Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
We just don't see it the same.

Playoff experience is why he'll leave, to go get it on a fringe team or PO regular. He's not the guy on a PO team, likely a strong support piece. He'll say the right thing and get in a better situation, Why wouldn't he? He's in a contract year, he better not quit moving or trying. 8+ Million for a 60pt guy is insane. A mediocre scorer could get 35 on Eichels wing, Not an impressive feat. You gonna pay Reinhardt that soon? He also wanted out of Carolina badly.

If he wanted to sign in Buffalo, he would have done it, bottom line. Of course he has to say the right things. What did he do that's so special and making Sabre fans so happy? I'm so confused. he didn't lead you to a PO birth, he didn't have a PPG season. He tried hard? WTF?!?

Buffalo fans deserve so much better and the standards should be higher.

Skinner waived a NMC to be traded to Buffalo. He clearly doesn't mind playing for a non-PO team. I agree, Skinner is not "the guy" on a PO team. That should be Eichel and Dahlin next season.

8 mil for a 40 goal / 60 point player is just about fair value now. Look at E. Kane and JVR last offseason. Both have less impressive careers than Skinner, and they both got 7/year. A mediocre scorer would not get 35 goals on Eichel's wing (see the last 4 seasons).

Not sure why you think a team making the playoffs or not should have a big impact on a player's salary. Do you consider McDavid and Draisaitl overpaid b/c the rest of their team sucks? If Skinner had 40 goals and PPG he'd be looking at 10+/year.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We just don't see it the same. Seems we don't. He may indeed not re-sign in BUF, but I fail to find your arguments compelling for why he - guaranteed - won't re-sign.

Playoff experience is why he'll leave, to go get it on a fringe team or PO regular. Again, if guaranteed playoffs are his highest priority, he would not have waived his NTC to come to BUF last offseason. Further, he would have requested a trade near this year's deadline to a playoff contender.

He's not the guy on a PO team, likely a strong support piece. Not sure how this matters to his choice of free agency destination.

He'll say the right thing and get in a better situation, Why wouldn't he? He's in a contract year, he better not quit moving or trying. Just like any other ~7-year pending UFA (ROR etc. two years ago, E. Kane E. Karlsson etc., last year, Stone, Panarin, Duchene, this year) his value is set by his career. Bumps or slumps aren't going to move his value dramatically relative to the inherent market.

8+ Million for a 60pt guy is insane. Not sure how this matters to his choice of free agency destination.

A mediocre scorer could get 35 on Eichels wing, Not an impressive feat. Believe me, Sabres have tried plenty of mediocre goal scorers paired with Eichel. None have approached that total, to our dismay.

You gonna pay Reinhardt that soon? Not sure how this matters to Skinner's choice of free agency destination.

He also wanted out of Carolina badly. Ahhh, that's why Skinner signed in Buffalo. Because he wanted out of Carolina and no other NHL teams were interested in paying more than an AHL/ECHL player, a 2nd this year, and a 3rd & 6th next year for 1 year of a $5.725M cap hit for a career 30-25-55 player.

If he wanted to sign in Buffalo, he would have done it, bottom line. Once a player gets past the trade deadline why should he sign an extension on NHL team, not just Buffalo? Why not test free agency? In Skinner's case, why not see if the idiot head coach is going to be let go (hint - he was)? Why not see what the other NHL clubs do with their draft, their pre-draft trades, their pre-UFA-7/1/19 trades?

Of course he has to say the right things. What did he do that's so special and making Sabre fans so happy?

I'm so confused. he didn't lead you to a PO birth, he didn't have a PPG season. He tried hard? WTF?!? I don't understand the logic. The inference is therefore any/all pending UFAs on Buffalo / all non-playoff teams who don't score PPG (or fail to achieve some other high-echelon metric for their position) should be thrown away like a used tissue in favor of "something different"?

Buffalo fans deserve so much better and the standards should be higher. Now that I agree with.
Your arguments are unclear. Are you asserting Skinner won't re-sign in Buffalo for obvious logical reasons? Because the ones you've put forth can be legitimately challenged, perhaps even debunked.

Or are you asserting Buffalo should not re-sign Skinner because he's poor value and he won't help them? If so, I'm not sure the logical inferences make sense. Once inference would be only a team with the talent capable of making the playoffs without Skinner should sign him - which doesn't necessarily correlate with their ability to sign such UFA talent. The other inference is Buffalo should not sign any "high priced" UFA until the Sabres have enough innate home-grown talent to make the playoffs, and have in fact already accomplished that goal. I think both those inferences are non-sequiturs.

Or are you asserting Buffalo should not re-sign Skinner if the deal is $8M AAV? That's perhaps the most cogent "argument" put forth, but there's a lot of specious wrapper around it.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Guessing there is a 30% chance he comes back. Being close to home and liking downtown is a nice story but reality says otherwise. Just my opinion.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Guessing there is a 30% chance he comes back. Being close to home and liking downtown is a nice story but reality says otherwise. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I think it's a coin flip re: Skinner's preferences. I think he genuinely liked playing this season in BUF. If I'm Skinner, I wait to see the playoffs, the draft, the coaching changes, etc., around the league, and decide on 7/1.

(I don't get the logic in the posts above me I'm quoting.)

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think he's more concerned with the $$ and term over anything else. Hell if he signs a 7 or 8 year deal the odds of not going through at least a couple coaches during that term is pretty remote no matter the team being successful or not.

At this point there's zero reason for him not to hit FA and see who comes calling. He can always go back to the Sabres and hit them for the 8th year.

Who knows what will happen, can still hope for something reasonable. Though in my mind I'm sliding quickly to the position of never signing anybody past year 32 or so, even though you probably could never sign any pending UFA in their mid-late 20's with that policy.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Your arguments are unclear. Are you asserting Skinner won't re-sign in Buffalo for obvious logical reasons? Because the ones you've put forth can be legitimately challenged, perhaps even debunked.

Or are you asserting Buffalo should not re-sign Skinner because he's poor value and he won't help them? If so, I'm not sure the logical inferences make sense. Once inference would be only a team with the talent capable of making the playoffs without Skinner should sign him - which doesn't necessarily correlate with their ability to sign such UFA talent. The other inference is Buffalo should not sign any "high priced" UFA until the Sabres have enough innate home-grown talent to make the playoffs, and have in fact already accomplished that goal. I think both those inferences are non-sequiturs.

Or are you asserting Buffalo should not re-sign Skinner if the deal is $8M AAV? That's perhaps the most cogent "argument" put forth, but there's a lot of specious wrapper around it.

You make it seem so complicated and it's very black and white. Guys been on loser teams for 10 years. Sabres are bad, terrible in fact. He played well, Sabres still struggled. Not the best selling point.

Why would he put himself into that position for the foreseeable future?
10-15 teams have the Cap and are in better situations. Why would he ever stay?

Carolina was well aware he was going to UFA. He got shipped to Buffalo knowing he is only going to have to endure for a year. I think that's pretty obvious. He had a contract year, played alright and will sign with a team stronger. If he liked Buffalo he would have signed long ago. Don't be fooled by his likeness towards an organization that has a rough history with exit interviews. Being classy is Good on him. When Skinner leaves and returns nothing it's just another failed attempt at trying to acquire talent that makes the organization look foolish.

You will see how much playoffs matter when he actually signs with a team on the bubble or already in PO situations yearly. Obviously if Buffalo was good he would resign. Another new coach, another regime in, don't you think he'd want a better more solid franchise with structure and leadership?

Isn't it obvious that players want to win with the organization they sign with? He finally has the ability to sign freely with a team of his choosing. I'm sure he'll pick one he thinks can win soon.

I think you value Skinner a lot higher than his talent. He's no where close to Panarin, Duchene or Stone. Those guys play on both sides of the puck and have way better stats in almost every category other than goal scoring and even there it's close. Not worth the money.

I'm saying, quite obviously that Skinner isn't worth 8+ and will not sign with Buffalo, and I believe that's a good thing. Sabres have been very efficient at overpaying FA's or going after the wrong ones.

I've lived in Buffalo for 16 years and hate the laughing stock that the Sabres have become. The only way out I see is building through the draft and asking a very annoyed fan base to be patient again. With another coach, with another couple bottom 10 seasons.

No quick fix for this club. No one wants to be Botts. Every decision he makes will be met with skepticism.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We just don't see it the same.

Playoff experience is why he'll leave, to go get it on a fringe team or PO regular. He's not the guy on a PO team, likely a strong support piece. He'll say the right thing and get in a better situation, Why wouldn't he? He's in a contract year, he better not quit moving or trying. 8+ Million for a 60pt guy is insane. A mediocre scorer could get 35 on Eichels wing, Not an impressive feat. You gonna pay Reinhardt that soon? He also wanted out of Carolina badly.

If he wanted to sign in Buffalo, he would have done it, bottom line. Of course he has to say the right things. What did he do that's so special and making Sabre fans so happy? I'm so confused. he didn't lead you to a PO birth, he didn't have a PPG season. He tried hard? WTF?!?

Buffalo fans deserve so much better and the standards should be higher.

I'm not saying he won't go to UFA and sign elsewhere, but some of your comments supporting that are off.

1) Skinner CHOSE to come to Buffalo when Carolina was trading him. IT was one of 2 places he reportedly waived his NMC for. Granted it was with knowledge that it was for 1 year, but he could have gone to other playoff teams if he chose to waive his NMC for them, but he didn't. He waived it for Buffalo.
2) Skinner didn't want out of Carolina, the Canes were the ones that wanted to move him. That was very clear and it was documented in a number of places. Everybody knows that.
3) Before coming to Buffalo, Jeff Skinner averaged 30G / 82 games and had a 37G season just 2 years ago. Saying his 40G is because of Eichel is ignoring what he's done over his career. Has he been inconsistent in certain years? Yes, but he still is a 30G scorer with or without Eichel.

Your argument that, after 10 years, he wants to be on a playoff team is reasonable and could be a reason he goes elsewhere (if he does).

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I think he's waiting to see offers in free agency to raise his price. If the Sabres were offering the money and term he wanted I think he would've signed here by now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think he's waiting to see offers in free agency to raise his price. If the Sabres were offering the money and term he wanted I think he would've signed here by now.

I think the team's slide gave his agent and himself 2nd thoughts, or at least gave them a reason to see what their value is on the market.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Said this before and I'll say it again: if Skinner walks then a minute later Botts needs to do the honorable thing and resign. If he doesn't then Pegula needs to show him the door. After what happened last year any GM stupid enough to let it happen to their team should be fired instantly for gross negligence.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Said this before and I'll say it again: if Skinner walks then a minute later Botts needs to do the honorable thing and resign. If he doesn't then Pegula needs to show him the door. After what happened last year any GM stupid enough to let it happen to their team should be fired instantly for gross negligence.
To what are you referring re: the bolded?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
What if Skinner walks?
Didn't they even try to ship him at the TDL because they thought he is 100% resigning?
Its hard to believe he wouldn't have waived his NTC to play for a contender.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What if Skinner walks?
Didn't they even try to ship him at the TDL because they thought he is 100% resigning?
Its hard to believe he wouldn't have waived his NTC to play for a contender.
Not very hard to believe at all. Since he only did exactly that a few months prior.
I think Botterill had deluded himself into thinking that we were still in the thick of things during the TDL. Of course, the wheels completely fell off the bus in March and not even he could pretend otherwise. By then it was too little too late.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
I thought there was no way Skinner would walk, he loves it here, chemistry, Pegula's Pockets - but then the team became awful - JB didn't fire Housley when he should have - and things went downhill. The fans started losing hope for the future of the Sabres - can only imagine how Skinner feels now.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
After hearing Skinner’s exit interview, I am less confident we get him signed.

Him saying that he still needs time to think about whether or not he wants to sign here seems like a red flag.

He’s been here 8+ months and he still doesn’t know if he wants to sign?

I mean, maybe it’s just letting emotions calm down after a tough season. But hearing him say that concerned me.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
After hearing Skinner’s exit interview, I am less confident we get him signed.

Him saying that he still needs time to think about whether or not he wants to sign here seems like a red flag.

He’s been here 8+ months and he still doesn’t know if he wants to sign?

I mean, maybe it’s just letting emotions calm down after a tough season. But hearing him say that concerned me.

Cmon Captain Jack, you're stuck here for 7 more years, you need to kidnap Jeff and make him sign!

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Cmon Captain Jack, you're stuck here for 7 more years, you need to kidnap Jeff and make him sign!
New nicknames coming soon? Jack as Papilon and Skinner as Dega?

Papillon_ver1.jpg

Reactions: k8prisoner

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Buffalo cannot be held hostage. If he wants another million or more each year for 8 years so he can work for free a couple more months farther away from his family he has the right to go for it. Think William Nylander.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Fun fact: if you just took away 20 of Skinner's goals from this team under the (laughable) assumption the guy we plugged in his place would get 20 the team would have 201 goals, 2 more than LA and 5 more than Anaheim. But it gets better: if you did that our goal differential goes to -67 which would be the worst in the league by 7 goals.

TL,DR: If Jeff walks then next season (barring a miracle I in no way think our GM is capable of pulling off) we have an excellent shot at fighting it out with Ottawa for worst record in the entire league.

Reactions: MagnumForce2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad