Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It’s the kind of condition you slip in to a trade when you know the guy you’re dealing with is a moron... and the guys in Pittsburgh would know.

From the small details in the Sheary trade and the 6th rounder draft day debacle all the way up to the ROR trade... Botts has proven to be a spectacular fool.

Literally the only really good trade he’s made as GM required the acquired player to have a 2 team trade list.... and it appears he’s on his way to ****ing that up too.

Calling him incompetent is not hyperbole, it’s fact
It's good to have you back. I'm tired of writing this shit out. Now all I have to do is hit like.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Did anyone else catch the comment about Skinner at $6.5 million being mentioned on Sportsnet? Haven't found the clip yet but it was something mentioned in the PHam clip on the GR afternoon show after 6:00 p.m..
On hockey central? That's impossible, they only talk about the Leafs :)

Hockey Central @ Noon - Sportsnet.ca

By the way, I couldn't find where they said this, but maybe someone else will find it.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Expecting a short term, high cap hit, contract. something like 3-4 years @ $8.5-$9 million per year cap hit.

Doubtful we'll see that.

He'd be leaving potentially millions on the table.

Let's compare a 7 year, 49M deal vs a 4 year, 34M deal

If we're assume a "standard" salary structure for both (i.e. straight salary, not significant amount in signing bonuses)

The first obvious issue is the 2020 lockout issue. Now, I'm assuming there will be some structural ways to protect from that on both (minimize salary/maximize signing bonus during that year). However, there might be some serious structural changes to how contracts work (basically stopping the 8M SB/ 1M salary style deals) which could cost skinner some long term cash. There is also the potential of the compliance buyout, which have been a boon to the players who have gotten them. Under a longer term deal, Skinner could play 4 years, get the final 3 years CBO'd, then sign at a lower rate someplace else.

It's almost always best for the player to take the most guaranteed total $$ on paper, irregardless of term. Taking a shorter term, higher pay deal could yield more, but is more likely to yield less $ overall as its doubtful he'll another long term deal at the age of 31 or higher.

Reactions: PirateShip

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The context was it was Hamilton in his 6:00 p.m. segment on GR - he had no attribution other than saying it was something he'd seen on Sportsnet. I was wondering if there was any corroboration.

I'm not finding anything on Twitter....

I think there was some talking head that mentioned that number a while ago and the general reaction around here was "sign me up for that!".

My guess is that is more the Sabres offer than what Skinner is looking for. I would think that if all it took was $6.5M per to re-sign Skinner, the deal would have been done already.

I did find this....

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've said this a few times: I think Skinner is going to be underwhelmed by his market value. I think the most likely scenario is he goes to market and gets the Evander Kane deal. Not sure if that is with us or elsewhere

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I've said this a few times: I think Skinner is going to be underwhelmed by his market value. I think the most likely scenario is he goes to market and gets the Evander Kane deal. Not sure if that is with us or elsewhere

Why would he be underwhelmed?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm having a hard time determining which part of this is more wrong.
Please feel free to point out all of what is wrong in that statement. I don't mind. Start with Skinner's 2 goals in 20 games on go from there. I am interested in a good laugh.

Skinner didn't give up he just had bad "puck luck" :laugh:

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Skinner shot 19% for dozens of games, and was at something like 1% during the cold streak.

We're going to get a similar Skinner going forward, but those extremes won't be as large. So while he likely won't play half the season like a 55 goal scorer, he won't play the other half like a 10 goal scorer either. This season was just a season of extremes, unlikely to be repeated exactly the same way, even if results were similar.

I counted about 5 goalposts/crossbars and countless close bounces/excellent saves off of Skinner shots during the streak. He really was the same player - in fact, I'd argue he's the player whose play changed the least as our season tanked. He just kept right on playing. He's a competitor. People just don't like the nature of players whose by-far-best-asset is goal scoring. That won't ever change, just like the streaky nature of these players won't ever change.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Please feel free to point out all of what is wrong in that statement. I don't mind. Start with Skinner's 2 goals in 20 games on go from there. I am interested in a good laugh.

Skinner didn't give up he just had bad "puck luck" :laugh:
Skinner May have lost velocity on shot after ...

Not much different than jack “giving up” after his concussion ubi and his going from the best (near) in the league to being unable to score much for 7? 10? ,

Not that they didn’t make a group effort to hit the goalie in the numbers after the playoffs went bye bye.. We may never know if this is purposeful especially if Skinner signs.. Which will truly be a tell if this group gets along..

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
IMO I think he really wants to be here. They just need to find out the right number that works for both sides.

That is my feeling and I hope the rumors are a players against Jason scenario which benefits Skinner and started w Berglund? Or not replacing him for playoffs and hanging them out there by sticking to the next year plan .. Results in driving STH away with no goal revue .. They certainly knew how to play the last two .. They might get somebody fired with the group dissent .. Tune in Tomorrow same bap channel and bap time ..Or Not , and I’m wrong and insane by being abused and teased by this team.. Jeezus chrith Im thso ffragile now..

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Skinner tests free agency then bye bye. The whole point of waiving his trade clause was to be close to home.

If Skinner walks Botts needs to be fired instantly. The only thing partially redeeming the RoR trade and epic collapse was acquiring a high end goal scorer for peanuts. If he walks it should be the end of Botterill here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad