Player Discussion Jeff Skinner -- Part 3 -- Closing in on a deal (per McKenzie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I hate the price tag but it had to be done. If he’s making that much might as well give him a letter (probably deserves one anyways) and make damn sure he know that if he wants to win he better be producing and leading this team.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
HAD to be done, I will never fault Botterill for it same as I don't fault Tim for the Okposo signing. Context.

Why do you compare the two like that? It might be easy for me to say right now while Skinny is still 27 years old, but I never liked the Okposo signing. Byproduct of Tavares, similar to Moulson. Two of the crappiest contracts given out.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Why do you compare the two like that? It might be easy for me to say right now while Skinny is still 27 years old, but I never liked the Okposo signing. Byproduct of Tavares, similar to Moulson. Two of the crappiest contracts given out.

It was a reasonable signing at the time, we were coming off a good season where we improved by 27 points. Adding a UFA veteran top 6 forward made sense. Edmonton signed Lucic, Vancouver signed Eriksson, Islanders signed Ladd to similar deals.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I hate the price tag but it had to be done. If he’s making that much might as well give him a letter (probably deserves one anyways) and make damn sure he know that if he wants to win he better be producing and leading this team.
It would put a serious dent in Krueger's efforts to improve the culture and restore confidence if they lost him.

Reactions: Goathead

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This is the cost of Botts being terrible the last 2 years... Skinner has to be kept at all costs

Disagree. Paying a player barely in the top 100 of nhlers like a top 10 nhler is how bad teams stay bad. We will see what the final details are like but this feels like Bobby Ryan 2.0

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Disagree. Paying a player barely in the top 100 of nhlers like a top 10 nhler is how bad teams stay bad. We will see what the final details are like but this feels like Bobby Ryan 2.0

Your way of thinking was retired years ago... you’ve been given ample opportunity to catch up.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Glad that it looks like a deal will get done! Excited to have skinner here for 8 more years.

$9M is the very highest I wanted to see the Sabres go. Still hoping it falls just under $9M, but whatever.

We are nowhere near being in cap trouble, and even if we were there are a lot of players that should go before Skinner. Plenty of dead weight to clear out if and when the cap becomes an issue.

Glad to see the Sabres keeping their best goal scorer.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
It's gonna be hard to live up to such a pretty penny, but dammit we need something to work out well. The fear of a Minny-like ceiling because of the (not that bad) Parise/Suter deals is justified.

I still wanted to see what suitors he'd get, oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->