Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's been 3 games. He is known to disappear for long stretches, and he isn't overly physical. So if he isn't putting up points, he can be really ineffective out there. Maybe this is the year it all changes.

Guess I was correct, he goes on these MIA stretches...

Wouldn't say he disappears. Going unnoticed as a dman is not always a bad thing.

Not on this blueline. If you are not scoring, at least be responsible in your own end and clear the fricken net.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's weird...Petry really is kind of the glue for the defense.

When he's at the top of his game, it seems everyone else is. When he struggles, everyone looks out of whack.

He hasn't played his best hockey in recent games and it shows throughout our defense IMO.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Great start for Petry this year. Pointwise, his best year was in 2011-2012 73g 2g 23a 25pts. Do you guys believe that Petry will reach 30+ points this year with 2nd wave PP time?

To me, Petry worth way more than a 2nd and 5th. Probably close to a 1st and a 4th. We got extremely lucky to have him at that cost.

Last edited:

member 256847

When he's at the top of his game, it seems everyone else is. When he struggles, everyone looks out of whack.

He hasn't played his best hockey in recent games and it shows throughout our defense IMO.

I think it's the other way around. He's never been the one to set the pace.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Great start for Petry this year. Pointwise, his best year was in 2011-2012 73g 2g 23a 25pts. Do you guys believe that Petry will reach 30+ points this year with 2nd wave PP time?

To me, Petry worth way more than a 2nd and 5th. Probably close to a 1st and a 4th. We got extremely to have him at that cost.

Petry has been a leader on defence for every team he's played during his career, yes we were extremely lucky in that trade for him.(A steal IMHO, he's just coming into his best years, this season he's been solid for the Habs.):nod::nod::nod:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

I think it's more like when he's good, he's really good.
When he's bad, he's really bad.

He had a huge negative impact on the columbus game and the last sens game.

Weber-Emelin has yet to have a bad game.
If Petry has a bad game, it's obviously going to affect his partner, Markov.
Our last pairing usually has a bad game every 3-4 games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was looking at his numbers after the wings game, if you take out that nightmare game against the jackets where he was a -4, he has only been a minus player in 3 games (-1,-1,-2) and was a +9 outside of that one terrible night the team had. The problem is the offense has dropped off a cliff. He had a crazy start to the year with 6 pts in 7 games but since has just 3 pts in 15 games. Granted he's never been a big offensive kind of player, last year he was on pace for 25 pts which would have tied his career high. This year he's still on pace for 33 pts but hopefully he can find a way to produce a little more consistently. I think he's an underrated player for us though and a solid top 3 blueliner in the NHL.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I was looking at his numbers after the wings game, if you take out that nightmare game against the jackets where he was a -4, he has only been a minus player in 3 games (-1,-1,-2) and was a +9 outside of that one terrible night the team had. The problem is the offense has dropped off a cliff. He had a crazy start to the year with 6 pts in 7 games but since has just 3 pts in 15 games. Granted he's never been a big offensive kind of player, last year he was on pace for 25 pts which would have tied his career high. This year he's still on pace for 33 pts but hopefully he can find a way to produce a little more consistently. I think he's an underrated player for us though and a solid top 3 blueliner in the NHL.

Even though his offensive numbers have slowed down, having a partner like him has allowed Markov to play more offensively and we've seen Markov put up a lot of points at even strength as a result.

He helps make his partners play a lot better, which is awesome on the second pairing and something we've lacked since Hamrlik wasn't re-signed. Totally agree that he's underrated, our D was a disaster last year once he got injured in December after it looked great the first two months of the year.

David25

Nov 22, 2016
Is Jeff Petry really this good?

Do you guys think Jeff petry's steak and the way he's playing will die down soon?

4 goals in his last 5 games. 3 points tonight

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No, 4 goals in 5 games and 3 points in 1 game is a fluke.

He's a great player though.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I don't know but his point production this season has been a welcome surprise. Almost tied with Man Mountain...:handclap:

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Do you guys think Jeff petry's steak and the way he's playing will die down soon?

Having seen petry as a hab, its hard to believe that the oilers didn't get better production out of him.

He has the makeup of a 30-35 point dman if he can avoid major injuries IMO.

BintZ

Nov 4, 2007
Amsterdam
He has already matched his point totals from last season in 20 less games.

And he's matched his career high of 7 goals in 80 games with the Oilers in 2013-14. He's playing with so much confidence right now and is making lots of good decisions with and without the puck. I would've assumed he'd have a worse game without Markov but he had one of his best!

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I find him to be just as inconsistent in his own end. When he's on his game, he looks like a #1 defenseman, when he's off, he looks like a #7. I guess it all works out to him looking like a solid #2-3 guy when all is said and done.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

His advanced stats suggest that his play is sustainable. Among guys who get top 2/3 minutes Petry is #4 in CF%, #9 in FF%.. and all that while getting sub 50% o-zone starts (48.5% to be exact, most of the guys above him are close to 60% o-zone starts).

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/play...&loc=B&toi=500

On top of that he's sporting a 5.2% CFRel and 4.4% FFRel. So yea most likely sustainable play (not to the extent of 4 goals in 5 games of course.. but i expect him to chip in offensively).

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...nced-5on5.html

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

To me, Petry worth way more than a 2nd and 5th. Probably close to a 1st and a 4th. We got extremely lucky to have him at that cost.

And then the Oil traded Hall to get a guy who's not as good as Petry IMO

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
And then the Oil traded Hall to get a guy who's not as good as Petry IMO

Hardly comparable players at all. Larsson is a legit #2. Can play against anyone. Petry is a disaster playing against the leagues best consistently.

Not to take away from how hes been lately. He's been a poor man's Subban the past few games.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Hardly comparable players at all. Larsson is a legit #2. Can play against anyone. Petry is a disaster playing against the leagues best consistently.

Not to take away from how hes been lately. He's been a poor man's Subban the past few games.
I'm not sure we are watching the same games. Petry is a solid #3 and Larsson offer little more other than the hype to have been drafted top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad