Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Hard to believe that Edmonton gave up this guy; he would fit in perfectly there right now.

Different management groups aside, the Oilers effectively traded Petry for a 2nd; they then turn around a season and a half later and trade Hall for Larsson, who is debatably not even as good as Petry. It's pretty astounding mismanagement. Throw in the Yakupov trade and they traded two 1st overall picks for Larsson, an ECHL player, a 2nd rounder, and two conditional picks.

I know we hate our management team but think about that for a second...

Last edited:

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
Hard to believe that Edmonton gave up this guy; he would fit in perfectly there right now.

As a 2nd round pick he developed in NCAA then came out Spring of Jr year (btw, he has his college degree by taking his remaining courses online) (28 credits in 2 years WHILE HE WAS PLAYING IN EDMONTON).

The Oilers called him up in December of his first full year (he had about 20 or so, AHL games under his belt). The talk was that he was going to pair with Ryan Whitney and get protected/limited minutes. Whitney's foot was shot and he was done. Then Jeff was thrown out there to sink or swim. Ladi Smid became Jeff's D partner and showed him the ropes. They were a fairly decent pairing as Oiler pairings went. At one point they were 11th best shutdown pair in the league. So of course the Oil f'd that all up.. traded Ladi and there must have been 20 D guys come through there that are now selling cars. Ralph Kruger became the coach and he was starting to right the ***** show in the lock out year.

It was not good enough for SiMpLe JacK McTARD so he blows that developing good thing strait to hell. They fire Kruger by SKYPE, They hire this Marlie's GQ guy named Eakins and he scratches Jeff (on orders from McTARD to send a message) on opening day against the Kings. Score LA 6 EDM 0. We found out later that Eakins was being micro managed right down to the type of puck bags to use by McTARD all year. Jeff is rolling 25 minutes a night on the sh*ttiest run pro hockey team in North America. So he accrued a big deficit in +/-. But he learned all about the NHL rolling night in and night out against the top lines in the West.

The Edmonton press was merciless against Jeff. (He wasn't a good Western Canada boy like Justin Schultz etc). He wasn't a fighter but he was near the top in hits every year. He wouldn't come down from the blueline to get in some useless scrum because the Ref's warned him not to and the big macho Western Canada tweeter reporters would call him out.

I could go on and on, the day that his phone rang at 6:30 AM and McTARD told him he had traded him to the most storied team in NHL history was truly a rebirth!

Let's see how it goes. He's rolling with a 4" mesh job and nerve endings cut out of his hernia and a knee brace as well. He might be a tad slower at the first of this year. But he's smart and he knows positioning now.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
As a 2nd round pick he developed in NCAA then came out Spring of Jr year (btw, he has his college degree by taking his remaining courses online) (28 credits in 2 years WHILE HE WAS PLAYING IN EDMONTON).

The Oilers called him up in December of his first full year (he had about 20 or so, AHL games under his belt). The talk was that he was going to pair with Ryan Whitney and get protected/limited minutes. Whitney's foot was shot and he was done. Then Jeff was thrown out there to sink or swim. Ladi Smid became Jeff's D partner and showed him the ropes. They were a fairly decent pairing as Oiler pairings went. At one point they were 11th best shutdown pair in the league. So of course the Oil f'd that all up.. traded Ladi and there must have been 20 D guys come through there that are now selling cars. Ralph Kruger became the coach and he was starting to right the ***** show in the lock out year.

It was not good enough for SiMpLe JacK McTARD so he blows that developing good thing strait to hell. They fire Kruger by SKYPE, They hire this Marlie's GQ guy named Eakins and he scratches Jeff (on orders from McTARD to send a message) on opening day against the Kings. Score LA 6 EDM 0. We found out later that Eakins was being micro managed right down to the type of puck bags to use by McTARD all year. Jeff is rolling 25 minutes a night on the sh*ttiest run pro hockey team in North America. So he accrued a big deficit in +/-. But he learned all about the NHL rolling night in and night out against the top lines in the West.

The Edmonton press was merciless against Jeff. (He wasn't a good Western Canada boy like Justin Schultz etc). He wasn't a fighter but he was near the top in hits every year. He wouldn't come down from the blueline to get in some useless scrum because the Ref's warned him not to and the big macho Western Canada tweeter reporters would call him out.

I could go on and on, the day that his phone rang at 6:30 AM and McTARD told him he had traded him to the most storied team in NHL history was truly a rebirth!

Let's see how it goes. He's rolling with a 4" mesh job and nerve endings cut out of his hernia and a knee brace as well. He might be a tad slower at the first of this year. But he's smart and he knows positioning now.
heh, incredible story. thanks for stopping by! :cheers:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I totally forgot about this guy after he got injured last year, it's nice to have him back.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I totally forgot about this guy after he got injured last year, it's nice to have him back.

The sports hernia came out of nowhere in early November a few weeks before the Jamie Benn hit in Dallas. Jeff would have missed that hit had he been healthy. It kept getting worse and worse through the to the New Year. He was trying to make it to the Classic and beyond. He played pretty good in that game considering that he could only pivot in one direction.

The LaRaque article criticizing Jeff for his play through this stretch was frustrating to say the least. That guy doesn't know dick.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec

A lot of key (#1G, #1D, #1RW...) players were injured last season so his injury somewhat flew under the radar. We badly missed him. Maybe not because of their respective playing style but more in regards of their role, I see a lot of Hamrlik in him: such a stabilizing presence.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
His pass to Desharnais for his second goal last night was a thing of beauty. He is only 28 which is just entering prime years as a dman, I don't think we've seen the best of him over a full season.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal

It's hard to figure out how he could potentially look bad in Edmonton when playing with guys like Hall, Eberle and RNH. Ok the rest of their D was trash :laugh: but still Petry looks like a first pair D so far this season :nod:

Someone is on fire but not like I am expecting the offence to remain this way.

It's ok what we want from Petry is that he clears the puck from the zone effectively. And he's really good at that, his offensive game is gravy.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The guy is a lead by example quiet TEAM PLAYER.

It's been 3 games. He is known to disappear for long stretches, and he isn't overly physical. So if he isn't putting up points, he can be really ineffective out there. Maybe this is the year it all changes.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
It's been 3 games. He is known to disappear for long stretches

[citation needed]

and he isn't overly physical. So if he isn't putting up points, he can be really ineffective out there. Maybe this is the year it all changes.

He hits a fair amount, not to the full extent he could with his frame, but he surely isn't slight defensively.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It's been 3 games. He is known to disappear for long stretches, and he isn't overly physical. So if he isn't putting up points, he can be really ineffective out there. Maybe this is the year it all changes.

Wouldn't say he disappears. Going unnoticed as a dman is not always a bad thing.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Wouldn't say he disappears. Going unnoticed as a dman is not always a bad thing.

No kidding. I don't care if a guy stops players by putting them through a glass, or with a great stick, so long as the job is done.

Petry is mobile enough that it's hard to beat him with speed, he's just physical enough to knock a guy off the puck (you don't have to be overly physical to do the job), he's got a pretty good stick to break up plays, and he's got a decent first pass. He also makes good decisions about when to jump into the play.

I mean, I don't know what else you could ask for in a 2nd pairing guy. I feel a great sense of ease when petry is on the ice. It's like the opposite feeling of when Beaulieu is on.

Oct 22, 2012
No kidding. I don't care if a guy stops players by putting them through a glass, or with a great stick, so long as the job is done.

Petry is mobile enough that it's hard to beat him with speed, he's just physical enough to knock a guy off the puck (you don't have to be overly physical to do the job), he's got a pretty good stick to break up plays, and he's got a decent first pass. He also makes good decisions about when to jump into the play.

I mean, I don't know what else you could ask for in a 2nd pairing guy. I feel a great sense of ease when petry is on the ice. It's like the opposite feeling of when Beaulieu is on.

I'm routing for him to have a full healthy season, we've essentially gotten 0.5 seasons out of him so far. Even in the early goings last year he had a sports hernia I believe.

I also want Beaulieu to succeed however I think at this point he is what he is. Which isn't a knock on him, he is an NHL d man, but I think his career will round out as a #4. Good skating, hard worker, okay vision, lacking hockey sense and shot.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Petry is underrated by some, he's going to be very good for us, it's just too bad he got hurt last year but glad he's locked up and apart of the organization. Oilers were stupid to give him up for next to nothing. A good pickup by management for sure.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Still hilarious that we gave up less to get him 2 years ago than the Sharks did for Roman ****ing Polak last year. :laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What's going on with his injury status?

Knee brace all year or something? What is a 4" mesh job?

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Petry is an ideal #3 dman, can be a #2 in a pinch. A nice luxury when we have a current #1 in Weber, a former #1 in Markov and a budding #2 in Beaulieu.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
What's going on with his injury status?

Knee brace all year or something? What is a 4" mesh job?

brace should come off soon (MCL strain)

4" mesh is a synthetic webbing material that is introduced to the hernia tear abdomen wall tissue, the tissue will grow in to it and it acts as reinforcement to the weak area, sort of a like iron rebar in concrete

the nerve endings in the area are "clipped" to help alleviate pain

hqdefault.jpg

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
In a lot of ways he's the key difference between an average defense and a good defense . His presence allows guys like Emelin and Pateryn to play a more natural role on a third pairing and gives us a safe partner for an aging Markov. He solidifies that second PP unit too and takes some of the pressure off Weber. I said it at the time but to me getting him almost for free is kind of a consolation prize for us losing McDonagh so stupidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad