Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I would most certainly trade Petry but not because of Brook, depending on the return of course.

So far this season, I believe based on Petry's ability to skate so well, his size, his physical play, his consistent play both offensively and defensively made him our best defenseman....why would trade our best defenseman???
He and a much improved Shea Weber anchor our defense.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
So far this season, I believe based on Petry's ability to skate so well, his size, his physical play, his consistent play both offensively and defensively made him our best defenseman....why would trade our best defenseman???
Because "sell high buy low", he's aging and he value has never been higher. Also, we're not winning anything this year, so let's stock up for the future.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why did Bergevin trade our best forward two years ago ? Why did Bergevin trade our best player three years ago? Why did Bergevin let go of the 2nd best forward two years ago? Why did Bergevin let go our 2nd best Dman two years ago?

Max Pacioretty based on his ability to skate so well, his size, his goal scoring, his consistent play both offensively and defensively made him our best player.... lol.

This is something that is really beyond me with the keep Petry crowd. Most of the same people that were so happy when Bergevin ran out Pac, Markov, Rads, Subban...

Reactions: JoelWarlord

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I would do it because I don't care about this season. To me the Habs should pick a direction and go hard at it, so either trade to try and build a contender around Price, Weber, Petry, Domi, Gallagher, Drouin, etc... or if not and you don't think you can do that, then sell some assets like Petry, Tatar, etc.. if the price is right. We are just spinning our wheels, now maybe in time it will benefit us but we have seen this song and dance before, barely miss the playoffs or knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round, draft most years between 12th and 25th, miss out on high end talent and the cycle repeats it's self over and over and over.

It's been 25 years and counting yet it's almost impossible for us to even make the conference finals over that span let alone a cup. So me I would try a different approach, clearly that's not happening. I just think they are half assing it, they trade Shaw, Pac, they sign depth defensemen and back up goalies, they trade for the likes of Weal, Thompson, Weise.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I would do it because I don't care about this season. To me the Habs should pick a direction and go hard at it, so either trade to try and build a contender around Price, Weber, Petry, Domi, Gallagher, Drouin, etc... or if not and you don't think you can do that, then sell some assets like Petry, Tatar, etc.. if the price is right. We are just spinning our wheels, now maybe in time it will benefit us but we have seen this song and dance before, barely miss the playoffs or knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round, draft most years between 12th and 25th, miss out on high end talent and the cycle repeats it's self over and over and over.

It's been 25 years and counting yet it's almost impossible for us to even make the conference finals over that span let alone a cup. So me I would try a different approach, clearly that's not happening. I just think they are half assing it, they trade Shaw, Pac, they sign depth defensemen and back up goalies, they trade for the likes of Weal, Thompson, Weise.
The problem with that is with the exception of a legit contenders and a few bottom feeders, because the standings are so close most of the teams are in the same situation. All these gm's think their team is 1 or 2 moves away for beig able to win a cup now. Most teams in the middle of the pack won't blow it all up because they all think they're close to separating from the herd. Looking at some of the playoff results the last few years, you can't blame them for thinking that way whether it's wrong or right. Expansion team Vegas goes to cup final, Blues were last place in February and won a cup same season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The problem with that is with the exception of a legit contenders and a few bottom feeders, because the standings are so close most of the teams are in the same situation. All these gm's think their team is 1 or 2 moves away for beig able to win a cup now. Most teams in the middle of the pack won't blow it all up because they all think they're close to separating from the herd. Looking at some of the playoff results the last few years, you can't blame them for thinking that way whether it's wrong or right. Expansion team Vegas goes to cup final, Blues were last place in February and won a cup same season.

so then do more then just adding Weal, Thompson, Chiarot, Kindaid. Give the team a better chance to make the playoffs and not just as a wild card. If that's what you think your team can do, if not then sell assets while you feel they are at their peak value imo. That's the sign of a smart GM, not losing Petry as a UFA or re-signing him to a bad contract and hope his play doesn't regress as he gets older.

We'll see what happens but it's like they don't know what to do, they don't seem to want to give up the high picks or prospects yet they have tons of cap space each year and can't get into the playoffs so they just waste more of Price, Weber, Petry, etc...

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Because "sell high buy low", he's aging and he value has never been higher. Also, we're not winning anything this year, so let's stock up for the future.
Wouldn’t Petry value be almost as good at next year TDL? If we are selling high wouldn’t we want to move Weber 1st the risk of is value regressing seem much higher And not sure he be also to carry the load for Fleury, Juulsen and Brook.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I have the impression Petry will age really well, kinda like Bouwmeester. That smooth skating stride will ensure he's around for a while.

Reactions: phillytennis

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
so then do more then just adding Weal, Thompson, Chiarot, Kindaid. Give the team a better chance to make the playoffs and not just as a wild card. If that's what you think your team can do, if not then sell assets while you feel they are at their peak value imo. That's the sign of a smart GM, not losing Petry as a UFA or re-signing him to a bad contract and hope his play doesn't regress as he gets older.

We'll see what happens but it's like they don't know what to do, they don't seem to want to give up the high picks or prospects yet they have tons of cap space each year and can't get into the playoffs so they just waste more of Price, Weber, Petry, etc...
I'm sure he would like to and I'm sure he's tried. He just doesn't want totally give a way the future. I think after this season it will be much easier for him to deal draft picks and prospects because he will have a better idea of what exactly he has with Suzuki, KK, Poelhing, Fleury, Julssen, etc...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wouldn’t Petry value be almost as good at next year TDL? If we are selling high wouldn’t we want to move Weber 1st the risk of is value regressing seem much higher And not sure he be also to carry the load for Fleury, Juulsen and Brook.

He'll be a UFA at the end of that year so as a rental you may not get as much depending on how he's playing and if says anything about his intentions for the future (like he doesn't want to sign with certain teams or is going to hit the UFA market no matter what, etc..)

Weber is a tougher move because not many playoff teams can take on his 7.8M cap hit. Plus I like him more as a future mentor although if it's Petry then so be it. I just think you can get more for Petry and it would be easier to move him. That said I don't see it happening although I didn't see him trading Shaw when he did so I guess expect the unexpected.

I have the impression Petry will age really well, kinda like Bouwmeester. That smooth skating stride will ensure he's around for a while.

that's possible, it's a risk management would need to be comfortable taking as I would think they could get something really good for Petry. Like say if the panthers called and offered Borgstrom and their unprotected '20 1st. So you would have to gamble that Petry would re-sign and would be worth the contract over the life without much downgrade. His skating is very smooth and he's just been hitting career years so it's certainly likely he would age well but if you are wrong that will sting badly to lose say a top 20 pick and a skilled young center with size that perhaps would form a good duo with Kotka in time.

Of course i have no clue what Petry's value is last year or this year, I just assume his value is pretty good although it's a moot point since he's not going anywhere and I don't think the Habs are either as i would be surprised if they make the wild card although I didn't expect their offense to be this good so perhaps I'm wrong.

Reactions: DangerDave

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Who knows? What if he gets injured before then? What if the quality of his play drops off for some reason?

And I'm personally open to trading both, depending on the offers we get. Same for Price. They're unfortunately on the wrong side of 30 and our younger core isn't ready to win yet.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Because were not winning anything even with this "awesome" player.

They traded away their second, which has landed in the hands of the Caps with whom they drafted the excellent young Dman Jonas Siegenthaler, who's in the NHL with the caps, and with the fourth rounder they drafted Caleb Jones, who's also in the NHL.

They sent the 2nd along with other picks for Talbot.

If we follow your analysis, we should also trade Weber, Price, Danault, Tatar...hey, by the time we can start thinking of winning again, Gallagher will be getting old...so I guess we should consider trading him also???...why, bother watching the Habs????

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I think it all depends on where this team is at near the TDL. I don't see them trading Petry if the team is firmly in the playoff picture. Trading Petry is probably the right move though and the return for him right now would be astronomical.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If we follow your analysis, we should also trade Weber, Price, Danault, Tatar...hey, by the time we can start thinking of winning again, Gallagher will be getting old...so I guess we should consider trading him also???...why, bother watching the Habs????

I would trade Petry and Tatar especially if they are out of a playoff spot. But I just don't think this team can win a cup any time soon and I don't care about being a wild card team and drafting 17th since i've seen that movie many times already.

I'd keep Weber and Gallagher to mentor the young kids coming up. But clearly the Habs feel the same way they just don't seem to know what to do about it. When your owner comes out and says it could take up to 8 years, that's all but saying buckle up for a long and bumpy ride unless we get lucky. To publicly say that to a rabid fan base was surprising to say the least.

I think it all depends on where this team is at near the TDL. I don't see them trading Petry if the team is firmly in the playoff picture. Trading Petry is probably the right move though and the return for him right now would be astronomical.

They won't trade him as I just don't think they really know what they are doing. The Pac and Shaw trades are clearly moves for the future and they had done almost nothing to try and win now in terms of trades/UFA's in the last say 10 months or so. So why only trade Pac and Shaw so that you are still good enough to be in the race but miss out on a top pick pre lottery. I like that they are planning for the future, but I wish they did more for it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
-4 last night, and directly caused 3 goals..............scratch this guy for a game, and put Folin in...............yes Petry was that bad last night. He could use a dog or two and watch from up top.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
-4 last night, and directly caused 3 goals..............scratch this guy for a game, and put Folin in...............yes Petry was that bad last night. He could use a dog or two and watch from up top.
Folin ? Thats gonna end up good.

Why not just trade him instead?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Then go out and actually make those 1-2 moves.

If Bergevin really thinks he's close to being a contender with the current core then he should go out and add core players. Instead year after year he's just shuffling his 4th liners, depth D, and back up goalie and so we always remain those 1-2 players shy.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Anyone else notice a monumental drop in Petry's play? I mean seriously he has been beyond bad during this entire losing streak

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He was much better with Chiarot covering for him.
Conversly, Weber has exploded offensively with chiarot. Maybe Ben isn’t the passenger we were told he was?

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad