Player Discussion Jeff Skinner -- Part 3 -- Closing in on a deal (per McKenzie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Whatever it takes to keep him. We have 2 options:

1) Overpay him by $1.5 million a year (enough to pay for a 4th liner) so the team at least has a prayer of being competitive.

Or

2) Let him walk and watch this team get it's head kicked in on a nightly basis for the next 2 seasons with guys like Olofson, Mitts and Tage being thrown into positions where they are being counted on that they are in no way ready for and totaling their careers before they even begin.

"Whatever it takes to keep him?" So... 12 x 8?

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The roster, as is right now, isn’t a Jeff skinner away from being a playoff team. Sure he could be part of the solution but he isn’t THE solution.

If skinner walks we are still going to spend that money. I still will argue 2 20-25 goal scorers added at 9M total will do more good than one 35 goal scorer at 9M.
Have Botterill brain is not enough to lure in good players, he would simply say that we have such great players like Conor Sheary and he will be able to replace Skinner, and of course will Pominville are resigning.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If Skinner’s ask is over $9M per year on an 8 year deal, I am perfectly fine with letting him start talking to other teams on the 23rd or 24th.

He is not worth $9.5M a year. That’s almost what we gave Eichel to be our long term franchise #1C (a guy I think many of us can see being a top 10 player at some point during his deal).

I love Skinner, but he’s not worth $76M and I feel pretty confident saying that there is zero chance he gets that in UFA.

If the only way he’s willing to stay is for a big overpayment, then he doesn’t really want to be here.

Last edited:

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
How much we thinking Panarin will sign for? 10-12? Skinner should be a step down from that, for sure. But a considerable step up from what Evander got. I'm happy anywhere in that range - for what Jeff brings to the team, our needs, and the apparent chemistry.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I've had the belief he was going to test the market to see what his value is. I still believe that, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's gone, and I think even if he was presented with a slightly better offer, he could still re-sign here. It's not over until he puts his name on a contract, wherever that may be.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
This is getting ridiculous.

Personally, I want us to keep Skinny. I'd go as high as 9.5.

But if Botts is only willing to offer him 9 (which I totally get. It's absolutely fair), and the dude is just holding out to go to market because he thinks he can get more, then let him go.

It's like dating. You shouldn't want to be with anyone who doesn't want to be with you too.

Use that money to lock up Dahlin, go get Duchene/Panarin, offer sheet Marner/Point... whatever.

They won't dance? Find a new partner.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
I wonder if there's any chance JB's been looking at Panarin or Duchenne though. Or even an offer sheet. There's some pretty nice goal scorers out there

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

200w.webp

Reactions: TheCerebral1

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
This is pointless "gotcha" arguing because in reality it's obvious that 9-9.5m is "whatever it takes".

Only using your own words.

I do find it interesting that you think it smart for Botterill to overpay for a player (Skinner isn't worth 9-9.5 for 8 years) because you don't think he's a good enough GM to make smart moves with the same money if he didn't resign Skinner. In other words, you're wanting him to make a dumb move, because you don't think he can make smart moves.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Panarin will definitely not want to play at Buffalo, no matter how I want it, it’s not only he who decides. Duchene is also likely, given that he is now the best center on the market. Plus, your forget who we have GM.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Based off of what Dreger said today -

Rumors all along were that Skinner was asking for above $9M.

That’s what his rumored price tag was when he was red hot the first half of the year. If that’s still where his ask is, has he even moved off his initial offer? Maybe a couple hundred k at best?

even after that 2nd half of the season he had?

If he is unwilling to budge off an ask that seems above his market value (from every analysis I’ve seen, anyway) then does he really want to be here?

Doesn’t seem like a very good way to negotiate with a team if he does. Sounds like buffalo has come up from their initial offer, though.

(this is all assuming Dreger’s info is correct, though).

I really want skinner back, but he’s not a “keep at all costs” guy for me. $9M is as high as I go, and really, I’m not even fully comfortable at $9M. I was originally hoping for something in the $7’s, but I know that is unrealistic, so now I’m hoping for something in the $8.5M range. That may be a bit more than his true value, but I think it would be a pretty fair compromise.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Only using your own words.

I do find it interesting that you think it smart for Botterill to overpay for a player (Skinner isn't worth 9-9.5 for 8 years) because you don't think he's a good enough GM to make smart moves with the same money if he didn't resign Skinner. In other words, you're wanting him to make a dumb move, because you don't think he can make smart moves.
If you think overpaying an all star by the cost of a mediocre 4th liner is stupid than I just don't know what to tell you.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just don't understand if Skinner doesn't want to stay in Buffalo, so why not just say it and go to UFA.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Who are you getting, and name names. The only way we even end up with ONE 20-25 goal scorer is if we offer a massive overpay because there are literally 30 better options for NHL players to choose than us. So we will use most of that and end up with a far inferior player.

Names, please.

And it's hilarious we still expect Botterill to make any quality signings at all because he has such a good track record of it...

So, for fun, there were 49 forwards last . year that scored between 20-25 goals. There were 82 forwards that scored between 20-30 goals.

So, into the summer, we have 2 options to acquire such forwards, trade and UFA.

Now, I'm going to exclude centers here, as, we need a center with or without signing Jeff Skinner. I'm also going to exclude some obvious names like Justin Williams, Panarin, etc. I'm also exluding Chiasson as it seems like his production isn't repeatable. I'm including Johansson and Simmonds as they have been historical 20+ goal scorers even if they didn't score 20 goals last year.

Lee
Dzingel
Nyqvist
Connolly
Eberle
Johansson
Simmonds

Now, the other option is trade.

JT Miller from Tampa has no NMC, and likely can be got for simply a pick or less if we take on a contract like Callahan (which we can buyout immediately)
Kapanen and Johnsson are potential offersheet targets.

And I'm sure there's more than double the list i had out there and available who can satisfy a pretty easy requirement (able to score 20-25 goals)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I just don't understand if Skinner doesn't want to stay in Buffalo, so why not just say it and go to UFA.

Because, he doesn't know what his market is yet. He could get to the 23rd and only have teams that he isn't interested lining up. Skinner might have one or two teams in his mind, if they are interested, he's listening. If not, he'd like to come back to Buffalo.

There are only 31 NHL teams, you shouldn't burn any bridges till you are sure you don't need them.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So, for fun, there were 49 forwards last . year that scored between 20-25 goals. There were 82 forwards that scored between 20-30 goals.

Now, I'm going to exclude centers here, as, we need a center with or without signing Jeff Skinner. I'm also going to exclude some obvious names like Justin Williams, Panarin, etc. I'm also exluding Chiasson as it seems like his production isn't repeatable. I'm including Johansson and Simmonds as they have been historical 20+ goal scorers even if they didn't score 20 goals last year.

Lee
Dzingel
Nyqvist
Connolly
Eberle
Johansson
Simmonds

JT Miller from Tampa has no NMC, and likely can be got for simply a pick or less if we take on a contract like Callahan (which we can buyout immediately)

And I'm sure there's more than double the list i had out there and available who can satisfy a pretty easy requirement (able to score 20-25 goals)
It all looks right, but I don't believe our GM, that's why I have such skepticism. :skeptic:

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Lee
Dzingel
Nyqvist
Connolly
Eberle
Johansson
Simmonds

And none of those UFA's are signing here unless they get a crazy overpay. Do you think either Lee or Eberle would leave the wonderful situation they are both in to come to a laughingstock like us unless they got an insane amount of money? And I'll believe an NHL team will use an offer sheet in this day and age when I see it.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
And none of those UFA's are signing here unless they get a crazy overpay. Do you think either Lee or Eberle would leave the wonderful situation they are both in to come to a laughingstock like us unless they got an insane amount of money? And I'll believe an NHL team will use an offer sheet in this day and age when I see it.
Who ever thought anyone in the history of forever would refer to playing for the New York Islanders as a wonderful situation?

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Who ever thought anyone in the history of forever would refer to playing for the New York Islanders as a wonderful situation?
It's amazing what replacing idiots with competent professionals can accomplish, we should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad