Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I always liked Petry; somehow he's continued to improve his game and reach his peak the last year+. His advanced stats say he's one of the league's top RHDs. Good gawd, imagine being able to sell high on this guy. I'd hate like hell to lose him, but think about going into the 2020 draft with our own top-12 pick (after trading Petry) plus the additional 1st-round pick from whichever team we trade him to. We'd suck until 2021, but would have a legit shot at some high end talent.

Not sure If I would trade Petry before Weber but the potential return matters if I would do it or not. As far as Petry's value? It's much higher than Muzzin was last year when the Leafs acquired him.

- 2019 1st (later part of the round... Bjornfot)
- Grundstrom (Grade B Pro prospect)
- Durzi (Grade B Prospect trending well in his draft +1)

How much more can the Habs get over the Muzzin return? That is the question cause the term left would be the same between Petry and Muzzin and points of trade (if we trade Petry this year). Do we get a 1st and grade A prospect? Doubt it. Not even Stone got a 1st and Grade A prospect... and that was a sign and trade value for Stone.

It's a nice thought where we can get a good haul for Petry but I think teams offer a 1st or grade A prospect and a 2nd. Id be shocked if we get both a 1st and grade A prospect. Do you think that is worth it? I'm not sure

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Norlinder? The group looks solid, but I don't see any elite potential defenseman. It will be a huge issue in the future if we don't have at least one elite defenseman by the time our prospects are in their prime.

I think Petry can possibly be that guy with a good support cast. Sign Petry for 3 years at a time like we did with Markov in his early 30's to mid+. Elder just signed for 2 years to stay in Vancouver. Why can't Petry do the same with Montreal?

When Petry is 33-35, Caufield will be 20-22 range and everyone in our current prospect pool older than him. Petry is showing no signs of slowing down at 31 and soon to be 32. He is a great skater and has stepped up to every challenge we have thrown at him in the last few seasons. Why not?

Reactions: phillytennis

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Petry can possibly be that guy with a good support cast. Sign Petry for 3 years at a time like we did with Markov in his early 30's to mid+. Elder just signed for 2 years to stay in Vancouver. Why can't Petry do the same with Montreal?

When Petry is 33-35, Caufield will be 20-22 range and everyone in our current prospect pool older than him. Petry is showing no signs of slowing down at 31 and soon to be 32. He is a great skater and has stepped up to every challenge we have thrown at him in the last few seasons. Why not?
Petry isn't a #1 dman right now and he likely won't become one as he ages. We need that stud #1 dman to be a competitive team, and as of right now, we don't seem to have one for the future.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry isn't a #1 dman right now and he likely won't become one as he ages. We need that stud #1 dman to be a competitive team, and as of right now, we don't seem to have one for the future.

Petry is a top 20 NHL Defenseman today IMO. That's #1 Dman in my books. He does it all. Points, goals, skating, great passing, big minutes at key times and he is physical in his own end.

There was an article that came out in Oct of 2018... They had Petry ranked 13. A lot of people made fun of that article but how does it look today? Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

I'd love for us to get a young stud to lead our group but we don't know how good/bad Romanov, Norlinder, Brook, Fleury, Harris, Struble are yet. Some mature later than others and we just don't know how they improve as they turn pro.

Tell me why Petry can't be our Giordano? Go look at where Giordano was when he was 31

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Petry is a top 20 NHL Defenseman today IMO. That's #1 Dman in my books. He does it all. Points, goals, skating, great passing, big minutes at key times and he is physical in his own end.

There was an article that came out in Oct of 2018... They had Petry ranked 13. A lot of people made fun of that article but how does it look today?

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca
Ya I can't agree. I'm a huge Petry fan but he is inconsistent and is prone to some really bad mistakes. He's a #2 dman imo. I also don't know if he can sustain this level of play for several years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya I can't agree. I'm a huge Petry fan but he is inconsistent and is prone to some really bad mistakes. He's a #2 dman imo. I also don't know if he can sustain this level of play for several years.

Doughty makes similar mistakes and he is a #1D. I think you are looking at the mistakes only with our assets and ignore what they do well. All players make mistakes and Petry has been a beast for us in the last few years. Without him, we have a massive hole to fill.

Why can't he sustain he level of play? He's a great skater and in really good shape? You think he starts to become a couch potato? I have more concerns with Weber cause his skating was never a strength so the concerns apply to him more than a great skater like Petry.

I just don't think Petry is getting the respect he deserves from our fan base. There is a shit load of things to like in his game. The more I think about it, he is a keeper if we can get him signed to the right term.

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since the 16/17 season...Petry is ranked
- 28th in total points
- 16th in total goals
- 10th in PP goals
- 23rd in PP points
- 20th in game winning goals
- 23rd in total shots
- 10th in games played

33rd in ATOI ;)

53-55% corsi with 47-49% of his starts in the defensive end.

I have him as a top 20 guy in the NHL based on his actual production and usage. I don't see him slowing down drastically cause his skating is in tip top shape at 31.

Reactions: scrubadam

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Doughty makes similar mistakes and he is a #1D. I think you are looking at the mistakes only with our assets and ignore what they do well. All players make mistakes and Petry has been a beast for us in the last few years. Without him, we have a massive hole to fill.

Why can't he sustain he level of play? He's a great skater and in really good shape? You think he starts to become a couch potato? I have more concerns with Weber cause his skating was never a strength so the concerns apply to him more than a great skater like Petry.

I just don't think Petry is getting the respect he deserves from our fan base. There is a **** load of things to like in his game. The more I think about it, he is a keeper if we can get him signed to the right term.
Doughty is far more consistent defensively and makes mistakes far less frequently than Petry. Petry is a huge part of the team and is great(probably my favorite Hab at the moment) but he is not a #1 D nor a top 20 dman in the league.

He can't sustain that level of play because players tend to diminish their skating ability as they age, not rocket science.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doughty is far more consistent defensively and makes mistakes far less frequently than Petry. Petry is a huge part of the team and is great(probably my favorite Hab at the moment) but he is not a #1 D nor a top 20 dman in the league.

He can't sustain that level of play because players tend to diminish their skating ability as they age, not rocket science.

Since the start of the 16/17 season... It's a lot closer in production you than realize. Doughty > Petry but Petry is top 20 in production when you factor in various stats of production in the last 3+ seasons.

Doughty
- 263 games played
- 25 to 27 minutes of TOI/game
- 393 blocks
- 296 giveaways
- 68 takeaways
- 159 pts
- 34 goals

Petry
- 261 games played
- 22 to 24 minutes of TOI/game
- 424 blocks
- 347 giveaways
- 108 takeaways
- 126 pts
- 35 goals

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Since the start of the 16/17 season... It's a lot closer in production you than realize. Doughty > Petry but Petry is top 20 in production when you factor in various stats of production in the last 3+ seasons.

Doughty
- 263 games played
- 393 blocks
- 296 giveaways
- 68 takeaways
- 159 pts
- 34 goals

Petry
- 261 games played
- 424 blocks
- 347 giveaways
- 108 takeaways
- 126 pts
- 35 goals

Thanks for that info - really interesting considering how Doughty is considered to be very much Elite.

Reactions: angusyoung

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I was laughed at when I suggested at the beginning of the season that Weber should be left unprotected during the Seattle expansion. Now i'm beginning to think even Seattle wouldn't touch that contract... Good luck moving that contract! Especially if he continues playing like he has...7 more years at 8M jesus. He is not gonna be a number 1 D at 37 (which is what he is getting paid at). He isn't even the number 1 d on this very team at 34. It's not gonna get any better. League keeps getting faster, and he keeps getting slower.
after this season, the remaining of his contract is builded that way ;

6m$- 6m$-3m$-1m$-1m$-1m$-1m$

In reality, poor teams loved that kind of contract where they have a big cap space value (7,857m $)but low money to pay 3-1-1-1-1 m$ . When Weber will start his 3m$ season , he will already have made 103 m$ of his 110m$ contract . Not sure he will continue to play at that point for 5 seasons to gain only a total of 7m$ .
And if he decides to retire before the end of the terms,the Preds are the team that are going to be in trouble, not the Habs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I love Petry but plz don’t compare him to Doughty they are not at the same level. Doughty is elite in every part of the game.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Obviously, he's a #1 dman. He takes big minutes. He's doing well all the tasks we're assigning to him. So don't even try to get rid of Petry.

Reactions: angusyoung

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not sure If I would trade Petry before Weber but the potential return matters if I would do it or not. As far as Petry's value? It's much higher than Muzzin was last year when the Leafs acquired him.

- 2019 1st (later part of the round... Bjornfot)
- Grundstrom (Grade B Pro prospect)
- Durzi (Grade B Prospect trending well in his draft +1)

How much more can the Habs get over the Muzzin return? That is the question cause the term left would be the same between Petry and Muzzin and points of trade (if we trade Petry this year). Do we get a 1st and grade A prospect? Doubt it. Not even Stone got a 1st and Grade A prospect... and that was a sign and trade value for Stone.

It's a nice thought where we can get a good haul for Petry but I think teams offer a 1st or grade A prospect and a 2nd. Id be shocked if we get both a 1st and grade A prospect. Do you think that is worth it? I'm not sure
Lot of team are against the cap, we have the ability to retain 50% so that might help us maximize return but I don’t see why we trade him this years unless someone would be willing to over paid... late first and B type prospect might not even make the NHL or really have any significant impact, what ever package you can have this years you likely to be able to get almost the same next year at the TDL so their no point since the we don’t have anyone ready to step up and take is minutes... also if we are trading a D and looking at maximizing value I can’t see why we wouldn’t trade Weber first.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lot of team are against the cap, we have the ability to retain 50% so that might help us maximize return but I don’t see why we trade him this years unless someone would be willing to over paid... late first and B type prospect might not even make the NHL or really have any significant impact, what ever package you can have this years you likely to be able to get almost the same next year at the TDL so their no point since the we don’t have anyone ready to step up and take is minutes... also if we are trading a D and looking at maximizing value I can’t see why we wouldn’t trade Weber first.

I think I would wait till July of 2020 where we can start to engage in what it takes to re-sign Gallagher, Petry, Danault while we also have to extend the RFA's in Kotkaniemi and Poehling.

I am not sure what I would like more. A 33 year old Petry for 2 or 3 years or a 37 year old Weber who is likely to retire when his salary drops to $1M. I think some would be quick to trade Petry but I've changed my mind on that. I think we need him and I would sign him if he was willing to sign a Edler type contract to stay in Montreal.

If some team wants to give pry away value, of course we will listen but doubt Petry has that kind of value even if I feel he is a top 20 D man in the league over the past few seasons.

I would trade Weber if we got fair return and I would be willing to retain down to $6.5M but we are not retaining cause he sucks, we are retaining to help the other team fit him in their cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thanks for that info - really interesting considering how Doughty is considered to be very much Elite.

Habs fans need to realize how good Petry has been for us. He's no Doughty but he has produce for us and his production speaks for itself and measures up to some of the best here and there.

Saying he turns the puck over is somewhat true but it's disingenuous to nit pick his game and not look at a guy like Doughty who you can nit pick on his game as well.

Reactions: Walrus26

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I love Petry but plz don’t compare him to Doughty they are not at the same level. Doughty is elite in every part of the game.

It's a stat comparison to show you that Petry is not as bad as some pretend. Doughty is better and I said that. But showing each others stats in the same span shows you something. You going to ignore it cause you think we are not allowed to look at Petry and how he measures up to others? I'll show you some more guys for you to look at. If you want to see any other player added, let me know and I'll add them

Since the start of the 16/17 season...

Petry
- 261 games played
- 424 blocks
- 347 giveaways
- 108 takeaways
- 126 pts
- 35 goals

Doughty
- 263 games played
- 393 blocks
- 296 giveaways
- 68 takeaways
- 159 pts
- 34 goals

Subban
- 227 games played
- 22 to 25 minutes of TOI/game
- 285 blocks
- 232 giveaways
- 100 takeaways
- 135 pts
- 37 goals

Weber
- 180 games played
- 23 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 360 blocks
- 199 giveaways
- 42 takeaways
- 105 pts
- 42 goals

Josi
- 247 games played
- 24 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 412 blocks
- 188 giveaways
- 84 takeaways
- 176 pts
- 46 goals

Giordano
- 261 games played
- 23 to 25 minutes of TOI/game
- 532 blocks
- 168 giveaways
- 181 takeaways
- 164 pts
- 46 goals

Muzzin
- 254 games played
- 21 to 23 minutes of TOI/game
- 410 blocks
- 253 giveaways
- 62 takeaways
- 116 pts
- 29 goals

Pietrangelo
- 248 games played
- 484 blocks
- 135 giveaways
- 170 takeaways
- 160 pts
- 48 goals

Burns
- 265 games played
- 407 blocks
- 419 giveaways
- 228 takeaways
- 243 pts
- 61 goals

Rielly
- 253 games played
- 21 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 345 blocks
- 268 giveaways
- 137 takeaways
- 167 pts
- 35 goals

Last edited:

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Petry played 32 minutes yesterday but apparently it's not enough to be considered a #1 D.

Fans always underestimate their own team, it's ok.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry played 32 minutes yesterday but apparently it's not enough to be considered a #1 D.

Fans always underestimate their own team, it's ok.

I don't think last night was his best game but man, the guy has been a beast for us in the last few seasons and his production proves he is a top 20 NHL defenseman. Problem with some people is they look at who he was before the 16/17 season. It's been 3+ years now of him producing to this level.

If we end up trading him or Weber, the interest from around the league would be more than a few teams. The more I think about it, I would try my best to extend Petry for 2 or 3 more years (age 33-36 ish). Weber is the one that is our oldest piece and likely is not around when our kids turn 22/23 ish.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's a stat comparison to show you that Petry is not as bad as some pretend. Doughty is better and I said that. But showing each others stats in the same span shows you something. You going to ignore it cause you think we are not allowed to look at Petry and how he measures up to others? I'll show you some more guys for you to look at. If you want to see any other player added, let me know and I'll add them

Since the start of the 16/17 season...

Petry
- 261 games played
- 424 blocks
- 347 giveaways
- 108 takeaways
- 126 pts
- 35 goals

Doughty
- 263 games played
- 393 blocks
- 296 giveaways
- 68 takeaways
- 159 pts
- 34 goals

Subban
- 227 games played
- 22 to 25 minutes of TOI/game
- 285 blocks
- 232 giveaways
- 100 takeaways
- 135 pts
- 37 goals

Weber
- 180 games played
- 360 blocks
- 199 giveaways
- 42 takeaways
- 105 pts
- 42 goals

Josi
- 247 games played
- 412 blocks
- 188 giveaways
- 84 takeaways
- 176 pts
- 46 goals

Giordano
- 261 games played
- 23 to 25 minutes of TOI/game
- 532 blocks
- 168 giveaways
- 181 takeaways
- 164 pts
- 46 goals

Muzzin
- 254 games played
- 21 to 23 minutes of TOI/game
- 410 blocks
- 253 giveaways
- 62 takeaways
- 116 pts
- 29 goals

I actually didn't realize how favourably he compares to other elite D. Not bad.

The truth seems to be somewhere in the middle. If he's a #1D he's a low end #1 which is still amazing.

Can you win a Cup with him as your #1? Hard to say but like you said with a good supporting cast (or more so an amazing supporting cast) it could be possible.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I actually didn't realize how favourably he compares to other elite D. Not bad.

The truth seems to be somewhere in the middle. If he's a #1D he's a low end #1 which is still amazing.

Can you win a Cup with him as your #1? Hard to say but like you said with a good supporting cast (or more so an amazing supporting cast) it could be possible.

Agreed. He's not elite level but I would make an argument he is in the top 20 or 15-20 range based on his last 3 years of production. He's not perfect and he can turn it over but so does Doughty for example. Sometimes, I think fans think the elite level ones don't make any mistakes at all. Girodano for example is a beast at 36. Not sure if anybody matches up to him with his takeaway/turnover ratios and he just had a 74 pt season.

Can you win a cup with him as your #1D? I think we can but the pieces after him need to be very good as well. Lets see how he compares to Pietrangelo?

Edit: Wow... Pietrangelo is even better than I expected. From what I looked at today, Pietrangelo and Giordano are among the best in all categories. I added Burns and Rielly as well.

Petry
- 261 games played
- 424 blocks
- 347 giveaways
- 108 takeaways
- 126 pts
- 35 goals

Pietrangelo
- 248 games played
- 484 blocks
- 135 giveaways
- 170 takeaways
- 160 pts
- 48 goals

Burns
- 265 games played
- 407 blocks
- 419 giveaways
- 228 takeaways
- 243 pts
- 61 goals

Rielly
- 253 games played
- 21 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 345 blocks
- 268 giveaways
- 137 takeaways
- 167 pts
- 35 goals

Last edited:

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
He's playing well........ No real criticism to say about the guy.. which is a great thing.

You keep doing you Jeff... I'll sit here smiling and stay silent.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Get back to me after the Habs playoffs finish this year, about the worth of both Weber & Petry along with their teammates, not before that thanks!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad