Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Nope. The more you wait, the harder it is to deal with when it all combines into one big challenge at one point in time. Take for example the 2017 off season... To Do List was Price, Markov, Radulov, Galchenyuk and an expansion draft. We ended up losing Markov and Radulov for nothing. Price was overpaid. And we got lucky with being able to trade Galchenyuk with 2 years in term then UFA for Domi who is younger and RFA controlled.

I don't support waiting. A smart GM identifies potential challenges and works at unblocking it by selling high when the player is trending well.

I made a list of players yesterday that should also be on the market if Petry is on the market.

Giordano was not moved at Petry's age, and now he is a key member of a contending team.

As for your laundry list, Price's deal had nothing to do with any other player on your list, Markov was going to be on a list every year until retirement or KHL anyway, Radulov could not have been planned 3 years in advance, and Galchenyuk was signed to a reasonable contract, not a lucky one.

All this being said, you never say no to listening to an offer. What do you expect you can get by selling Petry "high"?

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Kind of a tough situation, but a good problem to have. Depending on how the next month goes i could see advocating either trading petry and tatar if teams are willing to overpay, which they just might. Or shipping our first plus to fill the holes on ld and rw. exciting times.

I imagine petry playing the way he has at 50% retained for 2.5 season would in fact return a "kings ransom". What did Yandle go for when he was traded 2 years retained to the rags again?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I made a list of players yesterday that should also be on the market if Petry is on the market.

Giordano was not moved at Petry's age, and now he is a key member of a contending team.

As for your laundry list, Price's deal had nothing to do with any other player on your list, Markov was going to be on a list every year until retirement or KHL anyway, Radulov could not have been planned 3 years in advance, and Galchenyuk was signed to a reasonable contract, not a lucky one.

All this being said, you never say no to offers. What do you expect you can get by selling Petry "high"?

Petry should not be compared to Giordano IMO.

Laundry list? It's a to do list and when any GM has a to do list like this, it's very difficult to manage and come out looking good. Price's deal has something to do with the "to do" list no matter how you spin it. Bergevin wanted nothing to do with distractions and after losing Markov and Radulov he signed him to what he wanted cause he wanted to avoid any further distractions

If I were to trade Petry, It's next season at the deadline when we get to see Brook's game once he turns pro. We will have a better look at Juulsen as well. As far as trading high... I want a significant piece for each year in term left. A top prospect and a 1st is a starting point if he were to be deal at the 2020 deadline

Reactions: scrubadam

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Petry should not be compared to Giordano IMO.

Laundry list? It's a to do list and when any GM has a to do list like this, it's very difficult to manage and come out looking good. Price's deal has something to do with the "to do" list no matter how you spin it. Bergevin wanted nothing to do with distractions and after losing Markov and Radulov he signed him to what he wanted cause he wanted to avoid any further distractions

If I were to trade Petry, It's next season at the deadline when we get to see Brook's game once he turns pro.

Price's deal was certainly negotiated over weeks, if not months. Bergevin did not know what the status of Radulov's and Markov's talks would be on July 2 when he made the deal with Price that was only ANNOUNCED as soon as it was legal to do so.

As for Petry, no problem to shelve this talk until we see how Brook is doing.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Many posters here don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Not everyone has logical training. It's not necessarily their fault. Even fundamentally smart people make better recommendations or decisions if they have had logic training and have acquired knowledge of scientific methods.

Quite possibly the early frontrunner for most pretentious post of the year, kudos.

Reactions: Scootz Mcgootz

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hes sucked for the better part of the year, he essentialy turned into what RDS thought Subban was. He produces offensively but gets walked left and right defensively and he doesnt drive the play, hes Shattenkirk, Yandle, Gardiner bad.
I hope you are just trolling at this point because this is just laughably bad. Sucked for the better part of the year? You might have been watching another player instead. As for your terrible comparisons, Shattenkirk has been a healthy scratch or on the bottom pair, Gardiner has been absolutely horrible defensively and you should watch him and Yandle play before making comments like that.

Do you still think Juulsen is better than Petry right now?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price's deal was certainly negotiated over weeks, if not months. Bergevin did not know what the status of Radulov's and Markov's talks would be on July 2 when he made the deal with Price that was only ANNOUNCED as soon as it was legal to do so.

As for Petry, no problem to shelve this talk until we see how Brook is doing.

We agree on Petry.

Price's deal was part of the to do list. Just like Kotkaniemi will be when Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, Danault, Lindgren are UFA's in 2021. It's a massive to do list yet again when there is an expansion draft. Thinking we will be able to trade some of them for fair value when they are pending UFA's with an expansion draft coming where other teams are going to be trying the same thing clutters things up and also complicates it.

I don't support waiting. Make the tough decisions now on some of them to help unblock the potential issue.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hope you are just trolling at this point because this is just laughably bad. Sucked for the better part of the year? You might have been watching another player instead. As for your terrible comparisons, Shattenkirk has been a healthy scratch or on the bottom pair, Gardiner has been absolutely horrible defensively and you should watch him and Yandle play before making comments like that.

Do you still think Juulsen is better than Petry right now?
This is exactly what Im saying. I guess you conveniently the three odd man rush Petry gave up in the third alone? Price is going bonkers playig behind this guy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Many posters here don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Not everyone has logical training. It's not necessarily their fault. Even fundamentally smart people make better recommendations or decisions if they have had logic training and have acquired knowledge of scientific methods.

Quite possibly the early frontrunner for most pretentious post of the year, kudos.

Do you actually disagree that logic helps people make sound decisions and recommendations?

Is it not true that understanding scientific methods can shed light on certain correlations? The idea of holding one variable steady and looking at another one, and so forth?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We agree on Petry.

Price's deal was part of the to do list. Just like Kotkaniemi will be when Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, Danault, Lindgren are UFA's in 2021. It's a massive to do list yet again when there is an expansion draft. Thinking we will be able to trade some of them for fair value when they are pending UFA's with an expansion draft coming where other teams are going to be trying the same thing clutters things up and also complicates it.

I don't support waiting. Make the tough decisions now on some of them to help unblock the potential issue.

I would love to play the expansion draft game if the other GMS were to "think" the way some have shown here. I will gladly TAKE all the players other GMs want to unload for less than market value, just because they fear to lose them for nothing. If I can get four good players, and I lose one, but don't lose the guy I would have lost in the first place, I do these deals all day, every day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would love to play the expansion draft game if the other GMS were to "think" the way some have shown here. I will gladly TAKE all the players other GMs want to unload for less than market value, just because they fear to lose them for nothing. If I can get four good players, and I lose one, but don't lose the guy I would have lost in the first place, I do these deals all day, every day.

Well you better project your 50 contract roster limit now then if you are acquiring several spare parts from other teams.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well you better project your 50 contract roster limit now then if you are acquiring several spare parts from other teams.

Planning? Of course. Actually, I would never want to be very near the 50 contract limit. With 46 players in Montreal and Laval, plus say 5 injuries, minus the bottom third of Laval being filled with AHL contracts, I would need around 43 contracts. Guys in Junior don't count (Suzuki, Brook, Teasdale). It would never be an issue.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Trading Petry #facepalm

That has to be the strongest argument i've heard against trading Petry.

Seriously, you think we're gonna win a cup with Petry in the next two seasons?

Because that's what it boils down to. After the next two years, Petry comes up for free agency at the same time there will be the Seattle expansion draft. At that point, one of Brook or Juulsen will be ready to take on more responsabilities and a very likely logjam on the right side will occur. Who do you keep? Weber? Petry? Will we protect Petry for nothing like we did with Radulov?

Petry right now is worth a whole lot on the trade market. If there are corresponding needs from several parties, now might be the time to bank on an asset that will in the end have to be delt away anyway in the mid term.

I mean, this very likely situation in the future and legitimate concern being logically discussed deserves a facepalm according to you? What age are you?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Planning? Of course. Actually, I would never want to be very near the 50 contract limit. With 46 players in Montreal and Laval, plus say 5 injuries, minus the bottom third of Laval being filled with AHL contracts, I would need around 43 contracts. Guys in Junior don't count (Suzuki, Brook, Teasdale). It would never be an issue.

Correct, most stay around 45. It's not easy to manage a team and think that you will steal other talent when there is an expansion draft. I'm very concerned with the "to do" list in 2021. Coincidentally, Bergevin's contract ends at the same time :sarcasm:

I guess we can call it a Molson "to do" list and that's even scarier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Kind of a tough situation, but a good problem to have. Depending on how the next month goes i could see advocating either trading petry and tatar if teams are willing to overpay, which they just might. Or shipping our first plus to fill the holes on ld and rw. exciting times.

I imagine petry playing the way he has at 50% retained for 2.5 season would in fact return a "kings ransom". What did Yandle go for when he was traded 2 years retained to the rags again?

John Moore, Duclair, 2016 2nd round pick.

None of those guys are in ARZ right now, none of them will probably ever make a difference. The trade was done March 1st 2015. Its nearly 4 years later.

So trading Petry to improve our team for this mythical 3 years later when we will contend for a cup, well that plan didn't work for ARZ which are contending for the basement and the Kings Ransom they got for Yandle has had no impact, 4 years later.

Unless we are getting a top 10 pick or proven young NHL player, don't chase fools gold. Odds are we draft more Crisps, De La Rose, Fucales, Collbergs etc... with all the 2nds and 3rds we get for trading our players.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Petry has been our most consistent offensive player this season. He is a top 30 guy in the League for his position. If the Habs could somehow move out Alzner, and bring in Muzzin then sign Gardiner in the off-season we would have two perfect pairings with a strong offensive minded guy and a stay at home shutdown guy.

If Bergevin is smart (lol), the only non-boat anchor contract he would move is Tatar. Byron will end up being a steal so long as he doesn't lose his edge with the foot speed. Danault will end up being the highest paid 4C in the league; but we only move him when Poehling is ready. Suzuki can come in as a winger, and our team becomes very very scary.

Move Alzner and Tatar, sign Duchene/Gardiner and trade for Muzzin and we are a cup contender. Trading Petry, unless there is significant overpay (Nylander as an example) is just the wrong play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad