Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've had taken a break for this thread and let it digest for a bit.

Read some of the reasoned arguments for signing Skinner

And i have decided, it's still f***ing dumb to give a 55 pt player 9M a season

That is all.

Reactions: Mortiz and jc17

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I've had taken a break for this thread and let it digest for a bit.

Read some of the reasoned arguments for signing Skinner

And i have decided, it's still ****ing dumb to give a 55 pt player 9M a season

That is all.

I completely agree with you it is absolutely absurd. I’ve enjoyed reading your posts as I agree for the most part. But I’m caving.

Give him the money. We have a lot of money coming off the books in the next couple years. The main problem we have is having no internal players worth spending it on and a lot of worthless players we are paying for. We aren’t Toronto where they made the playoffs, lost and now have multiple contracts we have to worry about. I’d rather be a playoff team worrying about cap than a bottom 5 team worrying about it.

Sign the good players now and worry about cap later. We aren’t in a position to be worrying about cap we need to worry about wins

(I’m not trying to sway you more like a thanks I agree with you. However Id take a chance at the playoffs next couple years over paying him by 2 mil)

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
You aren't paying Skinner for the points he accumulated from 2011-2015, you're paying him for his ability to score goals, especially at even strength, in recent years and presumably in the near future. At that, he's capital e Elite. He might be overpaid now at 9m, but that's the premium you put out to retain talent. In 2 years it'll be the going rate for his caliber player.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Living in Toronto being a die hard Sabres fan and watching the Raptors on their playoff run has me not caring about the number anymore. I want playoffs! I’ve hated basketball to this point but now I’m more interested in the raps then I have been in the sabres in a long while. Playoffs change everything. Sign the good players!

The amount of free shit that’s been offered to Kawhi is incredible.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Living in Toronto being a die hard Sabres fan and watching the Raptors on their playoff run has me not caring about the number anymore. I want playoffs! I’ve hated basketball to this point but now I’m more interested in the raps then I have been in the sabres in a long while. Playoffs change everything. Sign the good players!

The amount of free **** that’s been offered to Kawhi is incredible.
If on July 1st Kawhi Tweets out a pic of him as a kid in Knicks bedsheets I will be the happiest person on Earth.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Again, i'm not worried, besides the "frontloaded" crap, there is another important thing to remember here: He wants to stay in the area. Which other team could offer him that?
Skinner doesn't want to test the FA market, he wants to stay close to home, to family, that's why he came here in the first place. This still applies. The Sabres have more leverage than he does.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Seriously, someone should write a Wikihow, something like: How to not act like a Sabres GM, or How to tank properly
I was also looking for a How to tank like the Oilers, but couldn't find anything.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Briere situation isn't even close to the Skinner situation.

#1. The team was coming off a back to back ECF appearances and a president's trophy winning team
#2. Briere was coming off: 58 pts in 45 games and 95 points in 81 games.

He was an elite center and team captain

Skinner doesn't have near the on ice success and production that Briere did.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Briere situation isn't even close to the Skinner situation.

#1. The team was coming off a back to back ECF appearances and a president's trophy winning team
#2. Briere was coming off: 58 pts in 45 games and 95 points in 81 games.

He was an elite center and team captain

Skinner doesn't have near the on ice success and production that Briere did.

Skinner also doesn't have the team president running him down to everyone in the office due to an arbitration win and actively pulling for the "other" UFA-to-be to be the only choice in the matter.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Again, i'm not worried, besides the "frontloaded" crap, there is another important thing to remember here: He wants to stay in the area. Which other team could offer him that?
Skinner doesn't want to test the FA market, he wants to stay close to home, to family, that's why he came here in the first place. This still applies. The Sabres have more leverage than he does.

I have seen other comments that make it seem Buffalo is the only one in the area and while we could agree it is the closest after eliminating Toronto due to cap constraints however it isn't the only reasonably close option. Buffalo is 119 miles (191km) and roughly 1 hour 50 min from Markham if that's still where his family resides. It is 239 miles (384km) and roughly 3 hours 45min to Detroit and 275/442 or 4 hours to Ottawa. If Skinner's top two concerns are family and money then he has two other reasonable options. Obviously I would argue Buffalo has the better roster, certainly the better top end talent, and a leg up on the others because he is familiar with the city and organization however it depends on which criteria is most important to him. If the reporting is accurate he will resign and be a Sabre for the foreseeable future so this is all moot.

Reactions: MrMaster

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
A) The Sabres sign Skinner and retain a much needed scorer that they can't afford to lose - THAT'S A WIN!

B) Skinner walks. The Sabres avoid grossly overpaying a player whose scoring would have dropped quicker than you can say Geoff Sanderson - ANOTHER WIN!

Why all the angst? No matter what happens we can't lose. Start thinking the Krueger way and things will look a whole lot brighter.

Remember the words of the prophet Phil who said "we're not going through that again" before he was martyred.

Reactions: Eichel9

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
“We might have hard decisions in six years so we shouldn’t make an easy one now”

That’s what half this thread is.
In the context of being a bottom-3 team at generating quality chances, which he's elite at.

In the context of having the fewest wins and points of any NHL team since Jack's rookie year, ie AFTER the tank was over.

It's insane

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad