Player Discussion Jeff Skinner -- Part 3 -- Closing in on a deal (per McKenzie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
My sources dispute this.

He will remain in Skinners box, forever in a state of being simultaneously signed and unsigned.
A signing which, when observed, will surely bring both reward and punishment. Eventually, the fans will learn... something?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This honestly feels like Skinner has a "Keep me from the market price" rather than "This is what I'd sign for price"

With the 8th year available to Buffalo, there's zero reason not to let him see what's out there and come back. Let him see what his ACTUAL market is, beat any 7 year deal by 3-4M total over 8 years if you have to get it done.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This honestly feels like Skinner has a "Keep me from the market price" rather than "This is what I'd sign for price"

With the 8th year available to Buffalo, there's zero reason not to let him see what's out there and come back. Let him see what his ACTUAL market is, beat any 7 year deal by 3-4M total over 8 years if you have to get it done.

Hypothetically:

Sabres 8x8.75m = $70m (or really $8m after state taxes and $64m)
Florida (7x9.5m) + tax break (7x800K)= $65m

If my math is correct, they are the same deal, but if Panarin doesn't work out, Skinner becomes very appealing. People say he wants to stay close to TOR, but Sunny Florida and arguably one of the best coaches in the league would at least be worth waiting to hear offers until Jun 23.

I am kind of sticking with my opinion that the window was last weekend. Let's all hope we are reading Botterill and Krueger's comments (and giddiness) correctly, or that Skinner isn't pulling the mother of all snow jobs on them so as not to be the bad guy.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hypothetically:

Sabres 8x8.75m = $70m (or really $8m after state taxes and $64m)
Florida (7x9.5m) + tax break (7x800K)= $65m

If my math is correct, they are the same deal, but if Panarin doesn't work out, Skinner becomes very appealing. People say he wants to stay close to TOR, but Sunny Florida and arguably one of the best coaches in the league would at least be worth waiting to hear offers until Jun 23.

I am kind of sticking with my opinion that the window was last weekend. Let's all hope we are reading Botterill and Krueger's comments (and giddiness) correctly, or that Skinner isn't pulling the mother of all snow jobs on them so as not to be the bad guy.

I'm curious if Skinner has a certain non Buffalo scenario in mind he's hoping for. FLA makes some sense. Maybe he's hoping some desperate team like Vancouver breaks open the vault.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes, a lot of teams who need a Skinner and they can offer him a very good salary.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
It’s been pretty interesting how there hasn’t been any word on that skinner is going to FA. EK decided pretty fast after their season was done, to let everyone know what his intentions are.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm curious if Skinner has a certain non Buffalo scenario in mind he's hoping for. FLA makes some sense. Maybe he's hoping some desperate team like Vancouver breaks open the vault.
BC has a marginal tax rate of 49% for that income level. If he's comparing total value, you have to wonder why in the world an UFA would sign in a Canadian city. Either they are good citizens and think it's important, or else NHL players have some sort of crazy tax shelters.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
BC has a marginal tax rate of 49% for that income level. If he's comparing total value, you have to wonder why in the world an UFA would sign in a Canadian city. Either they are good citizens and think it's important, or else NHL players have some sort of crazy tax shelters.
There's a reason why guys like Messier lived just over the border in Washington State while playing for the Canucks.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
back on Skinny. I'm actually fine with calling his bluff at say 8.5-8.75. If he finds more and doesn't ind being farther from home so be it. We have more room and can go after someone else, even if it's next off-season.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
The truth is, Carolina shipped him out because they didn't want to deal with his agent

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
back on Skinny. I'm actually fine with calling his bluff at say 8.5-8.75. If he finds more and doesn't ind being farther from home so be it. We have more room and can go after someone else, even if it's next off-season.
None of the players available that are even near that level would even take our calls. We would end up paying stupid money for a mediocre guy who ends up Vile Leino V2.0.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
None of the players available that are even near that level would even take our calls. We would end up paying stupid money for a mediocre guy who ends up Vile Leino V2.0.

To be fair, it would be more like Leino v 6.0 at this point. Depending on how loosely you want to define “multiyear overpay for underwhelming player” it could be closer to v 15.0

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Canada blends federal and provincial income taxes. Skinner's tax rate in New York state is 47.55%, pretty much equal. Canadians get 'free' medical care. NY and California are nightmares.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Canada blends federal and provincial income taxes. Skinner's tax rate in New York state is 47.55%, pretty much equal. Canadians get 'free' medical care. NY and California are nightmares.

I doubt any players (other than perhaps ones who are too stupid to hire financial help) pay anywhere even close to that. I'm also pretty sure NHL players aren't relying on state-provided health insurance or health care.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Will people stop acting like 7 year totals and 8 year totals are the the same thing. Ignoring an entire year of possible contract, AT ANY AGE BEFORE RETIRING, is being blind.
That is true if and only if Skinner believes this is his last contract.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Will people stop acting like 7 year totals and 8 year totals are the the same thing. Ignoring an entire year of possible contract, AT ANY AGE BEFORE RETIRING, is being blind.

In Skinner's 8th year of contract, that would be his 17th year in the NHL.

He has a better chance of not even playing the 7th year of that contract than getting any type of contract in the 8th. An 8th year will literally be free money for him.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
August 16, 2019
Jason Botterill: Talks with Jeff Skinner remain productive. It's a situation where both sides are respectful. We remain confident in the process.
Reporter: Skinner signed with the Islanders 6 weeks ago
Botterill: Oh

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Botterill's gonna get babcocked and left holding the bag if he doesn't develop a sense of urgency. Come June 23rd when the free agency interview period opens, Skinner's agent will be shopping the Sabres offer. Botterill needs to make his best offer and set a deadline before June 23rd. If Skinner doesn't sign it comes off the table. I think Botterill is so confident Skinner will sign that the B in his Plan B stands for something like Bylsma.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad