Player Discussion Jeff Skinner -- Part 3 -- Closing in on a deal (per McKenzie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So is it good for skinner or not?

Short take-away: Yes, those charts make Skinner look good. What specifically those charts confirm is: Skinner is an elite goal-scorer and a very high-end driver of offense at ES.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
All those newfangled metrics only to tell us what Canes fans have been saying all along even before he got here. :D
Seriously though, it's the reason why I wanna see him get a look centered by Reinhart with maybe Mitts on the other wing.
I expected him to be worse than he was outside of the offensive zone. He wasn't good but he wasn't terrible I thought.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It’s really weird for someone’s entire anti-Skinner contract argument to be based on the belief that other GMs won’t give out ridiculous money in free agency... meanwhile, Tyler Bozak got 5 million per, at 32 years old....

Reactions: Dingo44

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Jamie benn got 9.5 for 40 goals at age 26, although i'm not sure it looks great now

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Teams will be lining up for Skinner if we let him (or he chooses to) get to FA. I have little doubt he would get 8x9 on the market. I hope we can get him for less, but do what you have to do to sign him.

Continued from Player Discussion - Jeff Skinner - Part II
The market cannot offer an 8x9 only we can before his contract is up. If you are saying he can get 72 million guaranteed that would be 7x10.3 in Free agency and then I'm not so sure.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
The market cannot offer an 8x9 only we can before his contract is up. If you are saying he can get 72 million guaranteed that would be 7x10.3 in Free agency and then I'm not so sure.
Isn't his contract up at the same time he hits free agency? Are you saying that once he hits free agency, there are limits to what other teams can offer him? I've never heard of that before, but that's not to say you're wrong. I'm no CBA wizard.

Reactions: Hellinator

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Isn't his contract up at the same time he hits free agency? Are you saying that once he hits free agency, there are limits to what other teams can offer him? I've never heard of that before, but that's not to say you're wrong. I'm no CBA wizard.

How Does the NHL's Free Agent System Function?
Seven-Year Maximum (last updated in 2013)—A term limit of seven years is set for contracts signed by unrestricted free agents.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Yeah, I just looked it up. I didn't realize there was such a limit on UFAs. Well, that should be a benefit for us to be able to sign him at a lower cap hit than he could get in UFA.
And thats why some of us are saying 8x9 right now is absurd. No f***ing way a team gives him more than 9.5 per on the max limit 7 year term. Id argue that no team would even go to 9.5 and the realistic limit from other teams is 9x7. 9x7=63. He's supposed to like Buffalo, doesnt want to move, etc, etc. Offer him frontloaded 8x8 or 10x6 now and stand firm and let him make the decision if he should wait for July 1st or not. If he hits UFA, he still likes it here, he likely overall still wants to stay here and you could match an eventual 9x7, even 9.5x7 from other trams. Id still take 9.5x7 rather than 9x8 for Skinner from franchise future perspective but I doubt we have to do even that. 9x7 is the worst I think we will have to match moneywise on July 1s. As I said hes ho Panarin or Marner, its very unlikely any GM would value him on more than 9 mil on max UFA term that gets him to 34 years old when he hasnt hit 70 points or played a playoff game in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellinator

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'm taking the cautious approach when it comes to Super Secret Sabres Sources. I'll relax when he signs on the dotted line. Or if.

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
I think I would go with an 8X8 with a bonus structure of 40 goals or 70 pts for 8.5 in any season and maybe 9.5 for 50+ goals or 80+ points in any season with a nmc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad