Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Petry would be a reliable top 4 dman for them for years and they are a division rival. I would trade him out of conference, out of division at minimum. If it is to the leafs it would need to be a significant overpay
Yup exactly my thoughts, hence the "take advantage" part of my thinking. If we can get a 1rst+top prospect+top young player. You pull the trigger. Otherwise, keep him or trade him outside our division.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I love Petry, been one of his biggest fans, but I must acknowledge his trade value will never be higher than it is now, especially heading to the trade deadline. Its something Berge must strongly consider.

A desperate team we can take advantage of would be the Leafs. They are still weaker than the Bolts and seem to struggle heavily vs the Bruins. Petry would be a huge addition to their right side.

Regardless, I love Petry as a player.

I agree the time has never been better for the Habs to trade Petry. His value is real high and at 31 there is nowhere to go but down.

A similar idea could motivate the Bruins, if their GM were as smart as us here. They can't compete with the Bolts or all the $10M players on Toronto. In other words, obviously Boston won't win the Cup and not only is their top defenceman much older than ours but their two useful goalies are also BOTH older than the aging Carey Price.

Bergeron isn't getting younger, Krejci or Backes neither. These guys are actually older than our old geezers Tatar, Byron, Shaw whom the Habs are about to trade for future assets if they know what is good for them.

Therefore, I suggest that the Bruins move Brad Marchand at the trade deadline to a real elite team like Toronto. The time has never been better for them to get a top draft pick to play with Pastrnak. At almost 31 years old himself, Marchand will lose value year after year. What's the point of holding onto him if the team won't be able to win the Cup in the next 2-3 years?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Petry nor any player that's producing is getting traded. There is no rebuild, it's a retool. Petry, Tatar, Weber, Price, etc aren't going anywhere. They want to make the playoffs just like any other team.

Reactions: aresknights

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Petry nor any player that's producing is getting traded. There is no rebuild, it's a retool. Petry, Tatar, Weber, Price, etc aren't going anywhere. They want to make the playoffs just like any other team.

wich is a terrible idea.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
wich is a terrible idea.

There is no rebuild, so how is it a bad idea? Only on this site do I see so many people wanting to trade our best players. You guys keep talking about draft picks. What did that give EDM, ARI, or a plethora of other teams that have been picking pretty high for what seems forever ? Contrary to what you guys spew on this site, you can't win by just doing that, you need a mix of good drafts and trades.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yes that is the plan. It's a mistake. But that is the plan.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I agree the time has never been better for the Habs to trade Petry. His value is real high and at 31 there is nowhere to go but down.

A similar idea could motivate the Bruins, if their GM were as smart as us here. They can't compete with the Bolts or all the $10M players on Toronto. In other words, obviously Boston won't win the Cup and not only is their top defenceman much older than ours but their two useful goalies are also BOTH older than the aging Carey Price.

Bergeron isn't getting younger, Krejci or Backes neither. These guys are actually older than our old geezers Tatar, Byron, Shaw whom the Habs are about to trade for future assets if they know what is good for them.

Therefore, I suggest that the Bruins move Brad Marchand at the trade deadline to a real elite team like Toronto. The time has never been better for them to get a top draft pick to play with Pastrnak. At almost 31 years old himself, Marchand will lose value year after year. What's the point of holding onto him if the team won't be able to win the Cup in the next 2-3 years?
The problem with the Bruins, unlike the Habs, they have one of the worst prospect pools and not exactly much after Pasta and McCavoy in terms of young players. Their time is obviously now with Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and others still around.
Habs are still planning for the future with one of the best pools and a list of young players.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Most likely but that thinking will never yield us a cup, unfortunately.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
There is no rebuild, so how is it a bad idea? Only on this site do I see so many people wanting to trade our best players. You guys keep talking about draft picks. What did that give EDM, ARI, or a plethora of other teams that have been picking pretty high for what seems forever ? Contrary to what you guys spew on this site, you can't win by just doing that, you need a mix of good drafts and trades.

Hmm ok, look at all the cup winners? exacly. So tell me you think we will contend for a cup this year and in the next 2 years? if not what does Petry brings in those 2 years? staying mediocre so we can hope to be a wild playoff team? same goes with tatar. if they were 25 year old i would agree with you, but they have limited Peak performance time + only 2 other years on their contract. We have alot of Wingers and a very good RHD prospect pool. One of Petry or Weber needs to go in the near future, Weber is harder to trade right now and Petry would bring a pretty good package, Think something around what we got for Pacioretty, minus the Cap dump that turned into a valuable assets.

I want to watch a Team that will be competitive for years, not just some team who wants some cinderilla wild card story.

You would say no to a second Player like Kotkaniemi?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Hmm ok, look at all the cup winners? exacly. So tell me you think we will contend for a cup this year and in the next 2 years? if not what does Petry brings in those 2 years? staying mediocre so we can hope to be a wild playoff team? same goes with tatar. if they were 25 year old i would agree with you, but they have limited Peak performance time + only 2 other years on their contract. We have alot of Wingers and a very good RHD prospect pool. One of Petry or Weber needs to go in the near future, Weber is harder to trade right now and Petry would bring a pretty good package, Think something around what we got for Pacioretty, minus the Cap dump that turned into a valuable assets.

I want to watch a Team that will be competitive for years, not just some team who wants some cinderilla wild card story.

You would say no to a second Player like Kotkaniemi?

First of all, it's a business, so making the playoffs and making money comes first. Competing for the cup is obviously a goal of the team, but trust me, they're happy to just make the playoffs and make extra money. They're not going to win and be in a playoff race and just turn around and trade their best players. Secondly, the masses would be flooding the airwaves with a collective WTF if they traded any player that was playing great. Just doesn't make sense except for the people on this board.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

wich is a terrible idea.

Exactly, very terrible idea. The refutation of the idea of getting into no man's land has been expounded by many here so I don't understand why anyone still clings to the idea of competing yearly for the Cup.

Think of all the top-100 F or top-60 D that the already almost invincible teams like Tampa Bay, Washington, Calgary, San Jose and of course Toronto could acquire from shrewd GMs who are ready to stop being middle of the pack, making the playoffs only to lose in the first or second round, and finally trade their over-27 guys, whether they have term left or not, for top draft picks:

Patrick Kane (out of playoffs)
Blake Wheeler (Winnipeg will probably lose in the second round)
Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh on track to lose in first round)
Phil Kessel
Claude Giroux
Evgeni Malkin
Brad Marchand
Cam Atkinson (Columbus will surely lose to Washington due to the generational talent the Caps have)
Ryan O'Reilly
Zach Parise
Jonathan Toews
Mike Hoffman
Alex Radulov
Patrice Bergeron
Kris Letang
Evgenii Dadonov
Jakub Voracek
Kyle Palmieri
David Krejci
Keith Yandle
Anders Lee
Josh Bailey
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
PK Subban
Ryan Ellis
Jamie Benn
David Perron
Tomas Tatar
Jeff Petry
Shea Weber
Tyson Barrie
Jonathan Marchessault (Vegas likely to lose in second round to the elite talents in San Jose)
Anze Kopitar
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan suter
Dustin Byfuglien
Jared Spurgeon
Drew Doughty
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Jake Muzzin
Duncan Keith
Alex Edler
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Green
Brent Seabrook
Carey Price
Tukka Rask
Jaroslav Halak
Marc-André Fleury
Sergei Bobrovsky
Devan Dubnyk
Pekka Rinne
Ben Bishop

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Exactly, very terrible idea. The refutation of the idea of getting into no man's land has been expounded by many here so I don't understand why anyone still clings to the idea of competing yearly for the Cup.

Think of all the top-100 F or top-60 D that the already almost invincible teams like Tampa Bay, Washington, Calgary, San Jose and of course Toronto could acquire from shrewd GMs who are ready to stop being middle of the pack, making the playoffs only to lose in the first or second round, and finally trade their over-27 guys, whether they have term left or not, for top draft picks:

Patrick Kane (out of playoffs)
Blake Wheeler (Winnipeg will probably lose in the second round)
Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh on track to lose in first round)
Phil Kessel
Claude Giroux
Evgeni Malkin
Brad Marchand
Cam Atkinson (Columbus will surely lose to Washington due to the generational talent the Caps have)
Ryan O'Reilly
Zach Parise
Jonathan Toews
Mike Hoffman
Alex Radulov
Patrice Bergeron
Kris Letang
Evgenii Dadonov
Jakub Voracek
Kyle Palmieri
David Krejci
Keith Yandle
Anders Lee
Josh Bailey
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
PK Subban
Ryan Ellis
Jamie Benn
David Perron
Tomas Tatar
Jeff Petry
Shea Weber
Tyson Barrie
Jonathan Marchessault (Vegas likely to lose in second round to the elite talents in San Jose)
Anze Kopitar
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan suter
Dustin Byfuglien
Jared Spurgeon
Drew Doughty
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Jake Muzzin
Duncan Keith
Alex Edler
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Green
Brent Seabrook
Carey Price
Tukka Rask
Jaroslav Halak
Marc-André Fleury
Sergei Bobrovsky
Devan Dubnyk
Pekka Rinne
Ben Bishop

TB is a combination of drafting AND trading.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I dig Petry but Roman Hamrlik he is not. That dude was a bonafide rock for us.

The only thing they had in common was that they were 1st/2nd pairing tweeners.

You are right. Hamrlik was much more steady defensively, but Petry also brings a more dynamic offensive toolset than hammer at his somewhat advanced age.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
TB is a combination of drafting AND trading.

No, everything is because of drafting. If you draft a guy first overall, and the team is in no man's land for 13 years, but in the 14th year a virtually totally new team wins the Cup, it's because of the draft in 2004 (and maybe help from 2006) and nothing else.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
First of all, it's a business, so making the playoffs and making money comes first. Competing for the cup is obviously a goal of the team, but trust me, they're happy to just make the playoffs and make extra money. They're not going to win and be in a playoff race and just turn around and trade their best players. Secondly, the masses would be flooding the airwaves with a collective WTF if they traded any player that was playing great. Just doesn't make sense except for the people on this board.
thats some big losers mentality and not being visionary, people rather cry on why we haven't won a cup in 25 years. We accept mediocrity.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Let's talk about this. A "tweener" would be a guy between 50th and 70th best defenceman I guess?

Does that sound like Petry to you?

I didnt say that with the intention of putting a ranking on it.

I thought hamrlik did a decent job for the times that Markov was missing a ton of games, but he wasn't a a true top pairing guy.

Similarly, I think Petry did an okay job when weber was out, but again, not quite top pairing material.

Thats all my intention was.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
No, everything is because of drafting. If you draft a guy first overall, and the team is in no man's land for 13 years, but in the 14th year a virtually totally new team wins the Cup, it's because of the draft in 2004 (and maybe 2006) and nothing else.

No it's not. Do your research. Only Hedman and Stamkos in round 1. Kucherov round 2...Point round 3....trades....so finishing low and picking early guarantees nothing.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
thats some big losers mentality and not being visionary, people rather cry on why we haven't won a cup in 25 years. We accept mediocrity.

We accept? Lol...we don't have a choice. We're not the ones running the team. You can talk trades and drafts all day long but we don't have a say. And before you say vote with our wallets, that's exactly why they won't trade said players, because people go see them because they're playing good hockey and winning.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No it's not. Do your research. Only Hedman and Stamkos in round 1. Kucherov round 2...Point round 3....trades....so finishing low and picking early guarantees nothing.

I know you think you are making sense, but many here think you are still wrong.

After all the BEST chance to get elite talent is to draft high, therefore every move must be done with a view to maximizing the chances of a high pick.

Reactions: HOPE

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I know you think you are making sense, but many here think you are still wrong.

After all the BEST chance to get elite talent is to draft high, therefore every move must be done with a view to maximizing the chances of a high pick.

Think I'm making sense? No, I know I'm making sense. You will not win anything on drafting alone. Look at our first round picks over the last 10 years and try making a good team with that lol. This board couldn't evaluate talent or a hockey team if their lives depended on it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad