the league.
Look at all the players thay weren't protected. He got all he needed for free. Goaltending, D with depth and some good Forwards. Most importantly, almost all were NHL talent.

I'd have taken Fleury or Karlsson... that's with all those other contributors like Smith, Marchessault and plenty of picks (that he could easily swap for players).
I credit Gallant, those players but taking them wasn't the hardest part of their early success.

Look at what he did with all those sweeteners and free assets after he needed to do the work. Same GM that traded Forsberg for Erat and was fired.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Look at all the players thay weren't protected. He got all he needed for free. Goaltending, D with depth and some good Forwards. Most importantly, almost all were NHL talent.

I'd have taken Fleury or Karlsson... that's with all those other contributors like Smith, Marchessault and plenty of picks (that he could easily swap for players).
I credit Gallant, those players but taking them wasn't the hardest part of their early success.

Look at what he did with all those sweeteners and free assets after he needed to do the work. Same GM that traded Forsberg for Erat and was fired.
Imagine thinking McPhee didn't do a great job putting that team together and thinking it was easy.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Fire Stan Bowman

May 28, 2019
Bring the best coach in the world, give him an AHL team, now see if he can make that AHL team make the playoffs in the NHL, not gonna happen. This is a depth issue, this team has not depth, after two coaches one of them being a hall of fame coach and we still have same results while your core playing great hockey (Keith/Kane/Toews/goalies). At what point are people gonna start realizing this? This is not some energy or effort issue, a player meeting isn’t going to do jack, this team simply sucks when you stack it up against other teams, it’s not as talented. The only meeting that should be taking place is between Rocky and Stan the man and tell him to pack his **** and get the **** out.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I would hate to see JC leave the organization. I think he has a bright future ahead of him.

But, I don't think he is the right fit for our team right now. I would LOVE to see him as an assistant coach for a couple of years here before given the reigns.

It's a shame because i think it would be huge for him and the organization to take a step back and let him learn a bit. But at this point, he had been given a chance and now it's time for him to prove he's worth it.

Reactions: DesperateBeliever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad