Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Petry has been our most consistent offensive player this season. He is a top 30 guy in the League for his position. If the Habs could somehow move out Alzner, and bring in Muzzin then sign Gardiner in the off-season we would have two perfect pairings with a strong offensive minded guy and a stay at home shutdown guy.

If Bergevin is smart (lol), the only non-boat anchor contract he would move is Tatar. Byron will end up being a steal so long as he doesn't lose his edge with the foot speed. Danault will end up being the highest paid 4C in the league; but we only move him when Poehling is ready. Suzuki can come in as a winger, and our team becomes very very scary.

Move Alzner and Tatar, sign Duchene/Gardiner and trade for Muzzin and we are a cup contender. Trading Petry, unless there is significant overpay (Nylander as an example) is just the wrong play.

You're banking on a lot of things to come to past. The likelyhood to manage this is not high.

The likelyhood we'll have a logjam on the right side in the next two years is much more likely.

Also, no one is saying to trade him just for the sake of it, but rather that there are compounding factors that makes a possible high return likely at the next TDL.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Today, maybe not --- but with a few changes (solidify our blueline, add one offensive talent who can tally points) absolutely.

I disagree.

It's not just our defense. We have way too many small forwards. A lot of tweaks need to be done and by then the logjam on the right side will occur and we'll likely lose a good asset for nothing, or much less than if we acted with a bit of foresight.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
That has to be the strongest argument i've heard against trading Petry.

Seriously, you think we're gonna win a cup with Petry in the next two seasons?

Because that's what it boils down to. After the next two years, Petry comes up for free agency at the same time there will be the Seattle expansion draft. At that point, one of Brook or Juulsen will be ready to take on more responsabilities and a very likely logjam on the right side will occur. Who do you keep? Weber? Petry? Will we protect Petry for nothing like we did with Radulov?

Petry right now is worth a whole lot on the trade market. If there are corresponding needs from several parties, now might be the time to bank on an asset that will in the end have to be delt away anyway in the mid term.

I mean, this very likely situation in the future and legitimate concern being logically discussed deserves a facepalm according to you? What age are you?
So with your thought process we should trade anyone because we wont be winning a cup for years to come right ?
Keeping Petry.

Reactions: scrubadam

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
John Moore, Duclair, 2016 2nd round pick.

None of those guys are in ARZ right now, none of them will probably ever make a difference. The trade was done March 1st 2015. Its nearly 4 years later.

So trading Petry to improve our team for this mythical 3 years later when we will contend for a cup, well that plan didn't work for ARZ which are contending for the basement and the Kings Ransom they got for Yandle has had no impact, 4 years later.

Unless we are getting a top 10 pick or proven young NHL player, don't chase fools gold. Odds are we draft more Crisps, De La Rose, Fucales, Collbergs etc... with all the 2nds and 3rds we get for trading our players.

Ya that certainly doesn't seem like a "kings ransom" lol

Maybe a McDonagh like return?

I agree though, i would much rather see us keep Petry, make the playoff's, add players to fill the holes through ufa or trading picks, and contend for the cup for the next 2 years with still prime Price Weber and Petry holding up the back end.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
Bergevin/Molson signed Price to that awful contract right after our first round loss to the Rangers in 2017, when it should have become obvious to most lucid observers that the current core was either in their 30s+ (Markov, Weber, Radulov) or consistently underperforming in the playoffs (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Price to a lesser extent).

The same GM/owner who tried to go after Stastny, Tavares and RoR, when he already knew that Weber might miss up to half the season and right after coming a disastrous season.

Knowing that, I think it's fairly safe to say that unless the team has an historically bad collapse, that your still under contract, 2nd best defenseman isn't going to be traded.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Did the Rangers really get that much for McD?

28th pick in the draft (wow another Scherbak/Maccaron).

Namenstikov is 26 years old with 4 goals this year.

Hajek and Howden are still young so maybe someone can speak better to it but are these guys going to be future elite talent?

Unless we can land a top 10 pick, the I bet the return for Petry will end up being a bunch of pieces that never play more than 100 games for the habs combined.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Bergevin did say he leaves the door open to trading vets.

If you look only in the short term, sure no one wants to trade him, but both in the mid and long term, a choice will have to be made at some point.

Are we really in a position to contend?

Petry isn't that old though

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Ya that certainly doesn't seem like a "kings ransom" lol

Maybe a McDonagh like return?

I agree though, i would much rather see us keep Petry, make the playoff's, add players to fill the holes through ufa or trading picks, and contend for the cup for the next 2 years with still prime Price Weber and Petry holding up the back end.

LOL.

Actually just made a post about McD

Did the Rangers really get that much for McD?

28th pick in the draft (wow another Scherbak/Maccaron).

Namenstikov is 26 years old with 4 goals this year.

Hajek and Howden are still young so maybe someone can speak better to it but are these guys going to be future elite talent?

Unless we can land a top 10 pick, the I bet the return for Petry will end up being a bunch of pieces that never play more than 100 games for the habs combined.

I don't have much faith that anything outside a top 10 pick will amount to much. We already have an extra pick this year in the draft anyways, and picked two times last draft in the 2nd round.

I am open to trading Petry AFTER the season, based on how things go. But trading him at this TDL for no reason makes no sense.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Bergevin/Molson signed Price to that awful contract right after our first round loss to the Rangers in 2017, when it should have become obvious to most lucid observers that the current core was either in their 30s+ (Markov, Weber, Radulov) or consistently underperforming in the playoffs (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Price to a lesser extent).

The same GM/owner who tried to go after Stastny, Tavares and RoR, when he already knew that Weber might miss up to half the season and right after coming a disastrous season.

Knowing that, I think it's fairly safe to say that unless the team has an historically bad collapse, that your still under contract, 2nd best defenseman isn't going to be traded.

A whole lot will change in the next 6 weeks.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This team is making the playoffs, so they aren't going to trade signed vets for on reason. If Petry was UFA this year the debate would make sense. We have him for 2 more years so there is no rush to trade him especially when the habs are going into the playoffs.

I get it some of you hate watching talented players and would prefer the habs to lose, but you will have to wait till next season to cheer that on.

CAR/BUF are not better than the habs and won't take the WC2 spot from us. NJ on down are 12 or more points behind us.

BUF has 6 wins since december 1st in 18 games, they are collapsing like the habs did in 2016, they are done. Outside of there 10 game win streak they have been a bottom team.

CAR have some good young pieces but they don't have a Weber or a Price so they aren't going to catch the habs.

If holding onto Petry means that I get a 3rd pick instead of a 2nd round pick when I do trade him, while getting some playoff games is worth it. And think about it imagine the increase to Petry's value if he has a good playoff run!

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He'll be 33 when his contract will be up.

Who'd you rather keep? 35 yold Weber or 33 yold Petry on a new, probably more costly deal?

Why are those our options? You don't have to get rid of either of them if it's clear that young guys are going to be able to log more important minutes.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Please have a modicum of restraint and realize the goal is far from assured. You willing to bet your house on it?

Let's see where we're at in 6 weeks.

You might have again dissappeared by then....

We've been saying this all year "just wait and see where they're at", THOSE people are the ones disappearing and then reappearing after a loss.

Well look at where they are right f***ing now.

Ah actually it's the opposite. There will be a logjam. And you don't want any of them on their wrong side.

Logjam? I'm not going to assume any of our prospects will be able to replace their contributions that easily so we'll see

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We've been saying this all year "just wait and see where they're at", THOSE people are the ones disappearing and then reappearing after a loss.

Well look at where they are right ****ing now.

Logjam? I'm not going to assume any of our prospects will be able to replace their contributions that easily so we'll see

Why do you need to refer to others when Im right here talking to you? Doesn't that destroy your pretention right from the start? I havent dissappeared and im one of those people saying those things.

The delusion goes far when the sheep can't accept that this relative short term success in no way guarantees further success. The concerns are legitimate, and unlike your pretentions, we're a boatload of posters who share this outlook and havent dissappeared. They're all still here and vocal. The fantasies that run in your head are quite telling.

It would be extremely shortsided to not consider the mid and long term when it comes to Petry.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Please have a modicum of restraint and realize the goal is far from assured. You willing to bet your house on it?

Let's see where we're at in 6 weeks.

You might have again dissappeared by then....

Who is going to knock the habs out?

BUF is in a tailspin, 6 wins since December 1st.

CAR, habs are better than them.

Every other team is 12 points or more behind.

Sorry Ozzy but you are going to have to watch Habs playoff hockey this year, I know it hurts but cest la vie.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Who is going to knock the habs out?

BUF is in a tailspin, 6 wins since December 1st.

CAR, habs are better than them.

Every other team is 12 points or more behind.

Sorry Ozzy but you are going to have to watch Habs playoff hockey this year, I know it hurts but cest la vie.

Yes because the present moment is always a guatantee to repeat itself.

And quit the stupid little act. No wonder how you can't tell the difference between doubt and not wanting something.

You havent changed one bit.

Always trumpeting in the marching band after a good 10 game run... yet nowhere to be seen afterwards when the trends go in reverse.

Reactions: OldCraig71

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
A whole lot will change in the next 6 weeks.

That's true. To be clear, I've been in favor of a rebuild ever since the 2017 loss to the rangers. I ranked the team 30 out of 31, just behind Ottawa. Even though I've been pleasantly surprised so far, especially regarding our forward depth, there are many big question marks especially on D that cannot realistically be fixed in the short or mid term.

However I'm just trying to reconcile some of the wilder expectations about a rebuild with the reality of our management. And I'm fairly sure that it's not about Bergevin but rather about Geoff Molson. Unless something catastrophic happens, we'll be in the playoff race until the trade deadline and there will be no fire sale.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yes because the present moment is always a guatantee to repeat itself.

And quit the stupid little act. No wonder how you can't tell the difference between doubt and not wanting something.

You havent changed one bit.

Always trumpeting in the marching band after a good 10 game run... yet nowhere to be seen afterwards when the trends go in reverse.

The momentum has been going on all season, and you can apply that to CAR/BUF.

Those are the only 2 teams that have a chance of catching the habs and neither are better than the Habs.

So again I ask which team in your opinion is going to knock the habs out of the WC2 spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad