Jeremy Colliton Thread 2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I was high on Colliton when we promoted him to head coach, but he’s been completely disappointing. The silver lining is that he may help us have a shot at getting Lafreniere.
my question is what happen from the team that was look to be improve last season ??

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Same issues over last few seasons - D core is bad, team defense is brutal, special teams issues and the team does not have 4 centers.

Reactions: tgh

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
We won against TB with the Goalie being a #1, the Defense playing like a D and the offense generating pressure and scoring the Goals when needed - and the last post here was 2 days ago? Let me guess, Fluke or doesn't matter?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
From Pierre LeBrun in the Athletic:

Coaches on expiring contracts

As I wrote in October, there are six NHL head coaches approaching the season on expiring deals. Travis Green (Vancouver), John Tortorella (Columbus), Jeremy Colliton (Chicago), Jeff Blashill (Detroit), Rick Tocchet (Arizona) and Rod Brind’Amour (Carolina) are up after this season.

If I had to guess, Colliton gets an extension early in the season, Green gets one during the season and Tortorella and Brind’Amour before the regular season ends May 8. We’ll see how things play out with Blashill and Tocchet.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
From Pierre LeBrun in the Athletic:

Coaches on expiring contracts

As I wrote in October, there are six NHL head coaches approaching the season on expiring deals. Travis Green (Vancouver), John Tortorella (Columbus), Jeremy Colliton (Chicago), Jeff Blashill (Detroit), Rick Tocchet (Arizona) and Rod Brind’Amour (Carolina) are up after this season.

If I had to guess, Colliton gets an extension early in the season, Green gets one during the season and Tortorella and Brind’Amour before the regular season ends May 8. We’ll see how things play out with Blashill and Tocchet.
Ij79ma1W9eOi94ILwdNDGIan8vZ0AsLPuTHrnA4263Wa_ohaFG2yRg_Ptujff1osN4zj5O2RuabbnzNFUgYyEt0

Reactions: deytookerjaabs

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Also a bit of a rough spot considering the coaches even available. Besides Gallant (who I think is holding out for Seattle) and (Jim Monty who is dealing with alcoholism and may be blackballed by the league now based on how his Dallas tenure is rumored to have ended)

you basically have to pick a retread guy that failed out a few seasons ago like MacLellan, or the other option basically is to pick an abusive asshole like Babcok or Peters. Not a whole lot of options available

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I want to see Colliton succeed because I'm tired of all these f***ing retreads and old boy's club members. There are a lot of great hockey minds out there and it would be nice to see new blood in the league.
I want to see him succeed too, but the evidence says he sucks....so far. The Hawks have no clue in their own zone and I think it has to do with his defensive system.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I want to see him succeed too, but the evidence says he sucks....so far. The Hawks have no clue in their own zone and I think it has to do with his defensive system.

Mark Eaton said in his Hawks Talk interview last month that Colliton’s system is actually very common around the league, and it was Quenneville’s that was unusual.

He then said the veterans were used to Quenneville’s system.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

But what if the issue is that they are not a strong team defensively? Like it doesn't really seem like Colliton is asking them to do anything super weird.

And you are ignoring the defensive decline we saw under Q as well.

The reality is this team does not have a proper top pair of dmen and we have several defensively flawed, offensively gifted forwards.

If you look at when this team looked especially brutal, it was stretches when Murphy or de Haan were injured.

I actually can't tell if he is a good coach or not because the team is so flawed. The performance against the Oilers makes me lean towards that he is fine. But when you look at how much the Hawks relied on Dach in the playoffs as a 19 year old, it underscores the team's flaws.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
But what if the issue is that they are not a strong team defensively? Like it doesn't really seem like Colliton is asking them to do anything super weird.

And you are ignoring the defensive decline we saw under Q as well.

The reality is this team does not have a proper top pair of dmen and we have several defensively flawed, offensively gifted forwards.

If you look at when this team looked especially brutal, it was stretches when Murphy or de Haan were injured.

I actually can't tell if he is a good coach or not because the team is so flawed. The performance against the Oilers makes me lean towards that he is fine. But when you look at how much the Hawks relied on Dach in the playoffs as a 19 year old, it underscores the team's flaws.

Idk what to call Keith these days. It's arguable whether or not that averages out to a low end #2.
Murphy and de Haan are good when healthy.
Boqvist is young, and we haven't seen Zadorov on the Hawks.

It's possible that they just suck, but they're not going to get better unless they draft or sign someone that's an actual top pair D.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Bring in European HC!.

I'm tired of these AHL, CHL & NCAA coaches getting "promoted"
Why not get best possible head coach available???

There are soooooo many awesome coaches,..you know,..elsewhere, to be signed
No GM has had the balls to do that move yet thou, who ever is the "first", will hit the jack pot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad