Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I would give Botts a ton of kudos if he could get Skinner to sign a 4 year / 38 million / 9.5 per deal with a full NMC.

Assumption is that Skinner REALLY wants to stay and the "close to home" narrative is a huge factor.

Skinner gets Stone per year money, but Buffalo gets protection from the scary back end of a long term deal.

So assume, that 7 year / 7.0 per is on the table from numerous teams, this is the Evander Kane deal, the 4 year deal here is only 11 million less in guaranteed money, and he'd have a crack at free agency at 30 to easily make up that 11 million (and likely significantly more).

Even if there is a 7 year / 8.5 deal out there... for 59.5 million. He' be leaving 21.5 million on table with 3 years to make it up. Is it realistic to expect that in 4 years, at 30 years old, he could pull down a 3 yr / 7.o per contract?

Let's do this cap genius!

So youll give botterill credit for a situation that wont happen based on what we know skinner wants....

Makes sense!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So youll give botterill credit for a situation that wont happen based on what we know skinner wants....

Makes sense!

Yes, I would give him credit for negotiating skills. You know, where skinner gets the location he wants and most of the money, and Buffalo gets some protection via term.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I still think the most likely scenario is Skinner goes to market before July 1, and loops back and signs with Buffalo when he's underwhelmed by his market value.

Unless Buffalo is willing to get into stupid money with him (aka give him the Stone deal), its stupid for him NOT to go to market at this point. See if there is a team he'd both be interested in playing for AND be willing to overpay him. He isn't going to suffer a long term injury off the ice. If Buffalo has a 8 year, 56M-60M deal on the table for him, I doubt he's going to see a better deal than that. I'd personally rather get Nyqvist on a 6 year, 36-39M deal and see if you can get Johansson on a 4 year, 16-18M deal.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I still think the most likely scenario is Skinner goes to market before July 1, and loops back and signs with Buffalo when he's underwhelmed by his market value.

Unless Buffalo is willing to get into stupid money with him (aka give him the Stone deal), its stupid for him NOT to go to market at this point. See if there is a team he'd both be interested in playing for AND be willing to overpay him. He isn't going to suffer a long term injury off the ice. If Buffalo has a 8 year, 56M-60M deal on the table for him, I doubt he's going to see a better deal than that. I'd personally rather get Nyqvist on a 6 year, 36-39M deal and see if you can get Johansson on a 4 year, 16-18M deal.
Some guy on Twitter who does this every year did a list of what they expect every UFA to end up getting and let's just say if you think we are getting Jeff at a discount you may not want to look at that.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
There's no way he's a 9 million dollar player. Not even close frankly, that's Stone money. I wouldn't pay him that. He's much closer to Evander Kane who got 7.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's closer to Stone than Kane.
Based on what? These one line quips speaking in absoluteisms don't make it true...

Career PPG
Stone .84
Skinner .67
Kane .63

Single season peak PPG
Stone 1.07
Skinner .80
Kane .75

Good defensively?
Stone Yes
Skinner No
Kane No

Reactions: k8prisoner

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Based on what? These one line quips speaking in absoluteisms don't make it true...

Career PPG
Stone .84
Skinner .67
Kane .63

Single season peak PPG
Stone 1.07
Skinner .80
Kane .75

Good defensively?
Stone Yes
Skinner No
Kane No
Goals. Specifically ES goals.

And when compared to Kane, lack of boneheaded plays on a regular basis.

Member 308457

Fantasy take from Dobberhockey.com:

Jeff Skinner (Sell): Skinner managed to hit his ceiling again this season, matching his career high of 63 points. However, the sell-high window has closed, as entering free-agency, Skinner will get a raise, and it will be almost impossible for him to find a slot next to a better centre than Eichel. There’s nowhere to go but down after this productive season. Pass.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Fantasy take from Dobberhockey.com:

Jeff Skinner (Sell): Skinner managed to hit his ceiling again this season, matching his career high of 63 points. However, the sell-high window has closed, as entering free-agency, Skinner will get a raise, and it will be almost impossible for him to find a slot next to a better centre than Eichel. There’s nowhere to go but down after this productive season. Pass.
Yeah the last thing this team needs is to sign a 30+ goal scorer.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Yeah, I don't see it happening. What incentive does Skinner have to sign before July 1?
Other than a desperate GM willing to overpay to keep his job beyond next season, I'd say none.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t know why I remain hopeful that both sides see the mutual benefit and get something done that is beneficial to both. I know that’s probably crazy talk coming from me, but my gut reaction remains that he’ll be signed and it won’t be completely terrible as a contract.

Edit: there are no metrics to back this up, no information from anyone, just a gut reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad