Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Another question - how elite is Jeff Skinner? Where do you rank him compared to other top line wingers? Is there a cap on what you should pay for a top line winger?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This just means he’s not taking even a slight discount to sign early for the 8 years.

Sell him at the deadline to a contender - he’ll waive for a few months playing with a top team. If he really wants to come back, we’ll be in the mix to sign him as UFA. But he’s giving no incentive to sign him early.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So supposedly he wants 9-9.5 mil aav just to avoid testing the market? So he expects 10 mil per? I'm not buying it m. And even if true ask this question again when he has a 1 goal in 10 game stretch and it surely wont be this high.

Skinner would need to hit 50 goals for this kind of $. Even with his insane scoring he doesnt get the assists so I doubt he finishes with ppg+. If he thinks 45-30-75 is worth 9.5 mil per hes mistaken.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So supposedly he wants 9-9.5 mil aav just to avoid testing the market? So he expects 10 mil per? I'm not buying it m. And even if true ask this question again when he has a 1 goal in 10 game stretch and it surely wont be this high.

Skinner would need to hit 50 goals for this kind of $. Even with his insane scoring he doesnt get the assists so I doubt he finishes with ppg+. If he thinks 45-30-75 is worth 9.5 mil per hes mistaken.

I think it is the usual "ask for more than you think you can get" opening offer.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
@Sabre the Win

They traded twice within the conference, one being a 3 way trade and the other a small piece. Not sure why you think they are going to trade Stone to us at the TDL?

And I don't know why a non-TDL deal would be the barometer for a TDL deal.

I expect the Sens to take the best offer on the table for Stone and Duchene if they are sellers at the TDL since it is a rental situation and not a longer term deal.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Incredible post. You were singing such a different tune about Skinner before these unsubstantiated rumors. Now you're already discussing hypothetical goal scoring droughts which will drive down his price.

If Tim Murray was still GM you would no doubt be talking about what an idiot he was for even having these discussions with Skinner for that much AAV.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think it is the usual "ask for more than you think you can get" opening offer.

Even if it's a "ask for more than you're willing to accept" thing, his AAV is still starting with an 8 if/when he re-signs here. At best, it's 8 flat. More likely 8.5ish.

And if he keeps going at this rate, he's easily getting 9 on the open market.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Even if it's a "ask for more than you're willing to accept" thing, his AAV is still starting with an 8 if/when he re-signs here. At best, it's 8 flat. More likely 8.5ish.

A lot will depend on who hits the market with guys like Panarin, Stone and Duchene potentially going to market, as well.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
$9,500,000 is a big dent. I mean we can do it, but its going to be tight when Dahlin gets his $9-11 mi and Jack at $10. Sam's going to want $6-7mil, Casey could end up in the 6-8mil range. Okposo is going to have be be moved.

I think 7 years at $7.5-8.5 mil is a very fair offer for Skinner. That's a lot more total money than the Kane contract. I think he's awesome, but this is his UFA year. Stafford scored at a 40 goal pace in his UFA year.

I will say that it's nice to finally have a high end winger though. He's awesome.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I doubt it. JVR scored 36 goals last year and got 5x7 on the open market. Teams aren't going to give him Kucherov money because he had 1 outstanding season playing on Eichel's wing. Free agency can get wild, but not that wild. I'm sticking by guesstimate of 7-8M per on a 7 year deal.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Incredible post. You were singing such a different tune about Skinner before these unsubstantiated rumors. Now you're already discussing hypothetical goal scoring droughts which will drive down his price.

If Tim Murray was still GM you would no doubt be talking about what an idiot he was for even having these discussions with Skinner for that much AAV.

You see ... 47, 48, 49 goals ... he’s just not gonna be worth the money .... but when he hits the magic 50 goal mark ... watch out! Back up the Pegula money truck to Skinners house. :sarcasm:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The team not signing him and trading him for that super valuable 27th overall pick who has an outside shot at being a bottom 6 guy 5 years from now would put me completely in "Dear God please end my pain" territory.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
The Sabres can't afford a second 9+ million dollar player right now. At 8mill AAV i'm willing to risk it for someone like Skinner.

But the team financials aren't great with Berglund and Okposo on the payroll for 3/4 more years.

You have Moulson and Pominville coming off at the end of the year. So short term you can do it. But then you'll have Reinhart, Dahlin and Mittelstadt in 2/3 years. That could be a combined 20 million AAV.

8/8.5 million is as far as i'm willing to go. I've been pleasantly surprised by Skinner. I'm willing to give him Draisaitl money. But no more than that. Cap Hell will stunt this team if we overpay.

Reactions: Fearnot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Sabres can't afford a second 9+ million dollar player right now. At 8mill AAV i'm willing to risk it for someone like Skinner.

But the team financials aren't great with Berglund and Okposo on the payroll for 3/4 more years.

You have Moulson and Pominville coming off at the end of the year. So short term you can do it. But then you'll have Reinhart, Dahlin and Mittelstadt in 2/3 years. That could be a combined 20 million AAV.

8/8.5 million is as far as i'm willing to go. I've been pleasantly surprised by Skinner. I'm willing to give him Draisaitl money. But no more than that. Cap Hell will stunt this team if we overpay.
The new CBA after next season is going to have amnesty buyouts (and probably several of them per team). It is pretty much the one thing that both the owners and the players want.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
White wrote that in such a way that he will never be proven wrong. Probably smart since the last few times he referenced the source he has been way off

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He’s not getting paid 9.5 million dollars a year unless he doesn’t something out of this world like 55 goals.

Realistically he’s gonna score 35-40 and get 7.5 per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->