Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Fun fact: if you just took away 20 of Skinner's goals from this team under the (laughable) assumption the guy we plugged in his place would get 20 the team would have 201 goals, 2 more than LA and 5 more than Anaheim. But it gets better: if you did that our goal differential goes to -67 which would be the worst in the league by 7 goals.

TL,DR: If Jeff walks then next season (barring a miracle I in no way think our GM is capable of pulling off) we have an excellent shot at fighting it out with Ottawa for worst record in the entire league.

Eh. Considering a chimpanzee with a mouth full of bananas and feces in his hands could put together a better defensive system than what we’ve watched the past 6 months, I don’t think your post is particularly accurate.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
After hearing Skinner’s exit interview, I am less confident we get him signed.

Him saying that he still needs time to think about whether or not he wants to sign here seems like a red flag.

He’s been here 8+ months and he still doesn’t know if he wants to sign?

I mean, maybe it’s just letting emotions calm down after a tough season. But hearing him say that concerned me.
I think he's waiting to see who the new coach will be and get a pitch from them.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Eh. Considering a chimpanzee with a mouth full of bananas and feces in his hands could put together a better defensive system than what we’ve watched the past 6 months, I don’t think your post is particularly accurate.
That's true, but will that magically make our goalies not be complete trash who couldn't stop a beachball?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
That's true, but will that magically make our goalies not be complete trash who couldn't stop a beachball?

Hopefully the chimpanzee hires a decent goaltending coach. The duo we have are athletic enough, but they need better coaching in how to cover the posts more effectively. And having a better defensive scheme should hopefully limit the high percentage chances.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I thought there was no way Skinner would walk, he loves it here, chemistry, Pegula's Pockets - but then the team became awful - JB didn't fire Housley when he should have - and things went downhill. The fans started losing hope for the future of the Sabres - can only imagine how Skinner feels now.
and he may have been in on the phil ousting .. shooting % from 19 to 1% along with rest of team but team corsi the highest in ten years or so... hmmm,,,, but if so he stays after maximizing his dollars as eichel chuckling said... I want to play poker in this room...

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Fun fact: if you just took away 20 of Skinner's goals from this team under the (laughable) assumption the guy we plugged in his place would get 20 the team would have 201 goals, 2 more than LA and 5 more than Anaheim. But it gets better: if you did that our goal differential goes to -67 which would be the worst in the league by 7 goals.

TL,DR: If Jeff walks then next season (barring a miracle I in no way think our GM is capable of pulling off) we have an excellent shot at fighting it out with Ottawa for worst record in the entire league.

The team really helped him get the magical 40 and even said so after he mysteriously couldnt score like jack for that ugly20 games... That was an emphatic two games at the end after securing top 8 , getting back at botts and still showed they dominate bad teams (end road dubious streak) after they win the housley battle... It seems there is waaay more going on with all of this and the the coach search info / disinfo than we know... As one buff turns,,,

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Letting a 27 year old 40 goal scorer with elite skating is a mistake. Unless he wants Stone money you have to go all out. We can offer him 8 years and 64-68 mil. Even if he gets 8 per from another team will he turn down a guaranteed 10-15 mil over the life of the deal?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Letting a 27 year old 40 goal scorer with elite skating is a mistake. Unless he wants Stone money you have to go all out. We can offer him 8 years and 64-68 mil. Even if he gets 8 per from another team will he turn down a guaranteed 10-15 mil over the life of the deal?
My question to Botts is why didn't you trade him at the deadline? Could have gotten a 1st+ for him.

It is annoying to see Skinner walk when the sabres could have gotten a nice haul for him.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Do people seriously think if we offered to send him to a contender for a few months where he could actually play in the playoffs for the first time in his career he'd say "Nah I'm good."?
I definitely believe it, considering we were one of two teams he waived for and were not a contender

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I definitely believe it, considering we were one of two teams he waived for and were not a contender
That's fair but at least before the season there was some remote chance at success. At the trade deadline we were basically dead and playing out the string. I can't wrap my head around why a guy would throw away playing in meaningful games for the first time in his career by not taking a 2 month vacation after which he can go anywhere he wants.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One aspect of them not asking Skinner to waive for anyone at the deadline is tacit indication that they intend to retain his services. Yes, the idea of min-maxing the situation, of spinning him off to regain assets they used to acquire him (or likely better) and bring him back in the off-season is appealing albeit unlikely. What holding onto him does is show a level of commitment to getting a deal done and wanting him to stay.

Reactions: Buffaloed

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Skinner walks: "Botts is an incompetent moron"

Skinner signs: "Why would Botts sign him to that deal?"
If skinner walks it not because GMJB didn’t try and sign him, it’s because skinner didn’t want to stay / was over paid. But you’re right, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

My pitchfork is ready :D

Reactions: Kyndig

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Content involving an illegally posted image has been removed.

Futhermore per our forum rules, do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would give Botts a ton of kudos if he could get Skinner to sign a 4 year / 38 million / 9.5 per deal with a full NMC.

Assumption is that Skinner REALLY wants to stay and the "close to home" narrative is a huge factor.

Skinner gets Stone per year money, but Buffalo gets protection from the scary back end of a long term deal.

So assume, that 7 year / 7.0 per is on the table from numerous teams, this is the Evander Kane deal, the 4 year deal here is only 11 million less in guaranteed money, and he'd have a crack at free agency at 30 to easily make up that 11 million (and likely significantly more).

Even if there is a 7 year / 8.5 deal out there... for 59.5 million. He' be leaving 21.5 million on table with 3 years to make it up. Is it realistic to expect that in 4 years, at 30 years old, he could pull down a 3 yr / 7.o per contract?

Let's do this cap genius!

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I would give Botts a ton of kudos if he could get Skinner to sign a 4 year / 38 million / 9.5 per deal with a full NMC.

Assumption is that Skinner REALLY wants to stay and the "close to home" narrative is a huge factor.

Skinner gets Stone per year money, but Buffalo gets protection from the scary back end of a long term deal.

So assume, that 7 year / 7.0 per is on the table from numerous teams, this is the Evander Kane deal, the 4 year deal here is only 11 million less in guaranteed money, and he'd have a crack at free agency at 30 to easily make up that 11 million (and likely significantly more).

Even if there is a 7 year / 8.5 deal out there... for 59.5 million. He' be leaving 21.5 million on table with 3 years to make it up. Is it realistic to expect that in 4 years, at 30 years old, he could pull down a 3 yr / 7.o per contract?

Let's do this cap genius!
Skinner wants term.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad