Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
We accept? Lol...we don't have a choice. We're not the ones running the team. You can talk trades and drafts all day long but we don't have a say. And before you say vote with our wallets, that's exactly why they won't trade said players, because people go see them because they're playing good hockey and winning.

i would agree if our RHD and Winger pool was trash, but if you can get a young LHD and a pick for Petry and a nice young foward propect a la Suzuki for tatar you personally don't do it?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
i would agree if our RHD and Winger pool was trash, but if you can get a young LHD and a pick for Petry and a nice young foward propect a la Suzuki for tatar you personally don't do it?

It obviously always depends who you get back in a trade. Draft picks are a crapshoot and even a guy like Suzuki is yet to be seen how good he'll be. There was nothing impressive from him at the World Juniors. Nothing is a guarantee. I remember when Mccaron was untouchable as were so many others by listening to people on this board.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Think I'm making sense? No, I know I'm making sense. You will not win anything on drafting alone. Look at our first round picks over the last 10 years and try making a good team with that lol. This board couldn't evaluate talent or a hockey team if their lives depended on it lol

What do you mean with on drafting alone, Montreal have Price, Gallagher, Weber as Mentor pieces, thats 3 Good leadership guy. Danault, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi are all core guys who will mature with time.

I do not feel anxious ONE bit, bringing young players into this locker room.

If we don't capitalize on trading guys who won't be here in the future when we are relevant, at the time they have their biggest value, it's obviously bad management. f*** settling for the Playoff, i Wanna see a Stanley cup as an ADULT. i don't know how old you are but i was 4 year old last time they won a cup, we had 1PPG player in the last 20 years, If that isn't lame and mediocre, i don't know what that is. I'm not asking the team to lose by purpose, but trading older guys for younger guys will make it part of the process, Look at HOW fast the Bruins turned it around. Imagine if they drafted better in 2015, the team would almost be a TOP contender for YEARS.

like i said Petry and Tatar are both very expandable parts that could bring a king ransom to only suffer for a short time.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
What do you mean with on drafting alone, Montreal have Price, Gallagher, Weber as Mentor pieces, thats 3 Good leadership guy. Danault, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi are all core guys who will mature with time.

I do not feel anxious ONE bit, bringing young players into this locker room.

If we don't capitalize on trading guys who won't be here in the future when we are relevant, at the time they have their biggest value, it's obviously bad management. **** settling for the Playoff, i Wanna see a Stanley cup as an ADULT. i don't know how old you are but i was 4 year old last time they won a cup, we had 1PPG player in the last 20 years, If that isn't lame and mediocre, i don't know what that is. I'm not asking the team to lose by purpose, but trading older guys for younger guys will make it part of the process, Look at HOW fast the Bruins turned it around. Imagine if they drafted better in 2015, the team would almost be a TOP contender for YEARS.

like i said Petry and Tatar are both very expandable parts that could bring a king ransom to only suffer for a short time.

A lot of the players you mentioned weren't drafted by the Habs, they were traded for.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
It obviously always depends who you get back in a trade. Draft picks are a crapshoot and even a guy like Suzuki is yet to be seen how good he'll be. There was nothing impressive from him at the World Juniors. Nothing is a guarantee. I remember when Mccaron was untouchable as were so many others by listening to people on this board.

Common anybody with decent hockey sense would know how bad was Mccarron, i know it's ironic to say that because we have the same scouting staff that picked him. He was also a very late first round pick. At that time Montreal was stuck in a different era and with the way we have been drafting in the past 2 years, i feel more confident with how the staff scouts player. McCarron was indeed a sad pick considering we could have drafted Theodore who would look stellar on this team.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Common anybody with decent hockey sense would know how bad was Mccarron, i know it's ironic to say that because we have the same scouting staff that picked him. He was also a very late first round pick. At that time Montreal was stuck in a different era and with the way we have been drafting in the past 2 years, i feel more confident with how the staff scouts player. McCarron was indeed a sad pick considering we could have drafted Theodore who would look stellar on this team.

I hear this confidence in our draft year after every draft. Galchenyuk was the next Gretzky if you listened to people here. He's been traded. Most of our first rounders have been traded actually.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
whats the Point, they are still Core young players here for years at peak performance play and most of them will only get better.

Point is, you guys keep wanting to trade everyone for draft picks as if we even draft well in the first place. We traded for a lot of these players.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I hear this confidence in our draft year after every draft. Galchenyuk was the next Gretzky if you listened to people here. He's been traded. Most of our first rounders have been traded actually.
Have you? you joinded last year, and im pretty sure Timmins has been shitted on for years.
Point is, you guys keep wanting to trade everyone for draft picks as if we even draft well in the first place.
Galchenyuk was the right pick at the time, Sergachev ( Never been a fan but understood the pick) was happy and still happy with the trade. poehling is turning like an exellent late first pick (even tho i would have prefered Frost) But who knows how it's gonna turn out. Pacioretty trade was amazing even without Tatar coming back. These are attempt at homer runs and this is how you can turn a franchise around quick. I can get the way you feel about the draft with all the unsuccessful draft pick we had but it's hard to hit with a nice success rate when you're picking this high.

But the way you are think we might as well trade our first round pick every year and try to get a etablished player to make the player every year since Draft pick are Uncertain commodity. I have never seen this tactic being successful in the past, they ruined team like the leafs for years, Until recently where they capitalized on the draft.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Have you? you joinded last year, and im pretty sure Timmins has been ****ted on for years.

Galchenyuk was the right pick at the time, Sergachev ( Never been a fan but understood the pick) was happy and still happy with the trade. poehling is turning like an exellent late first pick (even tho i would have prefered Frost) But who knows how it's gonna turn out. Pacioretty trade was amazing even without Tatar coming back. These are attempt at homer runs and this is how you can turn a franchise around quick. I can get the way you feel about the draft with all the unsuccessful draft pick we had but it's hard to hit with a nice success rate when you're picking this high.

But the way you are think we might as well trade our first round pick every year and try to get a etablished player to make the player every year since Draft pick are Uncertain commodity. I have never seen this tactic being successful in the past, they ruined team like the leafs for years, Until recently where they capitalized on the draft.

Just because I joined last year doesn't mean I haven't been reading. Leafs haven't won shit since 1967! Not winning this year either from the looks of it. Like I said, it's a mix of great drafting and trading, not just drafting.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Just because I joined last year doesn't mean I haven't been reading. Leafs haven't won **** since 1967! Not winning this year either from the looks of it. Like I said, it's a mix of great drafting and trading, not just drafting.
we will stop here and agree to disagree because we have 2 very different thoughts on how to build a winning team.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
we will stop here and agree to disagree because we have 2 very different thoughts on how to build a winning team.

That's fine. All you have to do is take every draft pick the Habs ever had in the last 10 or 15 years and try to make a winning team with that and you'll have your answer.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That's fine. All you have to do is take every draft pick the Habs ever had in the last 10 or 15 years and try to make a winning team with that and you'll have your answer.

wich we're all late picks, once again.

Or you can do another exercice and ask yourself if we are going to win a stanley cup in the next 3 playoffs with nearly the exact same roster?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Can you elaborate on what you think the return would be should the GM decide to trade Petry and Tatar? "King's Ransom" is not an objective term, but perhaps you could give examples of the return you think is available and that ought to be accepted.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
wich we're all late picks, once again.

Or you can do another exercice and ask yourself if we are going to win a stanley cup in the next 3 playoffs with nearly the exact same roster?

Lol...now you're reaching. I hate when people can't admit they're wrong. You know, because every team that won picked early lol. It takes good drafting no matter the rank, period, case closed.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Their was a time where McCarron was ppg in the AHL. Neck a neck with Nylander in scoring. Their was certainly reason to be optimistic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry has been on track for 50-60 pts pretty much all season so far. He's been consistent. On pace for 58 pts and 17 goals. That's very impressive!

Will be interesting to see how the RD unfolds in the next 2.5 years where Petry becomes UFA... Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. Do you keep Petry and extend him at age 33? Pretty sure if he keeps this production up, he will require a contract more than we would prefer. He will be going after both term and AAV.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Petry has been on track for 50-60 pts pretty much all season so far. He's been consistent. On pace for 58 pts and 17 goals. That's very impressive!

Will be interesting to see how the RD unfolds in the next 2.5 years where Petry becomes UFA... Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. Do you keep Petry and extend him at age 33? Pretty sure if he keeps this production up, he will require a contract more than we would prefer. He will be going after both term and AAV.

Deal with the cap issue then. Not now.

Right now, I am as interested in moving Petry as Boston is in moving Krejci, who is more than a year older.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lol...now you're reaching. I hate when people can't admit they're wrong. You know, because every team that won picked early lol. It takes good drafting no matter the rank, period, case closed.

Many posters here don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Not everyone has logical training. It's not necessarily their fault. Even fundamentally smart people make better recommendations or decisions if they have had logic training and have acquired knowledge of scientific methods.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Deal with the cap issue then. Not now.

Right now, I am as interested in moving Petry as Boston is in moving Krejci, who is more than a year older.

Nope. The more you wait, the harder it is to deal with when it all combines into one big challenge at one point in time. Take for example the 2017 off season... To Do List was Price, Markov, Radulov, Galchenyuk and an expansion draft. We ended up losing Markov and Radulov for nothing. Price was overpaid. And we got lucky with being able to trade Galchenyuk with 2 years in term then UFA for Domi who is younger and RFA controlled.

I don't support waiting. A smart GM identifies potential challenges and works at unblocking it by selling high when the player is trending well. Especially when you are not a cup contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad