Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
brace should come off soon (MCL strain)

4" mesh is a synthetic webbing material that is introduced to the hernia tear abdomen wall tissue, the tissue will grow in to it and it acts as reinforcement to the weak area, sort of a like iron rebar in concrete

the nerve endings in the area are "clipped" to help alleviate pain

hqdefault.jpg
Does he have one of those chronic hernias? I'm not too familiar with his injury but I'm really wary of hernias when it comes to sportsman - so many careers careen off route as soon as they start coming around. Ankle and back injuries too. Ugh.

In a lot of ways he's the key difference between an average defense and a good defense . His presence allows guys like Emelin and Pateryn to play a more natural role on a third pairing and gives us a safe partner for an aging Markov. He solidifies that second PP unit too and takes some of the pressure off Weber. I said it at the time but to me getting him almost for free is kind of a consolation prize for us losing McDonagh so stupidly.
Well yeah... we pay him enough... 5.5m isn't nothing for a second pairing d-man (career high: 27 points). It's actually quite high. But he offers a good balancing force, yes.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
If anyone wants to read an incredibly stupid article and see someone argue that Jeff Petry is a TOP CANDIDATE to be bought out this year, higher than Dion Phaneuf (!!!), read this:

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...bought-out-before-the-2017-expansion-draft/2/

Oh man that’s brutal... no way I am clicking on that link! Are they for real? I mean is this an obscure blogger or what?!

Petry is big, fast, smart, strong, in his prime, he is a very solid two ways player and his contribution during transition (5 men unit) is solid. This guy would play top 4 anywhere in the league. No really... the link you provided... are they for real?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
HAHAHA:
That leaves Petry as the odd man out, but that pesky NMC means they’ll have to buy him out or live with losing one of the aforementioned players

I'm sure we would rather lose Emelin than Petry in the expansion draft. Right. It's actually amazing that, freelancer or not, people who are so utterly clueless actually get published. I suppose this is a representation of how diluted the internet has made "journalism"

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
HAHAHA:

I'm sure we would rather lose Emelin than Petry in the expansion draft. Right. It's actually amazing that, freelancer or not, people who are so utterly clueless actually get published. I suppose this is a representation of how diluted the internet has made "journalism"

Also, in some of the other write-ups, he talks like EVERY player that is not protected by a team would be lost, but of course only ONE player can be lost!!

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I'm used to it. He has received this type of press since the end of the Tom Renney regime at Edmonton. When your offensive #'s are 20ish for the bigger minutes and once the false perception of softness or lack of grit metastasizes through the spaghetti-belly twitter warriors crowd... it takes root.

They don't see, or refuse to acknowledge the other things that make him effective out there.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
He's very athletic defensemen who can position himself. However, he is going through a spurt of offense right now, and I believe an unsustainable spurt, so there is an emotional high in people evaluating him right now.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He's very athletic defensemen who can position himself. However, he is going through a spurt of offense right now, and I believe an unsustainable spurt, so there is an emotional high in people evaluating him right now.

I don't even pay attention to the point totals when I speak so glowingly about Petry. That's just icing on the cake as fas as I'm concerned.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I don't think anyone expect him to turn into a 50 points defenseman overnight.

But he's still an incredibly smooth skater, can pass the puck very well, and he has a very potent shot as well.

His numbers have always been a bit underwhelming for the kind of skillset he has. I'm thinkin the mid 30s are certainly attainable for him.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
when someone tries to beat him from the outside on a rush sometimes it looks like he is going to get beat but then he makes that huge swing move from backwards to side at a fast speed and quickly brings 6' of stick, 3-1/2' of arm and another 2'ft body lean to bare... and 9 times out of ten he disrupts the guy

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This Petry kid sure knows how to play hawkey.. great speed, great stickwork (defensively). Such an underrated player.

Apr 28, 2010
Markov-Petry is first pairing material, imo. So lucky to have them as our 2nd pairing.

Just need these guys healthy all year!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Not on a playoff team, no.

Our top 4 as it is is adequate.

I hope it is but I think its way too early to make a judgement as to whether it's adequate. Markov needs to be monitored in case he really starts to fall off a cliff. Beaulieu has alot to prove as well. He's still working at showing that he belongs in his current spot. It's far from a guarantee that he will work out as a 1st pairing guy. At this time, I don't feel comfortable going toe to toe with the league's best with beaulieu, but that can change.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Petry is a stud, he's the perfect 2nd RHD for this team. He's not flashy but does everything so well, plays that simple, consistent, effective and reliable game. His presence on the second pairing brings stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad